I'm NOT hungry, I'm ...........

Options
I struggle with emotional eating, and I've been off track for months. While I make fairly wise choices for meals, the snacking is out of control!

I have decided to think more about my reasons for eating, and whenever I have the urge to snack, I'm going to label the feeling.

For instance, right now.....I'm NOT hungry, I'm frustrated. (I want to let go of possessions and my husband wants to keep everything!). Eating will not change that. Instead I will: put away that basket of clothes that keeps staring at me.

So, if you want to join me reply-

I'm NOT hungry, I'm ........ instead of eating I will........

Replies

• UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,957 Member
    Options
    Have you tried mindfulness meditation? Very helpful for dealing with frustrations like these.

Good luck and stay strong!!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    WHen I am not hungry, I clean/organize the kitchen so everything will be nice later.
    http://www.mrpositive.com/washing-the-dishes/#sthash.YFfKyidH.dpbs
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,957 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    WHen I am not hungry, I clean/organize the kitchen so everything will be nice later.
    http://www.mrpositive.com/washing-the-dishes/#sthash.YFfKyidH.dpbs

Such a great article. Thanks for linking!!
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    I'm not hungry...I'm bored...tired...tempted.. I eat for lots of reasons. My control varies by the day.
  • marshal616
    marshal616 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm not hungry, I'm eating to reach my calorie goal.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    that's very hard.

Does drinking water help? You can make it fancy with sliced lemons and cucumbers and fresh herbs if you like them!
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    . .. Anxious
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    At The dentist
  • downongreenacres
    downongreenacres Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Stressed out at work sends me in to poor eating routines
  • jspecies19
    jspecies19 Posts: 21 Member
    Options

I totally can relate to the work stress trigger
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options

Me too :(
  • rgec58
    rgec58 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I stay on track when busy, paying attention to my calorie and nutrient intake, but when I am stressed or bored, it is hard to keep from opening the pantry, the frig or cupboard to just find anything to eat.
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I'm not hungry, I'm stresses about my daughter's upcoming wedding! And when I'm stressed I want comfort food! So, instead, I try to keep my hands busy and do the next task like painting the jars and signs for the centerpiece, or folding the favor boxes, or cutting and labeling the soap favors. So much to do! We are at the T minus 3 weeks and counting!
  • dena789
    dena789 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm an emotional eater as well. It does help when I am able to figure out why I'm eating or wanting to eat something. More often than not, I seem to have that 'little devil' on my shoulder telling me I really am hungry and "just eat something, you'll feel better". Something that has been working for me is a rule of Just One. This means that I can have one treat, one meal out, one snack per day as long as it fits in below my maximum calories. So, if I had lunch out, there's no more snacks that day.

I find I need to have more room in my daily calories. I first set my goal in MPF to lose 2 pounds per week and the calorie goal per day was 1200. When I changed to 1 per week, it went up by several hundred calories. So, what I do is use 1200 as the base but I allow myself to go up to the higher number if I need to. It gives me a little bit of flexibility to still eat out or have a snack if I really want to. I use 1200 as my minimum and the higher number as my maximum calories daily.

The combination of these two things has been working very well for me. I've been able to lose 2 pounds a week and occasionally more.