Researcher Alan Aragon calls us liars and binge eaters

Options
karaeve
karaeve Posts: 1 Member
Hi. New to this lifestyle but I was stuck in thev1200 calorie with excessive excise cycle. I was still gaining weight. Each pregnancy i would take some weight off but by starving and over exercising. Now I'm 41 with 5 kids and stuck 25 pounds over.

I found this website after carefully tracking for months to gain 4 pounds. I realized my TDEE and that I had Been starving for years. Doing a reset now and feel that it's hard to eat all the food. Also it made me realize that even my binge days were below 1500 calories.

The following article by alan Aragon, an exercise researcher from your website basically says that women like us who claim no weight loss on a deficit are hysterical, head cases who are over estimating food and lying about binging because calorie deficits always produce weight loss abs no study shows otherwise. He says we jneed st have water weight. He is very insulting and I futiating. He even admits that no research was done on women.
Please read

http://www.iifym.com/iifym-com-interviews-alan-aragon/

What do you all think? I am trying to do more research about this because I don't want to get stuck in another fad. But seriously his tone and attitude is bull.

Thanks.

Replies

• Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Im not sure what you are reading in this article, but i dont see anything in it that says the claims you state above, about being a head case or in hysterics or lying about binging? Are you sure you posted the right article?
    Also Alan Argon is not part of EM2WL... so im not sure what you mean by that?

When it comes down to it, you have to decide what is best for you. You say you realize you have been undereating for years and well below your tdee... and even binge days were below 1500.. Is this something you are trying yo change and eat more and enjoy your life? If so, I wouldn't put too much stock into single articles. A lot of times the diet industry is YEARS away from what science has actually proved to be correct. If you are interested, please read through our stickies at the top of the community page to get you started on what WE believe to be the best way to get out of the diet mentalities.

Feel free to ask more questions!

Kelly
    Team EM2WL
  • kmac1196
    kmac1196 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    And I have to speak for my man (not really) Alan. He's not an exercise researchers. He's a formally educated nutrition scientist. Many of his papers are published (pub med) and he's brilliant.

And he does believe that 2 weeks at maintenance should be enough to bring you back to ore dieting metabolism. He works with sports athletes and contest dieters.

Take away what you will but at least be correct in who he is and what he said.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Ditto's to not finding what you are commenting on.

But a deficit always works to cause weight loss.

The problem is a deficit from an estimate that may or may not be true.

The problem is a deficit that causes reality to shift and therefore it's not as much as thought.

The problem is a deficit that is so extreme not only does body adapt, but causes negative side effects.

Yes, you keep eating in a deficit and eventually you will lose fat, and at that point body is usually so stressed out you are gaining cortisol caused water weight gain at same time so scale weight may not move, and losing some muscle mass which isn't good for future changes, and usually isn't sustainable or adhere-able.

He speaking against those that claim eating in a deficit and not losing weight. Not possible. Just proves not in a deficit.

You may be in a deficit to potential TDEE, but your literal right then TDEE is obviously lower than you think.
    Or you are eating much more than you think from poor logging skills and built in accuracies.

And was commented, he's not part of diet industry - he rails against them usually.
    His research studies and use of them for the nutrition focus is there at the top.