Whole30

Options
smacke0509
smacke0509 Posts: 5 Member
Hi All,

Anyone here done Whole30 before? After a few weeks of over-indulgence I have decided to start it to keep me focused, especially going into summer, interested in tips, tricks, and encouragement!

Replies

• mtcampbell1
    mtcampbell1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of it; had to look it up. Doesn't support a vegan, but very interesting. I LOVED the "It's for your own good" part. https://whole30.com/downloads/official-whole30-program-rules-updated.pdf I hope you do well :smile:
  • idann
    idann Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I did it last year. It was awesome. Lost 20 lbs in a month and have kept it off for a year. I am starting another round today.
  • jnmrie
    jnmrie Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I've gotten partially through the program before but finally decided to just do it. I am on day 10. :) Let me know if you have any questions!
  • KatieTee83
    KatieTee83 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    A girlfriend of mine has been doing it this month and post pics of her meals on Facebook every day, it's got me excited about trying it. Thinking I will wait until the first of the month because I like things tidy like that. :D
  • luv4learning
    luv4learning Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I did it 2 years ago and loved the way it made me feel. I made the mistake of not taking it slow when i added things back. I need to go back and do a second round.
  • pickleadidas
    pickleadidas Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What is it
  • catherinekingston3
    Options
    I completed the Whole30 a year ago and although it was hard, I've never felt better in my adult life as I did then. I slowly fell back into my old ways once the holidays hit. I started a second round yesterday am looking forward to feeling good again. If you haven't read the Whole30 authors book "It Starts With Food" I would highly recommend it.
  • RachelX04
    RachelX04 Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I completed the Whole 30 about two years ago. In the beginning I found it hard as I felt I was always prepping meals, as the month went on it got much easier. After two weeks I felt the best I have ever felt in my adult life and my sleep improved 10 fold. After the 30 days I was nervous to add foods back, but I did add them slowly. Today I find I am back to my old habits and really need to clean up my act in the nutrition department. I am debating doing another whole 30 vs IIFYM approach with 90% whole foods.
  • dadsafrantic
    dadsafrantic Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    it sounds like most people didn't find it sustainable and fell away from it. yes?
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    it sounds like most people didn't find it sustainable and fell away from it. yes?

I understand Whole30 as a short-term challenge with the goal of uncovering food sensitivities and discovering which foods help a person feel his or her healthiest.

My Whole 30 experience changed my cooking style and food preferences. I got used to planning whole food, protein-and-vegetable meals and it's the only way I cook now, 18 months later. I am much more aware of how processed food, added sugars and alcohol affect my system.

The changes have lasted and I really enjoy how I feel when I'm even eating close to Whole30 and adding in any other "worth it" food in moderation.
  • dougfarrar1
    dougfarrar1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    smacke0509 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Anyone here done Whole30 before? After a few weeks of over-indulgence I have decided to start it to keep me focused, especially going into summer, interested in tips, tricks, and encouragement!

My only concern is no grains and no legumes :(
  • dougfarrar1
    dougfarrar1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options

I understand Whole30 as a short-term challenge with the goal of uncovering food sensitivities and discovering which foods help a person feel his or her healthiest.

My Whole 30 experience changed my cooking style and food preferences. I got used to planning whole food, protein-and-vegetable meals and it's the only way I cook now, 18 months later. I am much more aware of how processed food, added sugars and alcohol affect my system.

The changes have lasted and I really enjoy how I feel when I'm even eating close to Whole30 and adding in any other "worth it" food in moderation.

after using the Whole 30 the correct way, have you added garins and legumes back you your diet?
  • _NicLovin_
    _NicLovin_ Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Currently doing another round of Whole30. The first time I did it, I followed it exactly, having read the book. I've also done the first 30 days a few times just to reset my mental and behavioral patterns relating to food. That is what I'm doing now, once again, to "reset" myself back on track. I enjoy the structure, although I do make a few modifications, per my endocrinologist, to keep my bloodwork looking good. One of the slight modifications I have made include adding a small amount of healthy grains every day - usually with breakfast - which help manage my blood sugar throughout the day more effectively.

I've done it enough times to understand how some of the things you eliminate in the beginning impact my body. For instance, I tend to get headaches if I eat legumes too much or too often. I also feel better when I limit the amount of dairy I have (which sucks because I LOOOOOOOVE cheese - but Follow Your Heart makes some wonderful vegan alternatives).