Consistently Going Over Protein Macro

Options
JessIsOK
JessIsOK Posts: 13 Member
Hi all,

I'm new. New to keto and new to this group. :) Today is day 5 for me, and I'm finding that I am consistently going over on my protein macro. It's not by much, never more than 10 grams of protein per day, but I'm concerned that I'm doing something wrong. I've ready some places that say that extra protein can turn to glucose, but I've also read that it would take a lot of protein for that to happen. What's the real scoop?

Also, if anyone would like to look at my food diary to offer suggestions, the password to see it is Pepper.

Thank you so much for any help you can offer!

Jess

Replies

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    If it's only 10g I wouldn't give it a second thought.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Protein is a range, with a minimum not to be below. Unless you're consistently getting an extra 100 grams or so, and even that is dependent on activity levels, you're probably not getting into trouble territory. @Sunny_Bunny_ actually linked some research that protein at higher levels for those without risk factors can help the body heal and be more successful long term..
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    You should ALWAYS be at or over protein. That's the minimum you need to maintain muscle. Getting more is not a problem. I know you've heard otherwise but they're simply wrong...
    Eat up!
    http://www.ketotic.org/2012/08/if-you-eat-excess-protein-does-it-turn.html?m=1
  • JessIsOK
    JessIsOK Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Awesome, this is what I needed to hear! :smiley: Thank you all so much!
  • majestic_yogi
    majestic_yogi Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    What is your weight? How much protein are you getting? Are you in ketosis? For me personally, I had to keep protein under certain limit or it slowed down my fat loss. My maintainence and fat loss diets are almost similar calorie wise except my maintainence is 15% more protein and less fat. You need to experiment and figure out what works for you.
  • majestic_yogi
    edited June 2017
    Options
    You should ALWAYS be at or over protein. That's the minimum you need to maintain muscle. Getting more is not a problem. I know you've heard otherwise but they're simply wrong...
    Eat up!

That article doesn't address concerns about insulin response from protein. It's pretty myopic view, when you consider insulin has one of the biggest influence in Lipolysis. Blood Glucose levels and insulin levels are not same. If you listen to actual Dr like Dr Eric Westman and Volek. They talk about how some people especially obese and over weight might be sensitive to insulin changes with protein. Would excess protein stop weight loss? Probably not. But for some losing 50 lbs in few months and 20 lbs in a year can make a huge difference. Keto in itself is protein sparing and there are multiple studies which show lbm gain along with excellent fat loss on moderate protein consumption.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Eat up!

That article doesn't address concerns about insulin response from protein. It's pretty myopic view, when you consider insulin has one of the biggest influence in Lipolysis. Blood Glucose levels and insulin levels are not same. If you listen to actual Dr like Dr Eric Westman and Volek. They talk about how some people especially obese and over weight might be sensitive to insulin changes with protein. Would excess protein stop weight loss? Probably not. But for some losing 50 lbs in few months and 20 lbs in a year can make a huge difference. Keto in itself is protein sparing and there are multiple studies which show lbm gain along with excellent fat loss on moderate protein consumption.

For the record, we are still talking about only moderate protein intake here...

Also, insulins usage for protein isn't at all the same as insulin usage for glucose. It's required for amino acid uptake into cells, muscle and even bone. That's not insulin = fat storage. That's insulin = lean tissue maintenance/growth. If someone wants to eat too little protein for the sole purpose of lowering insulin response, they're not avoiding fat gain, their avoiding lean tissue maintenance/growth.
    Eating above the amount your body needs does NOT automatically become glucose. Your body won't make glucose it doesn't need just because you supply more protein.
    There's a great new article by Marty Kendall that really goes into this but I don't have the link handy right now.

But again, I still wasn't talking about anything more than moderate protein intake anyway. 10g even 20g above what's considered the minimum needed is hardly high protein...
  • Italiana_xx79
    Italiana_xx79 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am new too and I was also struggling with going over on my protein. I am used to a higher protein diet so going keto was hard (at least from the little info I found so far that says to keep your protein at about 20% daily. It's good to know it's okay if I go over. :)
  • majestic_yogi
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Eat up!

