Tell us about you Paleo Experience

Options
Legion229
Legion229 Posts: 33 Member
As you join the group tell us how long you've been doing Paleo, or if your just getting started.

Replies

• kmf91604
    kmf91604 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I'm just getting started. I have gluten, soy and peanut allergies. I was told this is the best "diet" to follow for my situation. I'll let you know how I feel in a week!
  • Amysguthealth
    Amysguthealth Posts: 6 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Hi! I did a Whole30 January this year, and have been paleo since the Whole30 ended. I've had a few indulgences since then but not a lot. I have leaky gut and several food intolerances. Trying to heal and lose weight. Down 12 lbs since jan 3 and have over 30 to lose.
  • Legion229
    Options
    I started the whole30 and about half way in I ran across a book call "Practicals Paleo" really good book, with a ton of information. There are sections dedicated to different conditions. Check it out in you get the chance.

Myself, retired from the Army about 13 years ago. The day I retired I weighed 198. At the end of January I stepped on the scale and saw 227. The Whole30 was the buzz and started the ball rolling. I dropped 14 lbs, and back in the gym 4-5 times a week. I feel great, and am pretty sure I'll stay Paleo, (with the occasional cheat. Best of luck, feel free to share.
  • Legion229
    Options
    Kmf91604, that's the great thing I discovered about Paleo. We can tailor it to fit on on needs. It's not a one size fits all program. Don't get discourage, and if you have to, ease into it. I went all in and it was tough, after the first month, I introduced a few things back in to my diet, but now things are a treat, not a part of my everyday. Feel free to share your successes and challenges.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I'm still in the research phase. I was on a low carb/ketogenic diet for about a year and a half. Ended up affecting my thyroid due to nutrients I restricted but didn't replenish. Dancing the line before figuring out where I need to be. Possible chance of Hashimoto's Thyroiditis (to date have been told non-autoimmune hypothyroidism), which would result in the need to do restrictions of gluten, soy, dairy, and to some extent sugar. Not happy about this, exactly, as dairy will be that hard step, but researching now... Cutting as much as possible until I figure out a new plan. Ties with binge and compulsive eating that have only been even slightly moderated on the low carb plans.

I have PCOS, insulin resistance, hypothyroidism, etc.

Heaviest Recorded weight, 319
    Lowest Recent weight (2015): 239 (on Keto, before thyroid stall)
    Current weight: 282

40 year old, female, 5'4"
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I was also on keto with @KnitOrMiss and then my mental health tanked. I did a whole 30 last year and felt amazing but went back to old eating habits. I did a second whole 30 in October and stayed 80% paleo and just finished my 3rd whole 30 about 3 weeks ago. Went on vacation and was letting myself have one cheat meal. Well one cheat meal turned into a week long bender and I'm now 5 days back on track and just getting over the detox (again). I feel my best paleo but I find it a bit difficult living in a small town with few options at the store. But I make do with online shopping :)
  • Legion229
    Options
    Agree the Walmart in the town I live in caters to everything except a healthy life style. Even though I can't find organic/grain fed beef I try to stick to the healthiest options I can find. Shop the outside isles, all of the bad stuff is in the middle. Stay strong a feel great about yourself for the smallest amount of progress.
  • rh0322
    rh0322 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Not a stranger to Paleo, but coming back after a while. Stuck to Paleo for over a year and then cannot explain what happened. I still ate well, but added "healthy" non Paleo foods and gained weight and felt tired all the time. Been back to Paleo for a little while now. Just started tracking macros to keep carbs down. Not so worried about calories.

It's about healthy eating for me and preventing sickness later in life. I would like to lose 10 lbs, but am very active and enjoy working out (hot yoga, running, spin, weights).

Glad to be part of the group!

Rachel
  • Legion229
    Options
    Welcome back to the Paleo world. I am almost to my goal weight, but don't see myself veering away. I feel so much better and have only been at for just under two months. I just wanted a more healthy lifestyle. The nice again, welcome to the group.
  • StephenBug00
    StephenBug00 Posts: 7 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Hello! I'm new here. Call me Timmy or Bug. I've been on Paleo since January 4th of this year. I have several health problems, so I heard a lot of the problems can be helped simply by going Paleo. Should I post my story on here or just post a new thread for my super long health-life story? Long story short, I have lost a total of 43-45lb. A lot of problems I had before are now gone (Not dramatically miraculous stuff, but more minor). I just don't want to go through stuff alone anymore. It'd be good for me to participate in a group with similar thinking and goals. I don't have any local Paleo eater friends. I have a boring social life. lol

I'm looking forward to growing more and more through this group. :smile:

Timmy Bug
  • Zugirl28
    Zugirl28 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi - I am just starting. I am currently on Day 11 of The 21 Day Sugar Detox and then plan to transition to a paleo lifestyle.

