Do you use keto strips

Options
Do you use keto strips? What do u do once you find out if your in keto lol. Do u relax or work harder or. Is there any real benifit

Replies

• 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I do. I find it reassuring. I have read that they stop working after 'a while' but I don't know why or how long 'a while' is. I have read the 'alternative to Keto strips' discussion in hopes of finding the answers but that has stayed true to it's title.
    It is also my understanding that it means you are burning fat, but the fat could be the fat on your body or the fat you ate in your last meal (someone confirm this too?)
    I also understand that how hydrated you are affects the shade of results.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    http://ketopia.com/why-you-need-to-stop-worrying-about-the-color-of-your-ketostix/

I use them very rarely out of curiosity if I've eaten something higher carb than my normal. Once you are fully fat adapted your body is more efficient at using ketones so you lose less in your urine. So you could test negative but be in ketosis. I find the more dehydrated you are the darker your reading because the ketones are more concentrated.
  • Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I use them. No particular health or medical reason, I just like to see that positive sign. I've been low carb since last August and they still work for me.

They do stop for some people though. My sister gets zero reaction on them and she's much stricter than I am about her carb counts. There is some science behind why the ketostix can show negative even if you are still in ketosis.

I recently got a breath meter as well, and there's no correlation at all between that and the pee stix. Acetoacetate in the urine and acetone in the breath are both 'ketones' but their levels are completely independant of each other.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I've not used them. Perhaps blood keto testing would have been reassuring when I was eating medically therapeutic ketogenic (1 year).

What do you do with it? Good question. Dunno. Why are you using them?
  • hoping32
    hoping32 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Yes, I use the strips. I try to increase the amount of ketones!
  • EggToni
    EggToni Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I do not, but I am curious. I have been steadily losing weight (26 lbs. since February) by watching macros including calories.
  • CatMarlett
    CatMarlett Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I find that the ketone strips are darker in the morning. As I hydrate throughout the day, the stick shows a lighter color. This is inline with what Anglyn1 said. I just use the strips to gage if I am going in the right direction or not. I rarely got any indication when I was following SAD (standard american diet). Now that I have been lower carb (lower than 50), the color has changed drastically.
  • kalika47
    kalika47 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    my understanding is that the strips measure the amount of ketones that are being eliminated! so....trace shows you are in ketosis.....meaning that most of the ketones are still in your body doing their work?.....darker color does not mean "more ketosis"?
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    I used them to start with, for the first three weeks and now i use them occasionally just check but I think I'm confident that when I stick to the lower carbs (15 net and below) I'll be fine. This may be an assumption..........
  • Vladaar
    Vladaar Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I have not. Just follow my macros and get results. Those strips could be money I could use on buying ingredients for fat bombs. I guess if I didn't get results I would buy to try to figure out what was wrong.
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    When I first started keto I used them. I think I bought one bottle. It helped me to see the results and correlate it to how I was feeling physically. Once I got the hang of things and a good glimpse of how I was feeling when in ketosis I stopped using them and just checked intermittently until the bottle was gone.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I'm another who only used them at first. It was fun to see and interesting to see what foods affected it and what time of the day was highest.

I haven't used them in about 2 years, mainly because I rarely go above trace ketones and am often negative. It's not as much fun when there is nothing to see. LOL ;)
  • erika_307
    erika_307 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I used them in the beginning. I found them to be very motivating.