maddyowen
maddyowen Posts: 6 Member
Hi,

I'm starting keto on Monday and looking for friends.

I've already had some experience with keto. Lost 6kg last year but regained it all after I went back to my old ways. Lesson learned!

I've never tracked last time but still managed to lose 6kg in 12 weeks.
I'm hopeing by tracking this time it will help with more weightloss and by getting support from others it will help me stick with it this time.

Anyway please send me friend request if your looking for friends.

Replies

• run2lose45
    run2lose45 Posts: 27 Member
    Sent you a friend invite.. I just started 2 days ago and dropped a surprising 3 lbs in water weight. My goal is to drop 40 and get to about 17% body fat.
  • 62apples
    62apples Posts: 132 Member
    If you quickly regained your weight then you were not on the keto long enough to reset your body.

It takes 12 weeks to transform from being a sugar starch burner to being a fat burner.
    Also, you need to learn how to eat for that weight level.
    I lost down to an ideal weight years ago...
    During a very stressful time, I slowly became very overweight.
    But in addition, I also have edema.

Keep your stress down.
    the following song is scientifically proven to reduce stress by 65%
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYnA9wWFHLI

Also, only take whole food supplements.
    Better to take NO supplements than to take synthetic vitamins.
    Synthetic is toxic whereas natural is health building
    This applies to all vitamins.
    Minerals need to be from plants, not rocks.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODdx1b27Wmo

Take you weight goal in steps.
    Where are you on the BMI chart?
    Goal 1: BMI 30 if you are over 30
    Goal 2: BMI 25 If you are between 25 and 30
    Goal 3: BMI 20 if you are between 20 and 25

Look at the chart:
    http://www.womenshealthcenters.com/images/bmitable.gif
    For your height and BMI goal, go to the top to see that weight.
    On MyFitnessPal, determine the calories to maintain that weight.
    Set that for your calorie goal.
    Practice eating that amount.

Low-calorie diets mess up your metabolism and the calorie calculators won't be able to project the calories needed to maintain that weight. Because your body is very efficient and will adjust to your low-calorie diet by lowering your metabolism.

Only fasting and keto will maintain your current metabolism.
    Don't try to change your metabolism at this time.

If you stay on keto and maintenance calories long enough to reset your body, then your body should maintain your weight. You should not regain the weight. But you DO need to stay on your maintenance calories for life.
    When on maintenance:
    Every day is not a cheat day.
    Have one cheat day per month or one cheat meal per week.

• sae12
    sae12 Posts: 37 Member
    I just started 3 days ago and loss 2 lbs. I've been on keto before and loss weight but I slowly gained my weight back.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    62apples wrote: »
    If you quickly regained your weight then you were not on the keto long enough to reset your body.

It takes 12 weeks to transform from being a sugar starch burner to being a fat burner.
    Also, you need to learn how to eat for that weight level.
    I lost down to an ideal weight years ago...
    During a very stressful time, I slowly became very overweight.
    But in addition, I also have edema.

Keep your stress down.
    the following song is scientifically proven to reduce stress by 65%
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYnA9wWFHLI

Also, only take whole food supplements.
    Better to take NO supplements than to take synthetic vitamins.
    Synthetic is toxic whereas natural is health building
    This applies to all vitamins.
    Minerals need to be from plants, not rocks.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODdx1b27Wmo

Take you weight goal in steps.
    Where are you on the BMI chart?
    Goal 1: BMI 30 if you are over 30
    Goal 2: BMI 25 If you are between 25 and 30
    Goal 3: BMI 20 if you are between 20 and 25

Look at the chart:
    http://www.womenshealthcenters.com/images/bmitable.gif
    For your height and BMI goal, go to the top to see that weight.
    On MyFitnessPal, determine the calories to maintain that weight.
    Set that for your calorie goal.
    Practice eating that amount.

Low-calorie diets mess up your metabolism and the calorie calculators won't be able to project the calories needed to maintain that weight. Because your body is very efficient and will adjust to your low-calorie diet by lowering your metabolism.

Only fasting and keto will maintain your current metabolism.
    Don't try to change your metabolism at this time.

If you stay on keto and maintenance calories long enough to reset your body, then your body should maintain your weight. You should not regain the weight. But you DO need to stay on your maintenance calories for life.
    When on maintenance:
    Every day is not a cheat day.
    Have one cheat day per month or one cheat meal per week.

I'm not going to address everything here, but even at maintenance, you should not be expecting to cheat, per se. You should establish a new plan that includes maybe a carb up or calorie up. Planning to "cheat on your diet" ends up meaning that you are cheating on yourself.