I have osteoarthritis and had my knee replaced in Nov 2016 followed by a massive infection 30 days later. The plastic parts of the knee were replaced & I spent 2 weeks in the hospital. During that time, I realized I needed to make some changes to my life. Dropping some weight and becoming more active are at the top of my list !

Once I finished my physical therapy on Mar 31, I began working out at home, cutting back on processed food. Then I joined a gym 2 weeks ago, organized my kitchen and joined the Sugar Detox on May 1st.

I really don't have any local paleo friends so I look forward to bouncing thoughts, questions and ideas of others that don't look at me like I am a nut and going to die from all the protein and fat I eat.

Thanks,

Denise
  • Deb2chef
    Deb2chef Posts: 43 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I have tried all the diets out there and have to say that none have been sustainable for me. I have done so much research into nutrition and diet and did manage to loose a lot of weight doing the Atkins diet but I found it unsustainable as a lifetime choice.
    then I stumbled across the Paleo way of eating, Im not going to call it a diet because to me it looks like a sustainable way of eating and living healthily. I started at the beginning of May 2017 and still used skimmed milk for my decaf tea, a week ago I changed that to Almond milk unsweetened and natural. In the last three weeks I have lost 5 pounds, I can assume that this is fat as I was low carb before this anyway and so did not carry the water as such that carb eaters do. I have lost inches as my trousers are looser for sure. I must measure myself soon for the records.

I have read everything I can get my hands on about Paleo online and watched a lot of video's on YouTube in the last 3 weeks and just ordered a book which I think will be the best start for me.

I do go to the gym 3 -4 times a week for mild cardio work (mild because of a heart condition) I do about 45 minutes and burn around 200 calories per session, I do not go for the calorie burn but for the cardio strengthening benefits, the calorie burn is just a bonus.

Start Weight 162 pounds
    Weight today 157 pounds
  • LilTrosty21
    LilTrosty21 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am just starting Paleo. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and an Autoimmune disorder this week. Doctor mentioned that Paleo could help relieve some of my AI symptoms while also keeping my thyroid in check. Not really sure where to start as there is so much conflicting information on the web. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Starting Weight = 199 pounds
    Goal Weight = 150 pounds

I workout 5-6 times a week (usually 45-60 minutes at a time) doing strength training and/or cardio in addition to playing sports. I aim for strength training 3x a week and cardio 2x a week.
  • msjersey73
    msjersey73 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I refer to marksdailyapple.com
    Yes, there's way too many conflicting information out there. So I reviewed tons of information and kept coming back to Mark Sisson. It's helping me out with every question I have, I look on his site. It's been great!
    Good luck,
    Marykay
  • jeanniepl
    jeanniepl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I met with a nutritionist on march 30, 2017 ... cleaned out my kitchen that week-end and have been using MFP to track my food since that time. I am type 2 diabetic ... my blood sugar a1c went from 10.2 to 5.8 ... I have stopped taking metformin and have dropped my insulin from 70 units to 25 units. The weight is finally starting to come off and I have lost about 25 lbs. Paleo eating is becoming a life plan for me ... but it is not easy. Outside of my diet coach I don't know anyone else that doesn't think I am crazy :) It is nice to see there are others who are working the paleo plan !!
  • queenie2be
    queenie2be Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have tried nearly every weight loss diet out there. I am choosing Paleo because it seems to be more of a lifestyle change than a fad diet. Eating clean foods and cutting out processed garbage is the main thing that attracted my attention. I have many, many pounds to lose and am looking for a support system. My friends are all doing different diets or just restricting calories. My oldest son is a nay-sayer and swears this won't work for me. I look forward to meeting everyone.
  • queenie2be
    queenie2be Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    PS, I am T2 diabetic and have several serious health problems that can kill me if I don't make serious changes to my eating habits. I belong to a gym, but to be honest, I am very shy and scared to work out. I hope to find friends or family who will go with me soon so that I can get over my fears. I am in my 40's and I'm serious about getting healthy.
  • lisarawski
    lisarawski Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was a hard core paleo maniac living the lifestyle for over three years. I had a major career change and completely lost my mojo. Getting back in slowly...Glad to find this group!