FAQ - Syncing, logging food & exercise, calorie adjustments, activity levels, accuracy

Replies

• ketocatmom
    ketocatmom Posts: 1 Member
    MFP and FB wont sync. Is anyone else having this problem? Have any suggestions?

I'm having the same problem today.
  • AnxiousWitch
    AnxiousWitch Posts: 5 Member
    MFP and FB wont sync. Is anyone else having this problem? Have any suggestions?

I'm having the same problem today.

Same problem the last two days.
  • janetkennedymerritt
    janetkennedymerritt Posts: 12 Member
    Same problem the last two days. I tried disconnecting myfitnesspal and my fitbit as suggested and it worked yesterday but today still unreliable.
  • JovialRay
    JovialRay Posts: 1 Member
    I have been having the same problem the last two days. I tried disconnecting myfitnesspal and my fitbit as suggested....several times....even uninstalled both and re-installed... and it is not working. Very frustrating.
  • aed0017
    aed0017 Posts: 1 Member
    The Fitbit and MFP problem must be a bug they need to fix. I'm having problems too.
  • CeiraDenise
    CeiraDenise Posts: 17 Member
    I log my food in MFP and it does sync the summary to fitbit. However, it does not sync macros to Fitbit. Is this normal or is it fixable? Thank you!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    I log my food in MFP and it does sync the summary to fitbit. However, it does not sync macros to Fitbit. Is this normal or is it fixable? Thank you!

Nothing to fix, macro % don't come over - because Fitbit doesn't show those. It could do it's own math on what is received, since there is enough info to do that.

Nope - yet another reason you use MFP for all things eating, Fitbit for all things moving.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Would you consider this from FitBit to be a true picture of my daily calorie expenditure? Analyzing the Steps vs Burn. i'm a nerd. what conclusions would you draw?vwlkcoecsm1i.jpg
    6o8a33eu976f.jpg

• heybales
    Seems to match pretty well that more steps is more calorie burn.

Obviously some days where the steps caused more calorie burn - perhaps more distance on those days.

Actually kind of hard to comment on accuracy when only viewing high level stats.
    So hard to know if the avg TDEE of 2728 is accurate or not.

You could have your walking stride length set for being correct for say 30 min of walking the dog fast each day - but then it's incorrect for the other 15hrs of the day inflating calorie burn compared to your normal walking pace.

And since distance and pace is what decides calorie burn for the vast majority of your day - could be a major inaccuracy.

So just can't discern anything useful other than the correct effect of steps go up calorie burn goes up.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Would you recommend a better setup of stride length? obviously depending on your activity, that changes.
  • heybales
    walking stride length should be set to a pace based on average daily walking speed, not the grocery store shuffle, not exercise pace.

Activity trackers dynamically adjust the length on each step based on initial setting - but the more it has to adjust, the more inaccurate it'll be calculating.

So if you start at extreme range of exercise pace, then accuracy way off at grocery store shuffle.
    But midway can adjust both directions decently.
  • CassondraKennedy
    CassondraKennedy Posts: 229 Member
    heybales wrote: »
    walking stride length should be set to a pace based on average daily walking speed, not the grocery store shuffle, not exercise pace.

Activity trackers dynamically adjust the length on each step based on initial setting - but the more it has to adjust, the more inaccurate it'll be calculating.

So if you start at extreme range of exercise pace, then accuracy way off at grocery store shuffle.

Thank you for this! I was wondering if fitbit adjusted the stride length depending on activity. Very good info in this sticky and in the comments!
  • heybales
    heybales wrote: »

Thank you for this! I was wondering if fitbit adjusted the stride length depending on activity. Very good info in this sticky and in the comments!

To be clear it doesn't adjust the visual setting of Stride Length that you would know by looking.
    That visual set figure is used for the calculations for you might call it dynamic stride length when stepping.

The only time that set figure is used other than that - is if you manually create a workout of running or walking - Fitbit figures if you provide a distance, then it must be more accurate than what it came up with.
    So it divides your distance by that stride-length figure, and figures steps it would have taken, and replaces it's steps seen with that calculated amount.
    That amount is then ineligible for the step contests. (since people could easily cheat that way)
  • nancyk18
    nancyk18 Posts: 27 Member
    Hope I can ask this question here. Is it necessary for me to join discussion groups and if so how or where do I join? Thanks in advance and for all of the information here.
  • heybales
    nancyk18 wrote: »
    Hope I can ask this question here. Is it necessary for me to join discussion groups and if so how or where do I join? Thanks in advance and for all of the information here.

You have joined this group (which doesn't have an official "join" as some groups may require you to request, or be invited only) by commenting - I think it'll show up in your list of active groups now. You may still have a join option to cause that to happen.

For topics that are posted - nothing there to do but read and reply if desired - can bookmark ones you only want to keep up on.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    Is there a way to only transfer my food over to fitbit and not my calories from fitbit over to MFP? I find that fitbit grossly overestimates my calories if anything but sitting around is involved.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    yirara wrote: »
    Is there a way to only transfer my food over to fitbit and not my calories from fitbit over to MFP? I find that fitbit grossly overestimates my calories if anything but sitting around is involved.

The only way would be to purchase Premium and disable exercise calories being added to your diary
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    yirara wrote: »

Do you have your fit bit set up correctly?

Your stats and stride length?

It took me a week of walking a 1 mile track to get my stride right, my calorie burns have been spot on for the 2 years since.
  • LifeChoiceGrammy
    LifeChoiceGrammy Posts: 121 Member
    I got an email that said WW will not send info to our Fitbit anymore??!! Anyone else know?!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    I got an email that said WW will not send info to our Fitbit anymore??!! Anyone else know?!

I would probably ask someone on the Fitbit message boards. Most MFP users are not Weight Watchers members.