Adjusting your food log when you don't finish your meal

Options
KCSF
KCSF Posts: 49 Member
I have been trying to be exact as possible with my calories. Due IBS and liver issues, my gastroenterologist has me tracking every bite I eat. She thinks it will also help me to get "back to basics" for my sleeve surgery (March of 2014). I gained about 20 pounds in 2016... not the direction I want to go!

Anyways, what does everyone do when you make a meal (weigh everything out, calculate the calories for it) but do not finish it? My example for today was lunch. I made a chicken taco (no shell) but I only ate 2/3. I have it all the time and sometimes I can eat it all plus fruit and some times I can only eat a few bits. I can't separate everything back out because it is all mixed together. And guessing seems like a slippery slope!

Since calories matter so much for our success (and ours can be so low in day), I am hoping to get it as close as possible.

Thanks for your opinions!

Replies

• MrsCarrieRobinson
    MrsCarrieRobinson Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Try making it a recipe, measure out what you would put into a serving. If you only eat have then log .5 serving, if you eat 4/3 then put .75 serving. It's easier then putting in every ingredient every time.
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Read "Why We Get Fat". Calories aren't as important as you may think. If you're in the ballpark with your logging you'll be ok. I fear people rely too much on calorie counting when so much more matters.
  • Samquentin
    Samquentin Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I was just told today, (six week post-op appt.) not to worry on the calories, as long as I am focusing on getting my protein in.
  • fit_chickx
    fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    KCSF wrote: »
    I have been trying to be exact as possible with my calories. Due IBS and liver issues, my gastroenterologist has me tracking every bite I eat. She thinks it will also help me to get "back to basics" for my sleeve surgery (March of 2014). I gained about 20 pounds in 2016... not the direction I want to go!

Anyways, what does everyone do when you make a meal (weigh everything out, calculate the calories for it) but do not finish it? My example for today was lunch. I made a chicken taco (no shell) but I only ate 2/3. I have it all the time and sometimes I can eat it all plus fruit and some times I can only eat a few bits. I can't separate everything back out because it is all mixed together. And guessing seems like a slippery slope!

Since calories matter so much for our success (and ours can be so low in day), I am hoping to get it as close as possible.

Thanks for your opinions!

I had my surgery June 2014. To maintain my weight, I have a 15 pound bounce range. My gains are usually from not adjusting my food to fit my activity level and Carbs sneaking back into my meals.

Bariatric basics for me..
    I weigh and log what I actualy eat. At three years out, Its easy for me to eat more food. I do track my calories, protien and carbs.

When I eat ground turkey tacos from the previous day. My log wont be 100% accurate. Its a good estimate. I still know if I'm in range of hitting my calorie and macro goals for the day.
  • KCSF
    KCSF Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Aztec4Life wrote: »
    Read "Why We Get Fat". Calories aren't as important as you may think. If you're in the ballpark with your logging you'll be ok. I fear people rely too much on calorie counting when so much more matters.

Thanks for the recommendation! I am always looking for books and documentaries that can educate our beliefs about food.