My go-to Guru has launched a brilliant book...

Options
AlexandraCarlyle
AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
Dr Michael Mosley has published a new book, titled "The Clever Guts Diet."

This man is fast becoming a hugely respected authority and revolutionary activist on behalf of our precious human bodies.
He experiments on himself extensively, before, with much additional research and support from fellow scientists and medics, he reveals his findings.
(He even swallowed bovine tapeworm eggs to see the effects of housing the parasite, for himself!)

The blurb on the back, reads as follows:

"Your gut is astonishingly clever. It contains millions of neurons [a second variant of the brain in our heads] - as many as would fill the brain of a cat - and is home to the Microbiome, an army of microbes that influences your mood, weight and immune system.
In this groundbreaking book, Dr Mosley takes us on a revelatory journey through the gut, showing how junk food, and overuse of antibiotics have wiped out many "good" gut bacteria, leading to a modern plague of allergies, food intolerances and obesity.

Setting the record straight on everything from prebiotics to probiotics, fermented foods to fasting, Dr Mosley provides scientifically proven ways to control your appetite and boost your mood.

The Clever Guts Diet is packed with delicious, healing recipes, menu plans, checklists and tips - all the tools you need to transform your gut and change the way you eat for ever."

And just to reassure anyone, he heartily endorses high protein, high fat, low carb, and fasting (remember, he was the pioneer of the 5:2 Plan in the UK).

This guy is is prominently-respected by me, as Dr Jason Fung is by many of you.

His book makes for very interesting reading.
I'm a good third of the way through it, and I only received it yesterday.
Give it a go.

Replies

• Just_Eric
    Just_Eric Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    The next time I cash in all of my loose change on an Amazon gift card I'll probably pick it up. This subject, that I'm not one organism, but rather something in the neighborhood of 100 trillion organisms, kinda fascinates me.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    The book is neither heavy-going, nor humourless. It's a fun read and (pardon the pun) easy to digest....
  • CrispyStars3
    CrispyStars3 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Sounds very interesting...
    I can pre-order on Amazon. The release date is: September 26, 2017
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    If you're in the USA, I guess so... I have my copy already as I'm in the UK.... Makes a change - !

I'm half way through it. I can't put it down.... Except to type, of course!
  • ohmygod45
    ohmygod45 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Lost 6lb in first week of diet. Love the green healthy gut smoothie and am having raw cider vinegar before meals. So far so good !
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Don't forget your local libraries people! That includes e-versions of books to borrow. Don't have to save up pennies... <3
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Don't forget your local libraries people! That includes e-versions of books to borrow. Don't have to save up pennies... <3

Our e-library here sucks. Has few books and too few copies available when they actually have the title. It's actually easier to request the paper copy. :/ I'm hoping they'll improve soon.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I just order from Amazon the "In Stock" paperback for $10.22 that claims it will be here Monday. (USA) It does sound interesting yet cheap.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I ordered this in paperback yesterday. (The Kindle version apparently won't be ready until September but hardback and paperback are ready now.)

It had only one review on amazon and that was "meh." I saw what looked like a similar book with glowing reviews and ordered that on my Kindle. It only took a brief scan to tell me it wasn't for me: "Low fat. No meat. Eat disgusting stuff like kimchi, fermented pickles and home made sauerkraut ...." Bleh. Thankfully, you can return a Kindle book for credit if you're prompt enough so it was gone in ten minutes. I'll wait for Dr. Mosley to roll round in a week.
  • CrispyStars3
    CrispyStars3 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I just order from Amazon the "In Stock" paperback for $10.22 that claims it will be here Monday. (USA) It does sound interesting yet cheap.

I did not see the "In Stock" paperback in May!? Switching to the paperback today. Glad I saw this post :smile:
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    Thank you - 7 copies on order at my library and I'm #6 on hold. Is this the fasting diet guy who did the experiment on TV?
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    carlsoda wrote: »
    Thank you - 7 copies on order at my library and I'm #6 on hold. Is this the fasting diet guy who did the experiment on TV?

Yes. he experiments on himself a lot. swallowing cameras, eating a bovine tapeworm capsule, making black pudding out of his own blood....! I just hope he doesn't investigate "Effects on the body post-amputation"....
    That would be taking things a little too far, is my guess.....! :D
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    My wife found my copy looking through the boxes I told her that were trash. I guess it was in the bottom of a box that other things shipped in as well.

100 pages in I have to say this book is going to be a game changer for those that will read it. I think I shifted the population of my gut bacterial types that stopped my cravings when I changed my WOE and got through the die-off stage. The research out of Israel boggles my mind.

Thanks for sharing this .
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    My wife found my copy looking through the boxes I told her that were trash. I guess it was in the bottom of a box that other things shipped in as well.

100 pages in I have to say this book is going to be a game changer for those that will read it. I think I shifted the population of my gut bacterial types that stopped my cravings when I changed my WOE and got through the die-off stage. The research out of Israel boggles my mind.

Thanks for sharing this .