For the record, we are still talking about only moderate protein intake here...

Also, insulins usage for protein isn't at all the same as insulin usage for glucose. It's required for amino acid uptake into cells, muscle and even bone. That's not insulin = fat storage. That's insulin = lean tissue maintenance/growth. If someone wants to eat too little protein for the sole purpose of lowering insulin response, they're not avoiding fat gain, their avoiding lean tissue maintenance/growth.
    Eating above the amount your body needs does NOT automatically become glucose. Your body won't make glucose it doesn't need just because you supply more protein.
    There's a great new article by Marty Kendall that really goes into this but I don't have the link handy right now.

But again, I still wasn't talking about anything more than moderate protein intake anyway. 10g even 20g above what's considered the minimum needed is hardly high protein...

There is no insulin for fat storage and insulin for lean tissue maintenance and growth. Insulin is Insulin and it does its job. Now if insulin stores fat or shuttles nutrition to muscle cells depends on insulin sensitivity and insulin resistance. First, insulin will try to load up muscles with proteins, glycogen in to muscle but the problem is most over weight an obese people have various degrees on insulin resistance. When you are insulin resistant, the cells don't respond to insulin which is knocking on the door of the cells to shuttle the nutrients. Some times, the cells already are full with nutrients and don't respond because there is no more space left. In that case, insulin does its second job, which is to store fat.

I regularly track my insulin levels (4-6 weeks) some times more if i am experimenting. Here is some of my own data.

Insulin levels : 2-5 uIU/ml, this is when I am in deep keto/fasting state. Best for fat loss, 4-5 lbs fat loss a week is common when i am close to 2.

Insulin levels :9-10uIU/ml : This is where my levels are if I am eating 1 of protein/ 1 lb of lean body mass. I am slightly insulin resistant (around 2.1-2.3). I don't lose weight but I don't gain weight either except for couple of pounds of fluctuations. This is my maintenance diet.

insulin levels :15-16uIU/ml: This is what happens when i eat a standard diet low fat high carb for weeks. I gain weight, my BMR goes down and I become significantly insulin resistant. Even if I switch to keto, i can't lose weight until insulin levels are reset.

If I am losing fat, I personally would be in range of 2-5, not end up at 9 or 10 with higher protein.

Note: the healthy range for insulin is 2-19uIU/ml, Your Doctor probably doesn't care and all give you same advice of eat less and move more.

Some people have genetically good insulin sensitivity, which makes them eat ton of carbs and stay lean.

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Insulin levels are extremely dynamic and can change at any given moment depending on stimulus or lack thereof. Are these numbers averages? How are you testing your insulin levels regularly? I know there are a number of us insulin resistant folks who bemoan the lack of an insulin testing meter beyond an insulin pump setup...

@majestic_yogi - Inquiring minds want to know! @Dragonwolf
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I'd totally leap at some sort of home testing kit or other way to do it that didn't require going to a doctor (and dealing with copays and whatnot). Bonus points for measurements of insulin resistance.

That said, insulin does its job, yet, but "its job" is plural. It has multiple jobs (in fact, it has more than just nutrient storage).

Protein is, as you're probably aware, insulinogenic. However, that response when triggered by protein does act differently than when triggered by glucose consumption. I've got another thread about this topic in another group with a bunch of research and whatnot, I'll have to pull it over (unless @KnitOrMiss beats me to it).

I know from personal experience with hyperinsulinemia and insulin resistance that protein in and of itself (in the absence of carbohydrate intake) very much allows for the overall reduction of insulin, even at levels of protein intake many "hardcore" ketoers may consider "high protein." It's the protein+carb combination that can really skyrocket insulin levels.
  • majestic_yogi
    edited June 2017
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Insulin levels are extremely dynamic and can change at any given moment depending on stimulus or lack thereof. Are these numbers averages? How are you testing your insulin levels regularly? I know there are a number of us insulin resistant folks who bemoan the lack of an insulin testing meter beyond an insulin pump setup...

