Keto Flu?

Options
steph0324
steph0324 Posts: 18 Member
So I read about it before I started. I thought I was doing everything to avoid it and had been supplementing my sodium (5000mg) and magnesium (500mg) as well as getting my potassium through food so though I would be fine. Yesterday was day 10 on this WOE and I am down 12 pounds. I was out at the barn that I work at on my days off from my real job. I got on a horse and had a tack issue that caused me to have to get off immediately, correct it, and then get back on. When I went to get on, the horse jumped as I was half on, so we went about a half a lap around the arena before I was able to regain control and actually get feet into stirrups. I immediately started feeling weak and figured it was just an adrenaline rush. I tried to power through, but started getting super dizzy so had to get off. I handed the horse to one of the ever present teenagers, and sat in the air conditioner for a few minutes until I figured I was fine, tried to get on again, was dizzy again, and had to get off. I spent the rest of the day dizzy and nauseated. I had to bribe the teenagers to jog alongside my lesson students horses since there was no way I could manage it for the day. I was well hydrated all day so that wasn't the cause and had eaten a good breakfast. Could there be something else I am doing wrong?

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Your post reads "had been supplementing". Does that mean you quit supplementing? Supplementation with at least sodium, can be and often is, ongoing when eating very low carb. I eat about 50 total grams now after a year of ~20 grams and still have days I need to do my go to which is either lick about a half tsp out of the palm of my hand or chew on a boullion cube.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Also 5000mg of sodium is a general recommendation that doesn't fit everyone's needs.
    Exercise, drinking a lot of fluids (you say you "well hydrated"... you could've been over hydrated as far as sodium to water ratio) and sweating are just a few things that can make your needs even higher.
    Stephen Phinney recconmemds dosing 1000mg 30 minutes prior to physical activity.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WNV0GJcrqp4
  • steph0324
    Options
    I think that may have been the case. I was taking the same amount of sodium that I used on a normal day, not on a day that it was 90 degrees outside when I was being very active. I usually try to space it out throughout the day, but I will try next week to take more in the morning and to up the amount all together. Thanks for the suggestions! Still trying to figure everything out!
  • pitbullmamaliz
    pitbullmamaliz Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Pretty horse. <3
  • 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Also consider having broth just prior to the training. Keto athletes should have a dose of sodium prior to working out.
  • steph0324
    Options
    Pretty horse. <3

Yours too!