Eating before walking

Options
Bob314159
Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
I'm going on vacation which will have several days of street walking and have been upping my amount of daily walking to try and prepare. I'm finding that I'm running out of steam. I can usually get about 25 minutes at an ok speed of 2.9 mph, then my speed drops to 2.6 and after I get to 45 minutes I'm hardly able to move. After a few hours I can go out and walk again.

All the advice I get is eat more carbs 30 minutes before walking. I'm eating a 350 low carb breakfast.

Replies

• ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    How's your salt intake? Try drinking a bouillon cube about an hour before you got out walking.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Carnitine can help your muscle mitochondria utilize whatever fuel is available, whatever it is. I got a bottle on amazon for $7. Helped me through very intense moves in the last month... (It's an amino acid - you can probably get it in a pre-workout formula, but I do great with just the one pill.)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I'm having a deja vu moment here:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10556308/fasting-issue#latest

Are you still trying to walk while fasted?

I too suggest sodium if you are feeling like you are running out of steam. Are you still getting a hit of sodium, pre walk?

I'm reminded of your medical diagnosis. Have you spoken with your doc regarding "hardly able to move" after a certain point? Did you get any recommendations or suggestions other than rest?

In regards to the current thread: I walk off and on. Usually 3-4 miles at a time. Occassionally I will go 4-6 miles. On the occasion I feel as if I am running out of steam, a salty boullion cube helps immensely. I carry them in my backpack. I've never "carbed up" for energy prior to or during a walk.
  • Bob314159
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    How's your salt intake? Try drinking a bouillon cube about an hour before you got out walking.

Not an issue- I fill up every morning an again when I walk
  • Bob314159
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »

Are you still trying to walk while fasted? - no I gave up fasting for now

I too suggest sodium if you are feeling like you are running out of steam. Are you still getting a hit of sodium, pre walk? yes

I'm reminded of your medical diagnosis. Have you spoken with your doc regarding "hardly able to move" after a certain point? Did you get any recommendations or suggestions other than rest? nope - he says its a hip problem - I don't - I have one theory its a damaged psoas muscle

In regards to the current thread: I walk off and on. Usually 3-4 miles at a time. Occassionally I will go 4-6 miles. On the occasion I feel as if I am running out of steam, a salty boullion cube helps immensely. I carry them in my backpack. I've never "carbed up" for energy prior to or during a walk.

• mekaerwin1
    mekaerwin1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    @Bob314159 Please be careful to consult with a nutritionist or another doctor (if you're doctor is not up to par) prior to eating salt or starving yourself. We all need carbs in our diet and some people actually need more than others because of health concerns. You may want to be checked for diabetes - if you are getting so weak that you can't move. That is extremely dangerous and nothing to be taken lightly. There is a thing called diabetic coma when the blood sugar drops too low. This may not be your problem at all, but those are symptoms that I just wouldn't play with. -concerned
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Technically the body has NO minimum requirement for carbs, as glucose can be provided for the brain through gluconeogenesis - it is not like essential amino acids (protein) or essential fatty acids (fats). Diabetic ketoacisosis ('diabetic coma') is not the same as ketosis.
    BUT I do agree that it would be good to consult with another health provider (perhaps a sports physio if you think your psoas is a problem).
    Good luck Bob!
    Keep us updated.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Bob314159 wrote: »
    kpk54 wrote: »

Are you still trying to walk while fasted? - no I gave up fasting for now

I too suggest sodium if you are feeling like you are running out of steam. Are you still getting a hit of sodium, pre walk? yes

I'm reminded of your medical diagnosis. Have you spoken with your doc regarding "hardly able to move" after a certain point? Did you get any recommendations or suggestions other than rest? nope - he says its a hip problem - I don't - I have one theory its a damaged psoas muscle

Oh ok. I was thinking more in regards to your Parkinson's when I mentioned "doc" but imagine you and your neurologist are pretty on top of that.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Kerrist, you're going on vacation, not a marathon! Take it easy, enjoy the scenery and quit thinking about speed vs intake, nutrition vs ability.... Hang loose have fun and relax!

