***WORK IT OUT*** - Summer 2017 - Weeks 1 & 2 Discussion

124»

Replies

• dmiller4129
    dmiller4129 Posts: 44 Member
    I've keeping up with my workout challenges. I only missed one this week. Good is a little tougher...I do really well with breakfast and lunch but when dinner comes along everything goes out the window. I forget to calculate the calories when cooking and I need to take portion control more seriously!!! Next week will be better! :)
  • tlee278
    tlee278 Posts: 35 Member
    blairmohr wrote: »
    @tlee278 is planet fitness open 24 hours?

@blairmohr how many calories are your protein shakes each?

They're 140 calories (kind of a lot I think) but it has 25g of protein. And combined with my other food and exercise I'm still able to stay under my daily goal. I also go to planet fitness and mines open 24 hrs, but you might check with the gym by you.
    blairmohr wrote: »
    @tlee278 is planet fitness open 24 hours?

@blairmohr how many calories are your protein shakes each?[/

Our Planet Fitness is open 24 hrs as well.
  • MarissaCVT
    MarissaCVT Posts: 11 Member
    My current workout: 10- 15 minutea of strength training, then 45 minutes of cardio on my stationary bike.
    I also try to walk my dog about a mile if it's not too hot.
    I never exercised before, but for the last 3 weeks I have been exercising 5 days out of the week for an hr or more. I realized working out at home works better for me than a gym, so I set up a little "fitness room." I have a stationary bike, just got my elliptical today, weights, a step, I do yoga in there, and I'm looking to get a treadmill soon and then I'll be set. I have reptiles, and most of them are in this room, so it's become a comfortable, enjoyable space since I watch them while I'm working out.
  • Zulu87
    Zulu87 Posts: 119 Member
    I have been going for some walks but really haven't been doing too much since I've moved. Struggling recently with depression so i know that I feel better mentally when I'm physical so I will focus on moving daily even if it's just a short walk. I want to build up to strength based workouts and try a drop in dance class once I'm working full time!!!! Starting with the daily moving!
  • megd44
    megd44 Posts: 110 Member
    Three times a week I do a DVD set called Fe Fit. Has some decent strength, toning, etc and a perfect place for me to get going after years of doing nothing. Also dealing with the heat in southern Nevada (cool down today to just over 100) so rather than biking I am in the pool six to seven days a week. Sometimes I do focused laps or water aerobics, sometimes teaching my neighbor's little guy to swim. Definitely getting the heart rate moving without pressure on my knees and I am able to keep (relatively) cool. I have a really fun temp job right now and am running around a mill site all day long. It is nothing like I have ever done before and keeps me super active during the work day. Getting about 15,000 steps at work daily.
  • Maggieba
    Maggieba Posts: 47 Member
    I started week 5 of Strong Curves. I really enjoy lifting and like the variety and glute focus of the program. I just wish I would have taken measurements and pics when I started for comparison.
  • ssbbg
    ssbbg Posts: 153 Member
    Maggieba wrote: »
    I started week 5 of Strong Curves. I really enjoy lifting and like the variety and glute focus of the program. I just wish I would have taken measurements and pics when I started for comparison.

@Maggieba Ha! Ha! I'm on week 3, and have been complaining about the variety in the weigh-in thread.

Do you find that you are consistently using your glutes? I'm still finding it very difficult and I am mostly feeling things in my quads and my hamstrings still. I've been doing the activator exercises in the morning daily, but the clamshell is the only one I consistently feel in the glutes.
  • Maggieba
    Maggieba Posts: 47 Member
    ssbbg wrote: »

@Maggieba Ha! Ha! I'm on week 3, and have been complaining about the variety in the weigh-in thread.

Do you find that you are consistently using your glutes? I'm still finding it very difficult and I am mostly feeling things in my quads and my hamstrings still. I've been doing the activator exercises in the morning daily, but the clamshell is the only one I consistently feel in the glutes.

@ssbbg
    There are a lot of exercises! But I did Strong Lifts for 5 months and was over the monotony of the same 5 exercises. Although I hate to admit... I don't do the SC program warm up or the activation exercises! I do my own warm-up. For glute activation, for me at least there's a "sweet spot"; either not enough weight on the bar or too much and I feel it in my quads and hamstrings. But when I get it just right, that booty burns!

