Water retention: For some of us, it's a pain in the....

Options
AlexandraCarlyle
AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
edited June 2017 in Social Groups
I woke up this morning, and found myself 4.5lbs heavier.
Now, while this was a momentary shock to me, I decided to not let the numbers on the scales faze me, because I immediately knew such an increase could only really be down to water retention.
Then, looking at what I ate yesterday, it pretty much confirmed my suspicion.
A lot of cottage cheese, and some high-salt pickled sausages with onion (Utopenci. They're a Czech speciality).

I dislike taking prescribed medications at the best of times, or even over-the-counter remedies, so I've been doing a little diligent research, and have come up with some home-made remedies that are not beyond anyone's reach.

Mare's tail (apparently just as good, if not better,m than some medical/pharma-diuretics available).
Hawthorn leaves. (Brilliant! My neighbour's shrub overhangs my garden! On it!)
Dandelion leaves (who hasn't got these..?!)
Nettles (yup. But better when they're younger, not the old, really stubborn nasty leaves....)
Plantain leaves (I'm not talking about this, I mean, this. My garden is full of it. There's also a lanceolate variety with much narrower leaves, which is just as good.)
Ginger (I eat it regularly)
Parsley. (ditto....)

I've been drinking copious amounts of plantain-leaf tea. It's nearly half-past six in the evening.
I'm 3lbs lighter.

As backup.... :)

All these plants/herbs are within easy reach. I pick copious amounts and dry them, and brew them as necessary.
My husband is convinced I'm a witch.

He may be right, in a way. Once-upon-a-few-centuries ago, I might well have been called so....

Hope this helps.

Replies

• dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I woke up today 2lbs heavier and since I was only 3 lbs down from where I was two weeks ago when I lowered my carbs to be 30 grams daily, this took my wins away. I too ate salt yesterday. Back bacon roast, regular bacon and some cheese sauce on my cauli. Sigh.

I am just drinking copious amounts of water. But you are right, all of these are under my feet or available easily. I would be right with you as a witch. I will have to look up mare's tail, the rest I know.

So for tea, you just boil the stuff in water and drink the hot water infusion?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I can go up or down by a few pounds in one day too. I try to ignore it. It isn't fat so it doesn't really matter.

TBH, salt intake doesn't really affect my water weight by much. Food, weather (heat), activity, and autoimmune flare-ups affect it more. I only tend to worry about it if I have some sort of event that I want to be smaller for.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Yes, @nvmomketo, my dietary lapse (for want of a better description) has coincided with a seasonal heatwave. At least, it feels like a heatwave. The temperatures are actually only normal and expected for this time of year, but for the past few years, our weather has been up the Swanee.... So the heat has doubtless played a major part in this....

Awesome list, @GaleHawkins !
  • Adi4Fitness
    Adi4Fitness Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I found success in not reraining water since i started doing this every day.
    1. Begin the day with eating asparagus in your first meal
    2. Drink enough water atleast 8 glasses in a day.
    3. Drink green tea before bed
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Yes, it is hot here. So maybe not salt.

I will add green tea tonight. Thanks
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Yes, @nvmomketo, my dietary lapse (for want of a better description) has coincided with a seasonal heatwave. At least, it feels like a heatwave. The temperatures are actually only normal and expected for this time of year, but for the past few years, our weather has been up the Swanee.... So the heat has doubtless played a major part in this....

Awesome list, @GaleHawkins !

That's one benefit of living near the mountains in Canada, we don't get a lot of heat waves. LOL It got up to 65F today. LOL
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options

I'm drinking Mare's tail tea, interspersed with hawthorn, plantain and dandelion. The flavour differences are intriguing....

I'm still a couple of pounds heavier than I 'should' be, but I'm not sweating it.
    Or rather, I am. But compensating skilfully.

If you see what I mean.... :D

@nvmomketo, steady now.... let's not over-do it!! ;)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Green tea doesn't keep you up?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Thanks for this thread. Something about MY menopausal transition makes me a water retaining fool.
  • Adi4Fitness
    Adi4Fitness Posts: 97 Member
    Options

Green tea doesn't keep you up?

Nope it helps me wake up energised after a tiring work day.
  • EggToni
    EggToni Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    There is a packaged organic green tea with hibiscus I regularly drink. Coincidentally, I haven't seen my lovely kankles return even with the high sodium intake. I tried the dandelion tea, but found it too bitter for my taste. Impressed with brewing concoctions, Alexandra.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    The mare's tail tea is an acquired taste, but it really does the job. I drink it at what I would call 'half strength': I brew a pot, then just pour half a cup and top up with plain boiled water.... But I drink two of those..... ;)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Decaf Green Tea is available.
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Could I have the latin name for the mare's tail that you are using? There seems to be a number of plants that carry that common name.

Thanks
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Decaf Green Tea is available.

Indeed. And that's a good reminder.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Could I have the latin name for the mare's tail that you are using? There seems to be a number of plants that carry that common name.

Thanks

Hi @dasher602014 it's called Equisetum arvense , known as the Field Horsetail.... But I am reliably informed that all horsetail is effective....This is just the best one....

ETA: Found this...

and cutting to the chase:
    E. arvense produced a diuretic effect as assessed with FB measurements. This effect was comparable to that of hydrochlorothiazide (25 mg) and was superior to that of placebo (starch).

E. arvense did not exert significant effects on the urinary excretion of electrolytes and catabolites, and it was deemed safe for oral use. No alterations were observed in the liver, kidney, or hematological function tests, and the reported adverse reactions were mild and infrequent.

Future studies are required to elucidate the mechanism of the diuretic action of E. arvense and the other possible pharmacological actions of this phytomedicine.
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    me too! I see in my fingers. I was planning on drinking CALM (powdered magnesium supplement that address water retention, as well as tight muscles) tonight, because I will be home tomorrow, making the loose bowel effect easily managed.

I have been eating salty potato chips regularly. Michigan is having it's first heat wave and the rain keeps on blowing over out town. On the upside, I have been keeping hydrated with lots of water.
  • dasher602014
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @y part that drops when you are removing it, seems to root?

I am so all over this!

Thanks

http://www.avogel.ca/en/plant-encyclopedia/equisetum-arvense.php

Found this reference too.

http://www.therighttea.com/horsetail-tea.html