Everyone please remember that what works for one person does not always work for everyone. Because something works for someone else doesn't mean that it will or won't work for you, specifically. Be willing to experiment and find your own personal path to success. To do that, you'll need to be ready to research, learn, become very flexible mentally, figure out how to maintain health and fitness above weight loss, handle the emotional hurdles that got you here in the first place, etc. Above all, be kind to yourself and remember that guilt, stress, and exhaustion are things we can't overcome with restriction/over-activity, etc. The mental side is as important, if not more so, than the physical side...
  • 62apples
    Cheat days are only for people maintaining their weight, not for people actively losing.
  • KnitOrMiss
    I meant that the mental notion of a cheat is very detrimental to some...regardless of while losing or maintaining or even gaining. We should build our dietary plans to include off plan meals and such, and make it "just another part of the plan" rather than giving some huge fanfare to the exception. Making it seem completely normal demystifies it. I don't want to think about cheating on anything, being my diet or myself, etc. All cheating has a negative connotation to it. You're doing something bad. Eating a food off plan is no inherently bad... It's not always the best choice, but the simple fact is that even empty calorie junk foods still provide some fuel to the body. We can nearly always make a better choice...but to me that sense of guilt and the associated "guilty pleasure" of a so-called cheat create a very negative space for most people struggling with weight loss.

Personally, I think that the mental side of getting healthier is far harder to figure out than the physical side (health conditions excepting)... Once we get all the mental gears working together, it's a heck of a lot easier to get the physicality and dietary parts in line. Since the majority of us came to keto as a dietary plan thought broken metabolisms, developed health conditions, or eating disorders, I find the mental side of everything to be SO VERY IMPORTANT.

Many people include things like calorie or carb cycling to keep their metabolisms active and shaken up. I do not consider either of these things a "cheat" if they are a regular part (fixed of flexible) of the plan. Personally, if I start thinking of cheats, then my broken brain starts calculating exactly how far I can push the bounds and still stay "compliant" and all of that, beginning a downhill slide back into all the behavior I've fought to leave behind...and so on...

@62apples - you seem to be luck in that most of this doesn't speak to you, but for many people it does. And in order to maintain compliance, especially in the beginning or longer stretches, some folks may desire to have a treat item to endure the physical changes/missing items - some this will create a binge/reward cycle...others may just play harder. Each person is very different, whether s/he can handle an indulgence and get right back on plan, etc. I'm glad that this struggle doesn't seem to be one you have... For many of us, it is definitely adds some additional degrees of difficulties.
  • 62apples
    I am back to modify what I just said.
    The people that do a cyclic keto diet...have carb up cheat days.
    That is the way that program works.
    See body builders, etc.

For me, I am resetting my body...to burn fat...to have a weight reset point.
    Also, it dissolves tumors.
    Fat tumors do not reduce from regular low calorie diets.
    But the ketones in the keto diet will shrink fat tumors.
    There are lots of other health benefits.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    maddyowen wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm starting keto on Monday and looking for friends.

I've already had some experience with keto. Lost 6kg last year but regained it all after I went back to my old ways. Lesson learned!

I've never tracked last time but still managed to lose 6kg in 12 weeks.
    I'm hopeing by tracking this time it will help with more weightloss and by getting support from others it will help me stick with it this time.

Anyway please send me friend request if your looking for friends.

I think you got a lot more than you were looking for here. Lol
    Anyway, you got this! Don't get caught up in over complicated stuff... you know how to do keto from your past experience. Just keep checking in here and call upon us for support as needed and you'll stay focused on the long term.
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Hi and welcome!

I am on Day 5 of keto and I feel like I could scream from the rooftops about how happy I am and how great it is.
    I have 115 lbs to lose, and I feel like I have found an easy and delicious way to do it!

Feel free to add me as a friend if you like.
    Happy keto-ing :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    @River_Goddess - I felt that same way when I first went low carb. I literally went from 300+ grams of junk carbs one day to around 50 grams of carbs the next day... It was glorious for me - my body seemed to revel in it all... It wasn't for another few weeks that I realized my carbs were close to keto levels and I took the plunge there...

Just make sure you keep an eye on signs of nutrient deficiencies and focus on whole foods over convenience foods to get good nutrition. Any ongoing or new issues will tend to rear up around 12 weeks, but watching for these can prevent any major issues. I think my biggest ones I uncovered were things that were in fortified grains that I didn't replace (zinc, boron, some B vitamins) and then A and magnesium! These things can make the difference between meh/good results to GREAT results! Most vitamin testing can be done through your doctor fairly inexpensively... And remember, some things like Potassium can be dangerous in too high or too low quantities, so most folks don't need to supplement...
  • FireTurtle75
    FireTurtle75 Posts: 2,014 Member
    Also doing keto, feel free to add me. I'm down 38 lbs now in just over 5 weeks.
  • Italiana_xx79
    Italiana_xx79 Posts: 593 Member
    I am just starting on week 2
  • Gigi_Sings
    Gigi_Sings Posts: 6 Member
    Hi everyone, I'm new to keto too. Feel free to add me. :-)
  • erowell3192
    erowell3192 Posts: 5 Member
    Started Keto this week I am a CARB ADDICT! It is such a downfall when trying to lose weight. How long did it take you guys to enter Ketosis? How many carbs are you taking in per day?
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    @erowell3192 congratulations on getting started!

I have my carbs set a little higher than most aiming for ketosis at approximately 50 g (total) or 10%. It is a more comfortable and less-stressful number for me and it took me awhile to find my sweet spot. I don't count net because I found it was too easy to "cheat" or mess with things that way lol. My intent is to develop a strong and sustainable habits for lifelong eating, not a weight loss diet.