There's nothing quite like a great review from a reader whose discovery was unexpected. Thanks for the thumbs up.
    For me, it's up there with the rest of the best, although it seems as if I have unconsciously really developed an aversion to any kinds of carbs.
    I read all about 'resistant starch' but am still having a hang-up' about the starch bit. Maybe I'm just too resistant...!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I read all about 'resistant starch' but am still having a hang-up' about the starch bit. Maybe I'm just too resistant...!

I, too, have been resistant (maybe from using too much Olestra topically....), but it did catch my attention in William Davis's Undoctored, that he recommends as sources of prebiotic fiber small doses of some foods I'd normally avoid like the plague:

GREEN BANANAS AND PLANTAINS—And I mean green. Not green-
    yellow, or a little green at one end, but green. It will be tough to peel
    and virtually inedible, so slice it lengthwise, shell out the pulp, chop
    it coarsely, and then use it in one of the prebiotic shake recipes. You
    may have to stay alert for when the grocer puts out green bananas,
    and then either store them in the refrigerator, where they generally
    stay green for 4 to 5 days, or peel, chop, and store them in a
    container in the freezer and use as needed.

POTATOES—All potatoes when cooked are high in sugars and low
    in fiber. But when raw, white potatoes in particular are rich in
    prebiotic fiber—with 10 to 12 grams per one-half medium (3½ inches
    in diameter) potato—and contain zero sugar. (Sweet potatoes and
    yams have far less prebiotic fibers. This means that you chance
    excessive carbohydrate exposure even when they are consumed raw.
    Eat only small quantities, whether raw or cooked.) Some people
    actually enjoy eating raw white potatoes like an apple, while others
    prefer to include them in prebiotic shakes.

INULIN AND FRUCTOOLIGOSACCHARIDE (FOS) FIBERS—From
    chicory root, Jerusalem artichoke, and other sources, these fibers
    can be purchased from health food stores as a purified powder.
    (Inulin has a longer fiber chain, FOS shorter, but they exert similar or
    overlapping benefits.) Inulin and FOS are easily added to foods such
    as the “granola” recipe from Chapter 10 or to prebiotic shakes.

LEGUMES—Kidney beans, black beans, white beans, chickpeas,
    other starchy beans, and lentils can be rich sources of the galac-
    tooligosaccharide, or GOS, form of prebiotic fibers. Hummus
    (pureed chickpeas) is another convenient source. However, legumes
    contain the carbohydrate amylopectin C, and while not as digestible
    as the amylopectin A of grains, it still has the potential to mess with
    blood sugars. We sidestep this issue while still obtaining a modest 3
    to 4 grams of prebiotic fibers by limiting ourselves to small
    servings—¼ to ½ cup cooked with no more than 15 grams net
    carbohydrates.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    The 'big' surprise to Dr Mosely, was the high levels of Resistant Starch in rice and pasta that had been cooked, drained, cooled down, then re-heated.
    I don't know the science of it, but the starch underwent a weird voodoo transformation and 'abracadabra - suddenly, yum!

Which should - by rights - absolutely thrill me to the core, right?
    I mean, after all, I'm a half-blooded, full-bodied Gennew-wine Italian ragazza, right?
    What Italian ragazza doesn't love her pasta...?!

(Hint: me.)

I should be really happy but it seems as if my brain - or mind - either one's presence is questionable - says no to carbs. In whatever form they're openly evident.
    I have read the data.
    I have watched the videos.
    I have reviewed the articles.
    I have followed the links.

I have thereby hitherto come to my own conclusion that carbs are totally unnecessary.
    They're not needed in anyone's 'diet'.
    I certainly don't need them in mine.

I absolutely LOVE Mosely's book.
    I 'devoured' every page.
    But the recipes?
    Can't get my head round those.
    And they read 'lush'.
    But the moment my eyes see the carbs, I move on.

Guys.
    Am I wrong?
    Am I going to have to try to re-programme my mind - or just keep doing what I'm doing?
    'Cos so far so good....
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    @AlexandraCarlyle, I'm with you.

I can help but view the resistant starch business with skepticism, at least until I actually screw up the b*lls to try them on an empty stomach and test my blood sugar, but I don't really want to..... :fearful:

My whiz LC diabetes doc said she's waiting 5 years before she'll give it serious reconsideration, and that was pretty much good enough for me.

PS You mean Genoan?
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    No, infatti sono più Milanese....
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I am a green banana fan....
    "Say YES! to crunchy bananas :) "
    (probably a slimy, mooshy ripe, 'leopard spotted' banana texture issue, lol)

Jerusalem artichokes (also called sunchokes) are crunchy and juicy like water chestnuts. Yummy, but a little hard to find around here. Not many people grow them or eat them, or even know what they are.
  • drosebud
    drosebud Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I have only bought jerusalem artichokes the once. I didn't like the taste at all but the effects on my body were horrendous. I found out afterwards that their nickname is Fartichokes, and for good reason (for me, anyway).