Options
mtague7733
mtague7733 Posts: 33 Member
Are the carbs in the nutrition section NET carbs? Thanks

Replies

• timmyttt0418
    timmyttt0418 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    No, you have to take your total carbs and subtract your fiber to get the net carbs.
  • 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on where you live. In the US, no.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    And they also don't delete sugar alcohols or even categorize them so you can subtract them from your day each evening like you can with fiber. It's ridiculous. It's a tiny bit of code. Since food count them it should be an easy fix if they cared at all about low carb vs low calorie dieting.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm salty. Lol.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    The difference between the thoughts on fiber and sugar alcohols is that science shows that different people have different impact from the various types of impact of sugar alcohols. Insoluble fiber is universal in how it reacts as far as being "carb-processed." I think it is Erythritol that isn't supposed to affect folks, but it still triggers reactions in me personally (perhaps not directly, but I can feel the effects, just as if I've had sugar itself or splenda - liquids give me less reactions, even without a carby filler in the powders).

I think the commonly accepted math is that you should only subtract half of the sugar alcohols maximum, based on average/majority of reactions... And I think we all know that maltitol is the worst ever, as far as digestive distress from overconsumption!

So, since there is no "universally" agreed rule for sugar alcohols, it's hard for them to base code on it. And having a ton of options for folks to turn off and on is likely something that should be on a paid platform so as to justify the additional support needed, etc.

My general rule is that if the carb and fiber numbers are almost exact and it isn't chia seeds or psyllium, then fiber has almost always been subtracted already. If fiber is higher than carbs, it has already been subtracted. If I am not sure, I check a site like fat secret for the carbs with fiber included count.

And it isn't so much that they don't care about low carbing, it's more that we're such a small percentage of the total population that it would create confusion for "mainstream users" or overwhelm the platform, which as we all know, is precariously balanced and has massive malfunctions following any updates...
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't subtract sugar alcohols at all.
  • mtague7733
    mtague7733 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all!!