Feeling frustrated

Options
I got to vent..... since the surgery (sleeve, June 21st 2017) I have conquered walking, nausea, pain, gross food options and now I'm frustrated. I am supposed to sip 4ozs every hour to stay hydrated and still eat 3 meals, and 3 snacks on an estimated 4oz stomach. I am never hungry and have no idea what it feels like to be full. Of course I don't want to stretch it. It's got a way to heal. I have pain that feels like gas pain but after 5 days you would think all of the gas they pumped in for surgery would be gone. Am I mistaking the pain for gas when it's really hunger or fullness?? I know I will get through this too, but it's frustrating.

Replies

• JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Do the best you can. If you're not EXACT with timing or amounts you'll be fine. You're in early stages. Things change quickly. I didn't have those types of specific instructions and turned out fine.
  • TryingTeresa
    TryingTeresa Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    5 days out and eating 3 meals and 3 snacks seems like asking a lot of your stomach. This may be why you feel bad. First, check with your doctor and nut. - tell them everything. You might be able to adjust something. Protein drinks should be a staple for now to make sure you are getting in liquids and protein - but if you are only 5 days out and having any discomfort - CALL your doctor.
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I agree with @Ultima_Morpha and @TryingTeresa ! You shouldn't be eating solids this soon out! All surgeons have different plans, but I cannot imagine the act of digesting solids can be good for that staple line! I would be willing to bet that's the discomfort! I was on liquids for three weeks, purees for two, soft foods for two, then finally slowly introduced solids!

Do a day of only shakes and broth, jello, sf popsicles, see if your discomfort lessens. If it does, talk to your surgeon about sticking to that for a while. If it doesn't, talk to your surgeon to get their opinion on that. You are so early out it's important to have clear communication with your surgical team.

Good luck!
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    My surgeon starts puree straight after surgery
    Luckily for me the staff forgot i existed and kept me nil by mouth for 3 days

The first puree they begrudgingly gave me i took one mouthful and had to be shot up with morphine as it bloody well hurt

I went home day 5 expected to eat 3 meals

Breakfast was half a protien shake and luch and dinner were purees i thinned out with protien enriched milk, the equivalent amount of half a first size baby jar

The majority of the rest of my day was spent sipping at water. No set amount just enough to keep me hydrated

If your struggling please contact your team for clarification and/or physical help
  • fit_chickx
    fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I got to vent..... since the surgery (sleeve, June 21st 2017) I have conquered walking, nausea, pain, gross food options and now I'm frustrated. I am supposed to sip 4ozs every hour to stay hydrated and still eat 3 meals, and 3 snacks on an estimated 4oz stomach. I am never hungry and have no idea what it feels like to be full. Of course I don't want to stretch it. It's got a way to heal. I have pain that feels like gas pain but after 5 days you would think all of the gas they pumped in for surgery would be gone. Am I mistaking the pain for gas when it's really hunger or fullness?? I know I will get through this too, but it's frustrating.

Of course your not hungry. Your stamach is still healing. Be gentle with yourself. It takes time to learn how to eat and how to feel your new sensation of full.

Great advice above. Check on your instructions of food progression. You dont want to eat something that may not let your stomach heal properly.
  • cjcarter77
    cjcarter77 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I was sleeved on 6/21/17 as well and there is no way I would be able to have 3 "meals", 3"snacks", plus all of my liquids. I am slowly building up, but only averaging 1.5 protein shakes and about 50 oz of actual water a day. Take it slow and listen to you body! The pains you are feeling may be from taking too much at once. If I swallow more water than I should it is painful for a moment.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    fit_chickx wrote: »

You dont want to eat something that may not let your stomach heal properly.

Reminds me of a woman my surgeon operated on.

She didnt bother reading any of the doctors instructions and decided 1 week after sleeve surgery to eat a cheese sandwich.......

She woke up in icu a month later. She burst her staples, stuff went where it shouldnt, went into shock and needed a ventilator until things were repaired and the subsequent infections could be brought under control

Scared the life out of me being told this pre surgery
  • clcmfp
    clcmfp Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    You can always back up a step. I was on just protein shakes and liquids for 3 weeks post surgery. It all feels very weird and like you're never going to be normal again, but it does get better. It could just be that you aren't ready for what you're "allowed" to do. Just because you're allowed, doesn't mean you have to!