@majestic_yogi - Inquiring minds want to know! @Dragonwolf

Of course they are dynamic. Insulin tests are pretty cheap if you order from online labs. You go to quest or labcorp and give your blood. I usually buy them in bulk for 20$ when the tests go on sale. It's same as your Dr would order but much cheaper. Insulin tests are not as cheap as BG or ketone strips but ok for testing every few weeks.

Regarding the tests, I have standard protocol for fasting insulin tests especially because I track insulin sensitivity and insulin resistance closely. For fasting insulin test, I usually eat 250g of carbs day before my test irrespective of what diet I am in. I have many tests and data is pretty consistent based on my macros. Averages won't help, these are real fasting levels.i have also done multiple tests before eating protein, and 2-3 hours of protein to see the response. Sometimes no carb load of 250g but just keto, higher and lower protein.

Insulin resistance can be calculated by BG levels and insulin value using HOMA2 calculator. It's not perfect but pretty accurate and especially helpful to look at trend based on your diet.

Bottom line I care about results, my health and always looking onwards to understand my body. Right now, my insulin levels are at 2.2 and I am melting 4-5 lbs of BF in a week. I don't care much about theory, every one got one unless you test it out and understand how your body is reacting it's not helpful.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    @majestic_yogi How are you verifying that it's fat you're losing and not lean tissue? (Or, how much lean tissue are you also losing at the 4-5lb BF/week rate?)
  • majestic_yogi
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    @majestic_yogi How are you verifying that it's fat you're losing and not lean tissue? (Or, how much lean tissue are you also losing at the 4-5lb BF/week rate?)

I have an ultrasound BF scanner from Bodymetrix. I can not only measure BF% but I can also see the fat tissue and muscle layer on the screen. Anyways when your ketone levels are between 6-8, it doesn't matter how much protein you are eating. Deep ketosis is muscle sparing.
  • majestic_yogi
    Options
    And I have data of foods with insulin index. You can download the USDA nutrition database and calculate insulin index. Protein Rich food with out enough fat are much more insulogenic, like chicken breasts.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    You go to quest or labcorp and give your blood. I usually buy them in bulk for 20$ when the tests go on sale. It's same as your Dr would order but much cheaper. Insulin tests are not as cheap as BG or ketone strips but ok for testing every few weeks.

I was not able to find direct-to-consumer ordering info for Quest or Labcorp. Quest's website says it requires a doctor's order for all tests, except in Arizona.

I did manage to find a sale offer from LifeExtension for $29.
    http://www.lifeextension.com/vitamins-supplements/ItemLC004333/Insulin-Fasting-Blood-Test

Any more detailed tips for Quest & Labcorp? Thx.

• majestic_yogi
    edited June 2017
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    You go to quest or labcorp and give your blood. I usually buy them in bulk for 20$ when the tests go on sale. It's same as your Dr would order but much cheaper. Insulin tests are not as cheap as BG or ketone strips but ok for testing every few weeks.

I was not able to find direct-to-consumer ordering info for Quest or Labcorp. Quest's website says it requires a doctor's order for all tests, except in Arizona.

http://www.lifeextension.com/vitamins-supplements/ItemLC004333/Insulin-Fasting-Blood-Test

Look up Directlabs, there are more online vendors. Directlabs uses quest. If you can find anytestlab near you, you can walk in and order any test. I use Directlabs and they have monthly sale for different tests. I use anytestlab for hormone panel, it's cheaper than Directlabs.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

Look up Directlabs, there are more online vendors. Directlabs uses quest. If you can find anytestlab near you, you can walk in and order any test. I use Directlabs and they have monthly sale for different tests. I use anytestlab for hormone panel, it's cheaper than Directlabs.

Great info, thx.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    The action of insulin in regards to protein is entirely different than the action of insulin on glucose.
    It doesn't make sense to limit protein simply because it requires insulin. Insulin does more than store fat.
    Reversing hyperinsulinemia is about reducing ones basal insulin production over the course of a day. This is easy to see happen in a T1D. They still inject for protein, but over the whole day insulin is greatly reduced. For the rest of us, our body provides that insulin, but the basics are the same in regards to increases to cover protein. The goal isn't to limit the amino acids that build and repair the body just because insulin is required for that action. It's to reduce the overall basal insulin.
    xd7dbzfkfx3r.jpg