Alternatives to Ketonix

Options
13»

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    My readings are 'alarming' in that I am blowing >0.050 of late instead of being in the typical 0.02-0.04 range. I have cut back on nuts and very high levels of coconut oil. Actually a couple days ago I got a 0.11 on one blow and even rechecked my readout type but I had not accidently changed it. When I first started Keto after a few months I was blowing 0.05-0.08 quite often. I need to dig out my blood ketone tester I guess. I was never one to go for high ketone levels. It could be some of the glucose lowering supplements perhaps effectively lower my net carb intake. Not concerned but I just wanted to mention it to help me to try to learn any WHYS.
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    My morning breath and first urine stream in the morning each have one or two different distinct odors, depending on the day. It's like vanilla-scented gasoline or nail polish remover, LOL

So I can tell without sticks, etc., that I'm in ketosis. I used the sticks twelve ears ago on Atkins, and they were not reliable at all. Money down the drain, IMHO
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    I found my Precision Xtra and have measured ketones and glucose twice. After lunch I blew a 0.10 on the breath analyzer and measured a ketone level of 0.9 and on glucose it tested 105. Now at six pm of not having eaten much since lunch I blew 0.071 and blood ketones measured at 0.6 and glucose was 93.

While both blowing and blood ketones did tract in the same directions I remember from nearly three years ago that is NOT always the case from my testing. Sometime when I get a 0.02 or better I will check the blood ketones again now that I remembered where I 'hid' my meter. :) I have never tested with sticks nor to I plan to purchase any. As long as my blood ketones are at 0.5 or greater most of the times I am pleased.

This Dec I will get another eye exam and see if cataract formations are still on hold. The doctor stated last year he expected my new way of eating is what arrested the development of cataracts. Next May I want to retest on the CT scan for CAC scoring. Now that IR seems to have gone bye-bye it will be interesting what happens to my cholesterol numbers.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    This AM before I ate I blew a 0.090 and my blood ketone level was 0.07 and glucose came in at 99. Remember the calories that you lose out of your lungs were never part of your CO of CICO estimation. After watch part 1 and 2 of Dr. Phinney's last conference down under I am shooting for blood levels of 0.05 to 1. When I go over a 2 I do not feel as well.

This $15 breath analyzer gives me all I need track the results of my carb eating.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    Just now blew 0.121 getting ready for bed so I decided to check blood levels and record them. Ketones still at the 0.07 reading but glucose was down to 90. I just came out of a very long hot shower not that was a factor in blowing the record high reading. It does reprove what I learned nearly three years ago that breath and blood ketones level show little if any correlationship. I will try to remember to pull another glucose reading first thing in the morning.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    After nothing more to eat and five hours of sleep I blew 0.090 with blood ketones up to 1.0 (a recent high level) and blood glucose down to 75 which is my lowest reading I have seen in years. I expect the Berberine supplement and others that are to support the glucose metabolism are actually helping plus the NMR lipid panel stated IR had gone bye bye finally. I will do this again for a few days to see if fasting glucose and ketone inversion continues.

This data shows breath ketones can decrease while blood ketones increase making the breath measurement more of an only go-no go gauge for sure. That is all I expect of it so I know I am in some measureable state of nutritional ketosis without bleeding for it.
  • Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I've been getting puzzling results from the breath meter. It started off with just about every use at 0.04. Then after a few days of that, it was reading 0.02 all the time. Then after a few more days it was 0.0 and it's been at 0.0 ever since. Meanwhile, I'm still getting dark pink or purple on the ketostix.

I'm wondering if my (cheap) breath meter is faulty, or if I'm just not expelling acetone in my breath. My carb intake is pretty consistently lower than 20g net, and still getting positives on the ketostix so I'm confident that I'm in ketosis.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    @Steph_Maks that may be the case and is why in 2014 I went ahead and got the Precision Xtra blood ketone/glucose meter.

Just now I blew 0.071 a couple hours after a LCHF breakfast. Blood ketones now read .08 and glucose now reads 105. The 0.02 decrease in breath ketones did reflex the .02 drop in blood ketone level this time.

While my cheap breath meter seems to be as accurate as the expensive Ketonix breath meter and much easier/safer to use (as in no USB port recharging required) based on my research I like it because the readout is at least objective data vs. subjective data like with the keto sticks and color of lights but without a keto blood meter our ketosis level is just a wild guess in my personal experience.

