Need help getting started

Options
GlindaGoodwitch
GlindaGoodwitch Posts: 157 Member
I have been reading about ketosis for months now, researching, and planning - I need help getting started though, as I don't want to screw it up and gain instead of lose.

I am my heaviest right now 180lbs, and would like to lose at least 40 lbs by february 2018. Seems realistic, but I'm struggling to get to even 179 right now.

Any suggestions for meal plans? I need something to follow and not deviate from.

Replies

• ThatLadyFromMN
    ThatLadyFromMN Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I've just started as well, I recommend friending some Keto peeps and checking out their diaries for ideas. :)
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    When starting out, be sure to have "go to in a hurry" foods on hand such as canned chicken, canned fish, canned olives, hard-boiled eggs, etc. It's easy to…ahem….fudge when one is hungry and heading out the door. Also, a jar of pickles in the fridge is helpful if you end up with a few leg cramps.

One time in my first weeks of keto I let my sodium get too low, ugh. Ever since then I keep a couple of jars of Ortez anchovies on hand. Almost no calories and loaded with salt. If I'm needing a sodium increase but not at the expense of a bunch of added calories I'll have these. I tried several brands and these were the easiest to eat for me. Some sour cream or mustard on them and they go down nicely.
    https://smile.amazon.com/Ortiz-Anchovies-Anchoas-3-5-Ounce-Jars/dp/B001G0MC40/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1497042285&sr=8-2&keywords=ortiz+anchovies
  • 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I found that starting with basic food the first week made it easier than following a plan with a bunch of recipes.
    Breakfast- eggs bacon sausage ( one of those or a mix)
    Lunch and dinner was a meat and a vegetable

Once I got through the sugar withdrawals, i started to add fancier foods when I had time.

Keto calculators online are a necessity for me to figure out what I should eat.
  • GlindaGoodwitch
    Options
    Thank you everyone!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You've found the right place. LOTS of super smart folks here who really get low carb diets. (I'm not really one of them, but that doesn't matter!)
  • gcminton
    gcminton Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    When I got started with trying a keto diet instead of a more general low carb diet, I found this in my search for information: https://www.ruled.me/ketogenic-diet-food-list/

It's a pretty lengthy page, but I found it was a good start for me getting my head wrapped around a plan and figure out what kind of food choices I wanted to make. That site also has recipes, general guides, etc.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Westman, Phinney & Volek's New Atkins for a New You is a great, practical intro to keto (with sample meal plans) by genuine experts.
  • GlindaGoodwitch
    Options
    gcminton wrote: »
    When I got started with trying a keto diet instead of a more general low carb diet, I found this in my search for information: https://www.ruled.me/ketogenic-diet-food-list/

It's a pretty lengthy page, but I found it was a good start for me getting my head wrapped around a plan and figure out what kind of food choices I wanted to make. That site also has recipes, general guides, etc.

This list just made my day - can this be true?! I can eat Brie cheese?! ❤️
  • Alaplum
    Alaplum Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, I've only been doing Keto for a couple of months. So far, I'm keeping it very simple, I once made mug bread to have a hamburger but other than that I've just eaten meat, veggies and cream in my coffee. I did try bullet proof coffee but it didn't seem to offer the satiety others have suggested. So, rather than use up my calories on extra butter and coconut fat, I'm having my one coffee with cream. So far, this has really worked for me.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    gcminton wrote: »

This list just made my day - can this be true?! I can eat Brie cheese?! ❤️

You MUST eat brie (provided its triple cream). ;)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I found that starting with basic food the first week made it easier than following a plan with a bunch of recipes.
    Breakfast- eggs bacon sausage ( one of those or a mix)
    Lunch and dinner was a meat and a vegetable

Pretty much this, although when I decided to cut to keto levels I was reasonably experienced with lower carb eating. But for me it's much more difficult to try to follow an eating plan and just starting with a planned breakfast and template for the other meals was easy. Then as you know what you are doing, get fancier and explore keto-izing things you might miss, maybe.

My template is quite similar to food lover16's -- I do eggs + vegetables (usually in an omelet with feta cheese) with smoked fish or bacon or plain greek yogurt or cottage cheese for breakfast. Then for lunch and dinner I do some kind of protein (usually meat) and vegetables (often avocado).

And then, as I often have extra calories, cheese is a great dessert.

I tend to come in a bit higher in carbs than some aim for, so you'd get started and then adjust, perhaps.
  • PaulaJSchiller
    PaulaJSchiller Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    When I first began my LCHF journey, it took me a good 8 days to get through the withdrawal from sugar and grains. I was pretty miserable. I stuck to eating pretty basic foods meats, LC veggies, eggs, cheese, nuts and HWC for my coffee. I drank a lot of water. In that first week, when I had hunger pains I would first drink down a glass of water, if it still persisted I would have a few almonds or hard boiled egg. A lot of that initial feeling of hunger is more from habit of previously eating every few hours, so I made sure I had good compliant snacks on hand. Once I got past the withdraw period, my cravings and desire for food lessened and I knew I was on my way.

