Anyone taking turmeric? Apple cider vinegar? Other?

Options
rheddmobile
rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
edited June 2017 in Social Groups
Since there have been several studies on the effect of turmeric on blood glucose and insulin resistance and I already owned a big bag of turmeric which I use all the time (I like Indian food), I recently started trying to incorporate it into my diet in a more predictable manner. I've been taking 1/2 tbs with 1/4 tbs black pepper (supposed to help bioavailability) mixed with 1/2 tsp sesame oil (requires oil to absorb) with my food in the morning for about a month now - and it does seem to work really well, my numbers dropped about ten to fifteen points the first week - that was about the time my doctor took me off glimeperide and I really needed to go off it, as I was having trouble with lows!

So then I read that apple cider vinegar with breakfast was supposed to have a steadying effect on glucose spikes. Well, turmeric plus black pepper, oil, and cider vinegar makes salad dressing, so that's what I did this morning. With a serving of 1/2 cup spaghetti, 1/2 cup meat sauce, meatballs, large salad, and greens, totaling 37g net carbs, Starting glucose was 99, at 1 hour 15 min my bg was 109, at 2 hrs, 107, at 3, 97. No other meds except metformin. So that seems to be a success. Usually the exact same meal at the exact same time of day and activity level takes me to about 130. I'm going to keep doing this and report back on further tests.

Has anyone else tried any dietary supplements? Did they work for you?

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    FYI, someone in the Low-Carbers Daily Group on MFP reported good results with berberine, and there was an interesting study showing similarities between berberine and Metformin.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Test number two of my "magic elixir" of turmeric, black pepper, sesame oil, and apple cider vinegar. Went to a Thai restaurant - drank it before we left the house. Had a big bowl of pho including at least 1 cup estimated noodles, which is supposed to be about 45g carbs. Probably more than that, less than 2 cups. Glucose starting, 97, at 1 hr, 121, at 2 1/2 hrs, back down under 100.

Either I am just getting really lucky or there may be something to the studies that show taking vinegar before a meal reduces glucose absorption. The last time I tried eating at this restaurant I left most of my noodles and had a big spike into the 160s anyway.
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    interesting, although I doubt I could stomach drinking your magic elixir!
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Trying it this week: Very mustardy sandwiches to dose me with turmeric. I don't test BG after lunch but my morning sugar this week has been a lot more stable.
  • Hollygoheavily
    Hollygoheavily Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    AcV does help. So do bitter melon, gymnema sylvestre, and nigella sativa aka black seed oil. African mango and berberine also. I've researched all of these in the scientific literature on PubMed, and studies support their efficacy. Fibre eg psyllium husk also helps if taken before a meal.