Knowing the blood level a few times a year works for me unless I am wanting to post some objective data on the subject or have something going on where I am trying to fix a health issue by burning mainly ketones vs glucose.

Now that I have my ketone levels up I am seeing some small weight loss taking place which I expect is mainly due to my decreased desire for as many nuts and coconut oil usage in my coffee.
  • Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Thanks @GaleHawkins! I've looked for the blood ketone meters here in Canada and the only options I've found so far, are extortionately expensive imports. Like $80 - $100 just for the meter, then the strips are also very expensive, and that's not even factoring in the shipping, duties, and taxes. :frowning:
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    Steph_Maks wrote: »
    Thanks @GaleHawkins! I've looked for the blood ketone meters here in Canada and the only options I've found so far, are extortionately expensive imports. Like $80 - $100 just for the meter, then the strips are also very expensive, and that's not even factoring in the shipping, duties, and taxes. :frowning:

WOW I see your point. I think I gave $25 off ebay and find short dated strips for about $2 each on ebay. That is why I use the breath meter that I do plus the blood thing. :)

• GaleHawkins
    Options
    Just ran my numbers at 11pm for the evening. I blew a 0.056 with blood ketones at 1.2 and blood glucose at 99.

It has been a hard day. The son and I have worked all day on putting back together a very heavy duty 6 foot bush hog due to a major breakage from hitting a blind stump. We had removed all the moving parts to get the welding done and need to get the fields around church ready for a big Saturday with fireworks at 9 PM so we put in about a 12 hour day on it. Thankfully we have an old backhoe that came in handy living the heavy parts.

Due to so much to do I did not eat so much today. I had a couple eggs for breakfast with BPC. About 2 PM I ate two round eggs and two pieces of sausages at McDonalds while on a parts run to town. About 5-6 I stopped and ate a can of tuna and some green tea.

While my breath testing at .056 was within normal range for me I was surprised with the blood ketone reading of 1.2 and would have expected my glucose levels to have been much lower.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    At 8 am I ran my numbers again after 8 hours of sleep and basically fasting since 5 pm yesterday and had a hard day physically and mentally yesterday rebuilding the bush hog.

I blew 0.08 on waking and after the testing below to check to see if the reading repeated. Ketone level was .9 and BG was 98.

As you can see I experienced an increase in breath ketone but a drop of .3 in blood ketones and sugar levels were basically unchanged after nothing to eat and 8 hours of sleep.

I think the last time I took 500 MG of Berberine was 5 PM yesterday before testing this morning.

Note: From my reading highest blood ketones is often after a hard workout . The hard manual labor of yesterday I expect is what lead in part to mine 1.2 reading last night.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    I have decided when I blow crazy high numbers like 0.1XX it is basically without meaning because people are not walking around blowing like 0.190 if it was from alcohol. :)

10 PM 27 June 2014 I blew a high number and ketone were .9 and BG 107
    7 AM 28 June blew high like 0.140 and ketones 1.3 and BG fasting was 91
    9 AM 29 June blew 0.035/Ketones .6 and BG fasting of 92

Personally I am going to assume if I can blow at .030+ on this current meter I am going to have ketones in the .5+ range based on blowing and blood results.

Without benchmarking any breath analyzer against blood ketone meter results it is a 'guess' but perhaps less of a guess than with keto sticks but maybe not. The blow meter is just a simple and cheap Go-No Go gauge in my personal experience.

Late yesterday I had to drive an hour to look at an old Exmark zero turn mower by myself since the son was helping out the day at a Boys Scout camp. I bought and started back home and stopped at a Wendy's because they had a lot of space on one side for the truck and trailer.

I order the low carb single but it came with a fry when they called my number. I ate my first order of fries in nearly 3 years and still am in a state of nutritional ketosis this morning. I was last night also per the breath analyzer.

Since I am down to 7 ketone strips and do not like the pricks I am going to stop the blood testing like this. If others have questions about my daily breath analyzer usage for nearly three years I will try to reply.

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    Found a site that compares Ketonix to a couple of models of old school breathanalyers:
    http://www.engineeringmyself.com/2016/11/using-cheap-breatalizer-to-measure.html

He recommends the Greenwon if you can't afford the Ketonix. So I am just keeping with mine. If the sensor wears out, I will just get another one, $10 every 6 months or so beats the high price of the Ketonix or blood meter strips.