Stick with it, it works. You will wake up one day and realize you slept like a rock, your knees don't ache and you haven't had to pop an antacid or an Advil in days!
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    A lot of that initial feeling of hunger is more from habit of previously eating every few hours

This is so true. That goes hand in hand with being used to eat a given volume of food to feel full. Changing to LCHF, I had to learn to eat much slower so my brain would get the message that I was full with much less volume. Fat and protein are more satiating than carbs. This has to do both with the different hormones released and with the amount of time needed for them to pass through the stomach.

It is common in parts of Japan to teach the kids to only eat until they are 80% full. I think this is great advice, especially with this WOE because I find if I can do this, I realize about 20-30 minutes after I stop that I am actually 100% full.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I'm new too. two months in. Here is what I know from my experience.

Eight weeks in now.. have just started losing really well the past week and my appetite is so suppressed , I truly can't believe it. It took me eating on induction for this long for it to take firm hold. So, please stick with it..don't expect huge losses at first I lost four pounds to start and then gained a half pound the third week. But, I decided to stick with it..so glad i did.

I'm doing Atkins old school..not the new Atkins 20. Some LC plans you have to count calories because it isn't as strict on the low carbs like Atkins. From my view..once you're firmly in ketosis you eat less without thought. AT first.. I ate tons of egg salad..deviled eggs.. was really eating a lot of food ..but it did get me into ketosis which now has me eating way less.

I truly can't believe how the fat is coming off my body.. i've been counting calories..exercising and even did intermittent fasting with the same 7 pound loss regain hamster wheel scenario for YEARS. Now I feel encouraged that I can find a new final path to fitness.

Good luck to you (also low salt is the reason for the "kept or atkins flu" you need more salt on this diet which is weird..but it will take away those symptoms. i eat a dill pickle spear when I start feeling it coming on).
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Someone provided a link to the "Go Keto with Casey" site just the other day. I've not looked at the site in its entirety but it includes the pdf in the link below. The pdf is from Dr. Eric Westman's approach to ketogenic eating and if you follow Dr. Westman you'll frequently hear "If it's not on page 4, don't eat it". It is not a "meal plan" but it certainly is a simple approach and I love-simple. This is about the best printable version I have seen so thank you to whoever posted the site originally.

https://caseydurango.com/page-4-food-list/

I woke up chuckling to myself the other morning thinking I will coin my "diet" The Retro Diet. I'm 63 years old and with 3 years of maintenance under my belt and experimentation with various things including keto during the 3 years, I now have settled into eating (mostly) like we did when I was a kid which was way back in the 1950s and 1960s, thus The Retro Diet.

Meat, fish, vegetables, dairy, fats, eggs, some fruits. Way back then, our Christmas stockings were filled with apples, oranges and nuts. Maybe some penny candies. Those things were a treat! In my family, a treat was just that-a treat. It was something special and enjoyed on rare occasion. It was a time where we didn't snack because Mom didn't want us to spoil our dinner. We ate 3 square meals a day and if there was such a thing as fasting, it occurred naturally from after dinner throughout the night until break-fast in the AM.

I digress. Eat real food. For meals, make tasty combinations from page 4.
  • GlindaGoodwitch
    Options
    I totally agree - a treat should be a treat. Unfortunately, since becoming an adult, I have totally abused the definition!
  • tierrafuego
    tierrafuego Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Breakfast: eggs (hard-boiled or fried); bacon; sausage; maybe some spinach or peppers or farmer's cheese thrown in
    Lunch: big salad with Ranch or blue cheese or real vinaigrette (make sure very low carbs) with steak, or salmon or chicken or salami or prosciutto, cheese, maybe cucumbers or a few tomato slices or olives. If eating out, Five Guys burger in a lettuce wrap--loaded but not ketchup or BBQ sauce.
    Dinner: "Grill and greens" is my mainstay. Grilled chicken, skin on, or beef tenderloin, or ribs (low sugar sauce). Broccoli or kale or spinach or coleslaw on the side--whatever very low carb greens you can get in. Also grilled peppers, maybe guacamole or cauliflower rice. Green beans, but not too many. (Obviously not all these veggies at once--choose one or two)

Hints:
    Buy big and grill or cook big (I boil a dozen eggs every week, cooked a 5 lb tenderloin tonight--it's not just me--ha--feeding a family), that way you have leftovers to grab when you need something quick.
    Use more butter, olive oil, coconut oil than you would normally. Use more salt than you would normally (it really helps you not get the 'keto flu'). Drink more water, seriously, a lot more. Take a magnesium supplement if you do start to feel not quite great, or even better, drink pickle juice or warm up some broth.
    Track your macros but also keep in mind that not all are net carbs. (I stay below 30 carbs net but often exceed that in my daily count b/c not tracking net).
    Read this board, it's massively informative.
    Good luck--it feels different, hard to describe but just more solid, less at the whims of food/mood swings, etc.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    You can get the hang of it pretty quickly with eggs and bacon for breakfast and meat with leafy greens for lunch and supper. When I started, I would more frequently eat a snack of an ounce of peanuts mid afternoon. I have some that are 1 net carb per serving.