Unexpected benefits of fasting

Options
hzl22
hzl22 Posts: 157 Member
So I was very surprised to notice my hand ( carpal tunnel or arthritis who knows something going on with it) finally had some relief after fasting (less swollen less cracking less pain almost back to normal although still little swollen). This was unexpected, not the reason I started fasting but very pleasantly surprised and quite frankly amazed because I didn't think it was related to food at all. Could you guys share the unexpected benefits that fasting has done for you ?

Replies

• mikseyniha
    mikseyniha Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    My allergy to eggs is completely gone!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    Allergies are much less.
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Babygyrl17
    Babygyrl17 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My period is much lighter and cramps are gone (sorry guys lol)
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    These come from 1) reduced inflammation as your body begins the rebuild process, and 2) more HGH release in the body and mind -- in the mind to help you go out and "get food", which we manipulate to a better life.
  • mikseyniha
    mikseyniha Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I also noticed that I don't get heartburn or flatulence :tongue: anymore
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I walk in the sun, not as a form of obligatory exercise or a weight loss technique, but just to treat chronic low mood and get some Vitamin D. It's about one mile with one tiny hill and one small hill at the end. I walk about every other day.

Today, after I took the second hill and was a block away from home, I felt a strange but wonderful sensation. It felt like my legs were walking themselves and I was just along enjoying the ride.

It's such a relief to know I don't have to go to a gym or take a class or even exercise at all. We can thank our mentor Joe for that assurance. And the walking is getting easier and turning into a real pleasure.

This was a sweet share! Thanks!
  • blambo61
    Options
    Nice!
  • OMAD2017
    OMAD2017 Posts: 73 Member
    Options

Today, after I took the second hill and was a block away from home, I felt a strange but wonderful sensation. It felt like my legs were walking themselves and I was just along enjoying the ride.

Just curious, were you on a longer fast when this occurred? LOVE those moments!
  • minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    No. I don't plan on doing any other fasting other than OMAD. Unless I'm sick with a flu or a bug and I can't eat or have no appetite. I really like eating every day :smile:

This really made me think. I've been losing really slowly, but not feeling deprived. But then I see other people losing faster than me by doing longer fasts. And I think I should do a long fast because it will help me lose faster...

But I too, really like eating every day. I think I'll maybe let go of the longer fast idea for a while and just keep going with the one meal a day.

I worry that by trying to "keep up" with others, I'm setting myself up for failure. It's not a race! :|

So thanks for that comment - it has really helped me sort some stuff out in my head!!
  • tlblanksfit
    tlblanksfit Posts: 1,573 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Newmeadow and Minigrrll, your posts are spot on. I originally did OMAD to follow the process to lose weight and be healthier. I got distracted by not making the progress I thought I should and seeing other losing at faster speeds and added extended fasts. I am now thinking that after just around 33 days I did not give the OMAD process a chance to really work. With that being said, I am going to drop the extended fasts and just do OMAD. I will get to where I want to be in time and there is no need to rush. Staying true to the OMAD is where my focus needs to be. Thank you for the great insight.

- Tracey
  • x3nomorph
    x3nomorph Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    minigrrll wrote: »

This really made me think. I've been losing really slowly, but not feeling deprived. But then I see other people losing faster than me by doing longer fasts. And I think I should do a long fast because it will help me lose faster...

But I too, really like eating every day. I think I'll maybe let go of the longer fast idea for a while and just keep going with the one meal a day.

I worry that by trying to "keep up" with others, I'm setting myself up for failure. It's not a race! :|

So thanks for that comment - it has really helped me sort some stuff out in my head!!

wise words, extended water fast is valuable tool for therapeutic purposes but if you just want to lose weight and there's no other disease you need to tackle is best to keep your cycle of intermittent fasting constant

I see it as respect to the body, extender water fasting just because you are impatient and want to see a number on the scale drop is desordered behavior imo

• blambo61
    Options
    I'm ok with extended fasting, especially for very over-weight people but not if it will cause people to quit. There is the danger of that.
  • mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    I'm ok with extended fasting, especially for very over-weight people but not if it will cause people to quit. There is the danger of that.

My thoughts too... Im fine with it in my schedule but every person is different... If it's too much and will cause you to lose sight of the greater goal than its not worth it
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I only fast my 23 hours after OMAD as well. I'm expecting my losses to slow though as I am creeping out of the land of obese and into the land of overweight, lol. 9 pounds to go! I enjoy eating everyday as well and the weight loss has significantly reduced many of my poor health issues, so I don't need to fast for health reasons.

