Disappointed in Myself

Options
frenchmoca
frenchmoca Posts: 3 Member
edited June 2017 in Social Groups
I really need help getting back on track to a healthy lifestyle. A lot of times I feel discouraged. It's sooooooo tough. As a former Zumba instructor it makes me feel worse that I've gone so far off track, and gained so much weight. It's tough because in my mind, I'm the same fitness level and weight that I was when I taught fitness/ educated others. In reality, I'm starting from ground zero, and I feel lost. I'm not exactly sure when food became such an emotional crutch for me. If I had to guess, I'd say it started in 2009 when my father died. I've conquered it before, but have since had a bankruptcy, divorce, trouble with my children, etc.. and of course I turned to food to get me through. I can remember eating an entire pack of cookies in one sitting easily, and often, or literally yelling at my husband to give me my bag of snickers back, and ripping it from his hands. To make up for the binges...I've tried "dieting" the fad way, and I gain the weight back faster every time. It's crazy, frustrating, short lived and leads to an endless cycle of crash diets, emotional eating and weight gain... Which is where I am currently stuck....yet again. I've never tried this whole support group thing. I look forward to participating in this group and having the much desired guide and support.

Replies

• WindSparrow
    WindSparrow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    You've had a rough time of it. Is there any part of you that blames yourself for what you have gone through? Do you ever feel like you and the body you inhabit do not deserve to be cared for and respected?

You love, you care for, you respect the needs of your children, right? Even when you feel frustrated with them, whatever frustrated thoughts come into your head about your kids, you still choose to do your best for them. Do you look at the choices you make for yourself in the same way - no matter how disappointed or frustrated you are with yourself, you can still choose to do things that are good for you. You deserve care and respect.
  • Mom2Maika
    Mom2Maika Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Having been through all that in itself is a testament to how strong you are, because you find yourself here wanting to change. That's the first step. And each tiny change you make in the direction of your goal will lead you to where you want to be.
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I've been an over eater all my life.
    Today - currently 3 years in of mindful eating, weight loss etc. I can say it starts with the next thing in front of me.
    I've just been on a cruise - out of my comfort zone and ate far too much highly refined carbs (sugar/ white flour products).
    Regular habits help me enormously, plain eating works for me - the emphasis is off food as a reward and more as just a fuel for my body.
    I pre emptively lost a few kilos before going on the cruise and guess what - I put them all back on!
    At home I keep everything simple.
    I follow an eating plan that works for me. I've found staying away from empty calories like sugar is the best thing I can do. Most of my carbs come from vegetables and some basic grains. This works for me and my sugar cravings.
    I've always eaten my anxiety and pain etc. Today I still have that desire. With a bit of practice I try and delay gratifying myself that way and see if I can sit with the feelings. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't!
    Mental change takes practice, but it can happen.
    Its important to be kind to myself when I do lose the plot and eat the wrong thing or eat just far too much.I just shrug and start again - the next minute.
    Anyway, its possible to stop eating emotionally.
    Don't give up.