Fun educational opportunity!

Options
pnece
pnece Posts: 179 Member
Hi everyone!

I'm involved with an amazing organization - the Obesity Action Coalition (OAC). It's the only organization in the country that's dedicated to representing the interest of people with obesity. We have more than 50,000 members. OAC fights weight bias, educates about obesity, and works on access to care for obesity. We also host a patient-oriented convention every year called the Your Weight Matters convention. This year it's in New Orleans Aug 10-13. Here's a link to the convention website: ywmconvention.com. (The registration fee is low so the cost is mainly in travel and hotel.)

You'll experience a whole group of people who "get it." They truly understand what it's like to live with overweight and obesity. Some attendees have had weight loss surgery, others (like me!) haven't, others are family members, and still others are just looking to learn more. It's a special place and group. And the Respect Pledge I've incorporated here is a testament to the unique nature of this event.

I hope you'll check it out and consider coming!

Patty

zdrq6w4wpd4k.png

Replies

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    That really does sound interesting! It can really help at times to find others with similar backgrounds and issues who truly do understand - I know I myself often feel isolated because of my obesity as I'm usually surrounded by folks who are much smaller than me, and that just compounds the shame.

Unfortunately, my vacation hours are already spoken for this summer - I'm moving in August. But I'll keep an eye out next year!
  • pnece
    Options
    @bmeadows380 Please do think about next year. In the meantime, you might want to check out the OAC's website at obesityaction.org. We've got a lot of information there that might make you feel less alone. You're definitely not!! But I completely understand that feeling.
  • classykaren
    classykaren Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am very interested.
  • pnece
    Options
    That's great! Here's a link to the convention website: http://www.ywmconvention.com.

You might also want to check out the Obesity Action Coalition's website: http://www.obesityaction.org.

And if you have any questions, just let me know!!!