Keto and cardio

Options
spyka
spyka Posts: 8 Member
I have struggled with my weight since my teenage years even though I have been active in martial arts since the age of 15. I started Keto about 6 weeks ago and have lost 15lbs. I do however struggle though each and every workout. I don't have the energy to get through a kickboxing class or make it though one roll during Jiu jitsu. I have increased my fats and I only eat 20-25 net carbs per day. Is this normal? Or am I doing something wrong?

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Get about 5000mg or more of sodium every single day. Get 1000mg 30 minutes before your workout.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WNV0GJcrqp4

Probably no need to increase fat.
    How much protein are you eating?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Did you just start? (Oh, I see it's been 6 weeks -- any improvement at all?) It's normal to have difficulty with cardio at first as your body gets better at fueling with fat. I run, and I noticed it enormously (even though I was supplementing electrolytes and had no other issues) at first. I also felt it when trying to run up stairs (something I do in daily life). It got better after about a week or two and has continued to improve.

Here's a discussion/timeline that might help: http://caloriesproper.com/a-timeline-of-ketoadaptation/
  • spyka
    spyka Posts: 8 Member
    Options

I am eating about 100-120grams of protein daily. Well that's what my goal is set at. In all actuality I'm prob eating around 90 grams.
  • etruscansunited
    etruscansunited Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It will take longer than 6 weeks for training adaptation on top of daily living ketogenic adaptation.
    Very very limited published science based research on exactly the same parameters + experience direct and observational + hypotheses suggests to me that, with your sports' energy demand profile, if your energy demands will be primarily drawn from fatty acids then you should benefit from both aerobic training and strength endurance training as well as "cardio" training.
    Modes of training, load, proportion - very individual to you. Always start moderately and take a tediously long time to increase the other training liads.
    Outlandish guess: if you sustain keto adaptation then after 6 months you will definitely notice significant improvements in sport and by 12 months you will be amazed how (positively) differently your body trains and competes.

Excess protein can be a metabolic problem. Can't say what is needed for you. Some measure protein needs by grams /body mass kg/day then adjust that for m vs f then for degree of physical activity.
    I'm not calorie restricted; carbs per day can be near zero or 10 to 20 (rarely up to 30g).
    So, protein can be 15-20% per day. Anymore can lead to adverse effects on me.

I think the challenge for keto adpapted people who regularly exercise moderately or harder (and absent special nutritional needs) is in consuming enough fats, fats of the right kinds and especially trying for the ideal 1:1 ratio of omega 3:omega 6.
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    General rule of
    spyka wrote: »

I am eating about 100-120grams of protein daily. Well that's what my goal is set at. In all actuality I'm prob eating around 90 grams.

General rule of thumb is 72.5% Fat, 22.5% Protein, 5.0% carbs. Are you following that? If not, that may be why. I felt the energy drop right away, and I am one week in, but it is starting to improve. Just make sure you're getting enough salt, Magnesium, and Potassium, and it should improve soon.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    General rule of

General rule of thumb is 72.5% Fat, 22.5% Protein, 5.0% carbs. Are you following that? If not, that may be why. I felt the energy drop right away, and I am one week in, but it is starting to improve. Just make sure you're getting enough salt, Magnesium, and Potassium, and it should improve soon.

That's a fair general rule of thumb for TDEE... keep in mind that that total of 72+% fat INCLUDES bodyfat burned. That is not your dietary intake of bodyfat loss is your goal.
    You can use a generic macro set like that to calculate from TDEE then subtract fat to create the calorie deficit.
    odm8hoa7n4xs.jpg
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    General rule of

That's a fair general rule of thumb for TDEE... keep in mind that that total of 72+% fat INCLUDES bodyfat burned. That is not your dietary intake of bodyfat loss is your goal.
    You can use a generic macro set like that to calculate from TDEE then subtract fat to create the calorie deficit.
    odm8hoa7n4xs.jpg

This is brilliant. Out of the 4 different web pages I read over and over again, I never found any information like this, but it makes perfect sense and will be so much easier for me to follow!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this group and mostly just lurk. I'm about 2 months into keto and have found that the electrolytes are the key for me. I do weight lifting, BJJ and kickboxing. Yesterday was an hour of KB in the morning and 90 minutes of BJJ in the evening with about 40 minutes of hard rolling. I made sure I was hydrated and took a salt stick cap before hand and had a bottle of water with electrolytes mat side for during. I'd sip a little between rounds and it kept me going through the whole class. It was really warm and I'm sure I sweat out everything I put in but I felt really good. I did wake up during the night and take another salt stick cap because my legs were cramping. After that kicked in I slept like a baby.