I've also been looking up his instruction videos on YouTube. The back extension one was really helpful bc I realized I've been doing it so wrong in the past!
  • jmb6739
    jmb6739 Posts: 225 Member

jm, I'd love to have more motivation to do push-ups this summer! We could increase our numbers together! Maybe there's a way for us to report them in a thread or create a couple of groups among ourselves for a competition. Or some other method that has worked for the group in the past. I'm up for anything.[/quote]

I would love this! I could use some extra motivation and support on push ups.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    jmb6739 wrote: »
    jm, I'd love to have more motivation to do push-ups this summer! We could increase our numbers together! Maybe there's a way for us to report them in a thread or create a couple of groups among ourselves for a competition. Or some other method that has worked for the group in the past. I'm up for anything.

I would love this! I could use some extra motivation and support on push ups. [/quote]

Jen, I started a push-up thread. We can definitely add in this challenge for those who are interested. Please visit the discussion and let us know your pleasure. Thanks! ~Jessica
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    ssbbg wrote: »
    Maggieba wrote: »

It can take time to really feel things in the glutes. Sometimes it helps to do glute activation with mini bands especially before you start your workouts, also lowering the weight (especially on hip thrusts and bridges), I find if I go too heavy my quads and hammies take over to carry the weight. Just keep focusing on different movements to get those glutes firing, even when you are cooking in the kitchen lol. Over time it is really amazing how strong they get and how easily they can get activated.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Its swim week!
    Monday-Thursday I will be swimming laps for 30-45 minutes each day. I will also be keeping my "hump day" workout on Wednesday and doing some walking and weights.
    Friday I will either re-do the hump day workout (slightly tweaked) or do the Biggest Loser Bootcamp DVD again.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    I went ahead and did the exact same workout as last Wednesday. I was too lazy to make modifications. On Monday I didn't run...I woke up late...so I did workouts 1 & 2 of the Kickbox Fastfix. I realized the workouts are doable yet awkward because I need to watch the tutorial and I need to "practice" the moves. I'll do both at some point this week. Once I do that the flow will probably be better.
  • BethanyLynne1983
    BethanyLynne1983 Posts: 3 Member
    Keeping things somewhat mixed up helps me stay on track, though I do get in funks where I fall off the exercise wagon and totally get run over. I like to run (though I don't consider myself a serious "runner"), bike, strength train and do some interval work. Sometimes when biking with friend, we will take turns riding in front and the rider in the back "sprints" to pass the one in front. We keep doing this for a set time or number of passes. It's a great way to incorporate a form of HIIT while biking. I'm at home with 3 kids and have set up sort of a simple gym in our basement with free weights, a TRX and a weight bench and use those for strength and interval stuff. The kids get in on it too :) I have found that I'm most consistent when I do what I enjoy. It sounds kind of silly, but I love being outdoors for exercise and am more consistent when I plan for something outside...sometimes it's just short interval running in the driveway or doing stair work out in barn (while the kids are doing chores). I benefit so much when I keep up with core and hip/glut strengthening and flexibility too. Drinking plenty of water makes such a difference for me as well. When I don't keep up on those 2 things, exercise becomes harder and more painful, making it easier for me to want to quit or not even start.
  • b7gilbert
    b7gilbert Posts: 10 Member
    I play tennis 3x a week. Strength train 2x and elliptical 2x.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    b7gilbert wrote: »
    I play tennis 3x a week. Strength train 2x and elliptical 2x.

Man! I wish I had a tennis partner....nobody I know wants to play :(
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Midweek check-in....

Hello ladies! I tweaked my Hump Day WO today:

~5 minute - 5.5 mph - Treadmill Run~

10 - 20lb Dumbbell swings - American style
    8 - Right leg split squat - 25lb dumbbells
    8 - Left leg split squat - 25lb dumbbells
    (X3)

3 - 30 sec Wall sits
    10 - Calf raises - 20lb dumbbell - ea leg
    10 - Boxed jump step downs

10 - Weighted hip thrusts - 20lbs
    8 - Deadlifts - 25lb dumbbells
    8 - Walking alternating lunges- 15lb dumbbells
    (X 3)

IT WAS AWESOME :+1:
  • cherellebundziak
    cherellebundziak Posts: 28 Member
    After taking the last couple weeks off due to me being sick, I got back to it yesterday.
    My usual routine is running 2 to 3 times a week. Tuesday Thursday are my strength training days I do in a class. With summer fast approaching I'll add in swimming.
    I would like to add in yoga as our local yoga studio is offering free yoga in the park all summer Monday Wednesday.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    After taking the last couple weeks off due to me being sick, I got back to it yesterday.
    My usual routine is running 2 to 3 times a week. Tuesday Thursday are my strength training days I do in a class. With summer fast approaching I'll add in swimming.
    I would like to add in yoga as our local yoga studio is offering free yoga in the park all summer Monday Wednesday.

Free yoga! I'll take it. Glad you are feeling better :#