(Is my take....)
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Technically the body has NO minimum requirement for carbs, as glucose can be provided for the brain through gluconeogenesis - it is not like essential amino acids (protein) or essential fatty acids (fats). Diabetic ketoacisosis ('diabetic coma') is not the same as ketosis.
    BUT I do agree that it would be good to consult with another health provider (perhaps a sports physio if you think your psoas is a problem).
    Good luck Bob!
    Keep us updated.

@canadjineh, I think the idea may be dangerous low BG (DKA requires high BG), but that seems like an unlikely scenario, especially for someone in nutritional ketosis (and who's not overdosing diabetes meds that can cause hypoglycemia)....

Sports physio sounds like a good ticket.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    OOOPS! I obviously need more sleep and less multitasking. Apologies to all readers/posters! Thanks Ralflott for correcting the booboo.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    OOOPS! I obviously need more sleep and less multitasking. Apologies to all readers/posters! Thanks Ralflott for correcting the booboo.

Same church, next pew, eh?

The nail in the carb coffin for me (after decades of misguided LFHC) was reading Phinney and Volek's reports of functional (asymptomatic) BG in endurance athletes dipping down well below what conventional ADA "wisdom" would insist is an emergency....
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Maybe try stopping and stretching every 20 min? Particularly if you think it may be a muscle issue. Or try strengthening that muscle with other exercises to see if that helps build your walking endurance.
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    No exercise on a LCHF requires more carbs. Walking certainly would not. If you truly want to burn more fat, cut out the carbs.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Exercise will only require carbs if you are not adapted to using fat for fuel. The body must build new mitochondria for the muscles to use to burn ketones instead of carbs/glucose. If you have an impairment in this process (including not enough time, health issues, etc.), it could be why your body seems to hit a wall and require recuperation time.
  • MurpleCat
    MurpleCat Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Its probably good to get screened for diabetes, just to be safe.

Hypoglycemia is low blood sugar, and will make you feel shaky, dizzy, tunnel-vision.
    DKA is related to high blood sugar, and can be accompanied by muscle weakness, fatigue, and rapid weight loss over time. When acute, it will present as thirst, vomiting, etc. That is, in fact, how I found out I was T1D, after an initial T2 diagnosis. It got to the point where I couldn't dry my hair in the morning because my arms were too tired to hold the hairdryer up.

Its worth checking out before it becomes acute -- I had an acute DKA in September, went to the ER, and that's when they figured out, oh wait, she's just not making enough insulin. That's T1D. A few weeks on insulin and I was feeling much better. Stamina returned eventually & I'm playing tennis 3x a week now :smile: YMMV, especially if you've never played tennis before.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    MurpleCat wrote: »
    Its probably good to get screened for diabetes, just to be safe.

Hypoglycemia is low blood sugar, and will make you feel shaky, dizzy, tunnel-vision.
    DKA is related to high blood sugar, and can be accompanied by muscle weakness, fatigue, and rapid weight loss over time. When acute, it will present as thirst, vomiting, etc. That is, in fact, how I found out I was T1D, after an initial T2 diagnosis. It got to the point where I couldn't dry my hair in the morning because my arms were too tired to hold the hairdryer up.

Its worth checking out before it becomes acute -- I had an acute DKA in September, went to the ER, and that's when they figured out, oh wait, she's just not making enough insulin. That's T1D. A few weeks on insulin and I was feeling much better. Stamina returned eventually & I'm playing tennis 3x a week now :smile: YMMV, especially if you've never played tennis before.

How old were you when you were diagnosed as T1D?
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @RalfLott - Not the person in question, but a coworker I just met for the first time about 2 weeks ago, she was diagnosed as LADA T1D in her 50's.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @RalfLott - Not the person in question, but a coworker I just met for the first time about 2 weeks ago, she was diagnosed as LADA T1D in her 50's.

Wow.... I hope her docs were on the ball enough to get her diagnosed quickly.
  • Bob314159
    Options
    MurpleCat wrote: »
    Its probably good to get screened for diabetes, just to be safe. - Last blood tests were totally normal

No dizziness, shaking, tunnel-vision, muscle pain - just not able to walk fast after 30 minutes - feels more like I would expect after 2 hours of walking