I have to say that I find this attitude refreshing as for a few weeks now I've felt like an OMAD outsider with all the extended fasting suddenly popping up all over he place. Thought I was doing something wrong. I don't have a problem with people doing it, but I started thinking I missed something in the OMAD toolbox, combing through all of Joe's videos and writings helped me realize I wasn't missing out on anything because it isn't advocated. He doesn't say not to, but he didn't do it.
  • minigrrll
    Options
    wsandy8512 wrote: »
    I have to say that I find this attitude refreshing as for a few weeks now I've felt like an OMAD outsider with all the extended fasting suddenly popping up all over he place. Thought I was doing something wrong. I don't have a problem with people doing it, but I started thinking I missed something in the OMAD toolbox, combing through all of Joe's videos and writings helped me realize I wasn't missing out on anything because it isn't advocated. He doesn't say not to, but he didn't do it.

Me too! I was like, I've GOT to do some extended fasts, I'm such a loser and everybody else is doing them and they are losing weight so fast...

I'm going to stop thinking like that and stop worrying so much about how long this is all going to take. I feel like I can totally do this long term and if I only lose 0.5 pounds a week I'll eventually get there. It is a nice relaxing way of eating and losing 0.5 pounds a week is sure better than the alternative of gaining 0.5 pounds a week!!

• wsandy8512
    Options
    minigrrll wrote: »
    Me too! I was like, I've GOT to do some extended fasts, I'm such a loser and everybody else is doing them and they are losing weight so fast...

I'm going to stop thinking like that and stop worrying so much about how long this is all going to take. I feel like I can totally do this long term and if I only lose 0.5 pounds a week I'll eventually get there. It is a nice relaxing way of eating and losing 0.5 pounds a week is sure better than the alternative of gaining 0.5 pounds a week!!

.5 is a great weekly loss. One of my favorite journals to go through is Brenda's @brendagaudette because she had slow and steady weight loss. She charted every single week the whole way. Also, the less someone has to lose, the slower the weight comes off--from what I've seen over the decades anyway. No matter what someone does to lose weight, obese people tend to take off a lot of pounds at first before it slows down. I didn't get fat overnight, so I know I can't expect to get thin overnight either. I don't know about others, but OMAD is the only thing I've done to get healthier and lose weight where I don't feel like I'm on a diet. The health benefits far outweigh the pounds I've rid and it's honestly something I feel I can do for life. :-)
  • minigrrll
    Options
    Agree with everything you just said! And the key is "not feeling like you're on a diet". I can eat like a normal person and not feel guilty... It's not like I'd usually be eating my two other meals of the day with anybody else, so if I didn't tell people, they wouldn't even know I was doing anything out of the ordinary (and I've not told anybody but my partner).
  • blambo61
    Options
    No one is forcing anyone to do anything. Personally I like to hear about experimentation including extended fasts. I haven't done them and don't feel obligated to do so but it is a tool and I may try it sometime. The "standard" OMAD routine is one meal, one plate, one drink I believe. There are those that do less and do extended fasts, there are those that eat more in a longer window (me), there are those that do low carb, and there are those that don't do low carb. Some do different amounts of splurge days than others. Some exercise and some don't.

I think we all center around the standard OMAD and some deviate from it a bit but I see no harm in discussing it myself and I think all these variations and tools might help some with who those things work for them.

I do think OMAD is the sweet spot though that will probably be the program that will work the best for most. I would have a very rough time with the one plate rule, I also would have a very rough time with extended fasts, I would have a very rough time going low carb, and I would have a rough time without a weekly splurge day and without exercising. We are all in different places and have different backgrounds.

I try to take a little bit from everything and make what works for me. Discussing and sharing experiments I think can help people tailor stuff that will be optimal for the individual at that individuals current state and circumstances.
  • wsandy8512
    Options
    Bob, its true no one is forcing anyone to do anything. However, for people new to OMAD, seeing so many extended fasters, I think, has led to people thinking it's part of what Joe started here, and it isn't. If someone feels like it's part of OMAD and they can't do it or try and aren't happy and feel miserable, they may end up thinking this is just another fad diet and throw in the towel. Heck, I've been on OMAD since April and have seen it so much it had me questioning whether I missed something or not.

People can tailor OMAD however they want and if people want to do extended fasting regularly, that's great.