Water retention: For some of us, it's a pain in the....

Options
2»

Replies

• AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I'm trying to wrap my head round this bit...
    E. arvense is identified by the first internodule on the plant’s branchlet, which is longer than the sheath on the shoot.

Apparently, it should more correctly read 'internode' not internodule....

By this, I think it means that the space on the stem, between the ascending branches, is longer than the branch itself....Maybe?

I dunno, I got my horsetail online....

ETA, oh hang on.... I just read it again...

So the length on the first internode on the lateral BRANCHLET - is longer than the space between one branchlet and the one above it, on the main stem.... I think I got that right.....
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    edited June 2017
    Options
    This image is a good one...

fa-07a5.jpg

If you look at the spiky shoots radiating outwards, and see where the first 'join' is, it's clearly longer than the portion of the stem from where the branchlet joins the main stem, to the top of the sheath - which it the dark bit that looks like a crown, going round the stem....

Am I making any sense...? :o

(Actually, the picture itself is a good a help as any to identify the darned thing!! :D )
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Didn't know about hibicus. There is a new kombucha flavor, hibicus-ginger.
    Also, thanks for the horsetail photo. Now I know how what that plant is that grows in the back-dune area of Lake Michigan eastern coastline.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Maybe I will buy online or in the store so as not to poison myself. But it is growing in every available space in my unweeded garden.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    Get it identified by a local university with a biology lab. Or throw caution to the four winds and live a little.

Give it a go....

What could possibly go wrong...?! :D
  • Adi4Fitness
    Adi4Fitness Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    *sigh* looks like No amount of anti water retention magic is going to defeat excess sodium quickly....my water retention remedies only seems to work on normal days without excess sodium.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    Get it identified by a local university with a biology lab. Or throw caution to the four winds and live a little.

Give it a go....

What could possibly go wrong...?! :D

Well, I tried brewing the shoots I have growing at the bottom of my garden. I'm not sure it worked, but I did pass a lot, about an hour later.
    A lot.
    And I was a lb lighter that evening, even after eating dinner....
  • melluc2
    melluc2 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    @AlexandraCarlyle Braver than me...lol
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Please remember that there are also other medical reasons for water retention, particularly if it is the hands and legs... An underactive thyroid shows up in water retention that starts out of the blue or goes on for days without much change. The last time I mentioned to my endocrinologist and primary doc that a few days before I'd notice some swelling my legs, you'd have though I'd mention something work panicking over...as they both reacted with quite a significant concern.

I have to be very careful to keep my sodium up high enough or I'll retain water like crazy. I've also found supplementing potassium makes me dump magnesium, which makes me in turn dump even more sodium...which equates to more water retained as my body tries to hold on to what resources it can.

Sodium is critical to a number of bodily processes, so please be very sure to address any underlying issues before using diuretics, as they can have bad effects on potassium levels in the body...which can cause literally deadly side effects.

Also, note that heart issue related edema often takes decades before it develops...with very limited exception... Also, there is only one type of genetic high blood pressure that reacts negatively to sodium - most respond well. In our former "Standard American Diet" or modern food consumption, it's the pairings of excess sodium alongside the dangerous combo of high fat and high carb that elicits the sodium warnings we all hear.

Excess carbohydrate consumption or eating inflammatory (FOR YOU) foods are far more likely to result in fluid retention - as well as intense workouts - water is retain to process carbs out of the body, water is retained to combat inflammation, and water is retained to heal and strengthen muscles that have been worked out...
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    Thanks so much for these caveats, @KnitOrMiss ... Being a bit of a technical doofus, I am not very good at self-analysis, or understanding why certain stuff happens....I am completely uncertain that I have taken in enough sodium during the day (I have stopped looking at my macros, because I'm happy with inatke and at gauging what I'm eating) but I eat a lot of sauerkraut and kimchi, and loving it.... However, I think other foods aren't helping... I have pickled sausages and Utopenci which I'm utterly addicted to.... (They're pickled preserved sausages with onion and chilli - a Czech speciality!) so I'm unsure how to compensate. I'm already drinking around 2.5 litres of water a day, including 750ml of electrolyte fluid... I take one calcium/magnesium tab a day, together with my habitual folic acid (I'm thalassemic) and I add a half teaspoonful of bicarb of soda and cream of tartar (potassium) to the water too...

I'm feeling absolutely fine, although I'm perspiring a lot, but my intake is good.

There are tons of mixed opinions though, on how much water people should be drinking... it's confusing reading....
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I know I'm dehydrated and low on sodium if I start to get a sticky feeling in my mouth... or if my urine output is not light enough... Otherwise I just drink when thirsty.

Since you're taking calcium, I hope you take K2, and if you don't get enough sun, D3 also. D3 helps calcium absorb, K2 helps them both get where they need to go, magnesium/potassium help them get into the bones, and boron and zinc keep them there... It's such a balance.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I'm sorry... doofus time.... what is K2...?
    And D3....?

I take these on a daily basis....
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I drink till my urine is really light in color, then I know I am hydrated. I don't usually struggle to reach this point. I usually also include a cup of broth daily, to ensure my sodium intake is met.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I'm sorry... doofus time.... what is K2...?
    And D3....?

I take these on a daily basis....

D3 is the bioavailable form of D. You have D in your multi. It's a bit low if you've ever been deficient in vitamin D aka the "sunshine vitamin." This has the form K which is generally K1 in the US. K2 is found mainly in grassfed meats and dairy naturally and is the converted part of K1.

Here is an article that explains the differences a little, but it's very light on actual info... http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-24049950

This is my favorite resource on K2 - https://chrismasterjohnphd.com/2016/12/09/the-ultimate-vitamin-k2-resource/

There are a number of brands available over in the UK, Solgar, Life Extension, etc... K2 is actually what helps get the Calcium and D out of your blood and into your bones...
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Here are some great links discussing sodium needs. Perhaps not in every case, but usually in low carb, I'd even say almost always... increasing sodium is necessary due to the reduction of insulin which plays a role in sodium retention. You simply don't retain sodium on low carb like you did before.

https://chriskresser.com/shaking-up-the-salt-myth-the-dangers-of-salt-restriction/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=share&utm_term=salt-restriction-danger&utm_content=&utm_campaign=blog

Some of this sodium info isn't even for a target low carb population and is still suggesting that limiting it isn't good for health.
    Like this one. https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/05/08/health/salt-health-effects.html?referer=http://m.facebook.com/

And this one.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-4546722/Salt-won-t-heart-attack-says-scientist.html#ixzz4iEj2j6tZ

And here's Steven Phinney about the role of sodium on a keto diet.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WNV0GJcrqp4

If you want to watch a much longer video where he talks about sodium among other things keto, this is a great one
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=Qk0U006YZ2w
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    Amazing stuff, form amazing people as ever...Thank you both....
    Got up this morning feeling ever-so-slightly light-headed (nothing dramatic!) and a pit a grain of Himalayan salt on the tongue and let it dissolve slowly. Feeling fine, now!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your millennial post, @AlexandraCarlyle