When you get called to the dark side...

Options
getfitchelle
getfitchelle Posts: 31 Member
Guys, I'm having a bread crisis of massive proportions! The toaster is screaming at me. What do you do when you are feeling like this? Nothing is helping.

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Guys, I'm having a bread crisis of massive proportions! The toaster is screaming at me. What do you do when you are feeling like this? Nothing is helping.

My toaster (along with all the flour, rice, and other stuff in my kitchen for which I had no legitimate use) went the way of the dodo during the Cupboard Purge of 2016.

So... wherever that *kitten* toaster is today, I'm deaf to it (and wouldn't know what to feed it, anyhow!).
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    You just say no.
    It's not your food. Just like dog food isn't your food. Do you have to make yourself not eat dog food? ;)
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Oh for heaven's sake, I personally have had very good experiences with feeing a craving to make it go away; however, I do it so it doesn't ruin my progress:

https://lowcarbyum.com/low-carb-soul-bread-review/

Two birds, one stone.
  • pitbullmamaliz
    pitbullmamaliz Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Oh my. That Soul Bread sounds perfect. Thank you!
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I hate to sound sycophantic (I like everything she writes!) but I very much favour @Sunny_Bunny_ 's approach.
    Because I work in a store that also sells food, we often have bread brought up from the bakery for us to consume during our meal breaks.
    Who doesn't love the smell of freshly-baking bread?? It wafts through the store and is a welcoming aroma for early shoppers... so to many members of staff it's a welcome bonus.

Not to me it ain't.
    To me? That stuff is poison.
    Like a mesmerising cobra that entices you to approach it, then darts sharply and bites you, bread, to me, is something to steer well clear of.

(Incidentally, as far as the UK is concerned, food sold for the consumption of animals, must also be fit for human consumption. Just in case some drunken/sleepy individual wakes up at night and has a hankering for tinned stew or a cracker with their coffee.... ;)

Of course, it's also to not affect a blind person opening and using the wrong tin.....)
  • CrispyStars3
    CrispyStars3 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I've thrown myself into a project or two: organizing closets, garage, deep cleaning, jump on treadmill, go shopping-mostly to Lowe's to wander the garden center. My other fix (if needed) is: a cup of coffee.
    For me, I choose not to give in. I've worked so hard to get to where I am now. I remind myself of my health/weight loss long term goals.
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I'm with the "not food" group.

I thought I could indulge this and that for special occasions. Mostly, I can't. Especially if it is bread or junk chocolate. First bite tastes bad, second tastes less bad, 5 minutes later the whole whatever has disappeared, and I'm in a haze of "why did I eat that?". Not only that but one slip means a second it's way more likely to happen soon.

It took me a year to acknowledge it.

::flowerforyou::
  • AshStout83
    AshStout83 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'm LCHF, not Adkins, so I eat low carb bread from Aldi. Due to fiber, it only has 9 carbs per 2 slices. If I want a sandwich, I use that and it's very good.
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    No one said reaching your goals is easy. For those of us who feel we have been successful it came with will power and our ability to understand that bread is not a means to reach our goals. It comes down to you and your decisions. We are here for encouragement (although as I am writing this I can see that this might now seem like encouragement) but ultimately it is us who has the decision of what goes into our mouth. Once I got this permanently implanted in my brain I made progress, before that I always found an excuse to eat too much, eat foods that I knew were not in my plan.

It all depends on you and your goals - if bread doesnt fit in your plan I find it hard for us to tell you its ok to do so.
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I'm kinda in the "just don't do it" camp but had to learn what my "don't" foods are. I kinda also take that back. I had to learn what "my just don't do it" MOODS and situations are. I can "do" about any food in certain situations but choose to not "do" them at home.

If you can eat 1 piece of toast and toast causes you no biological harm, what is the worst thing that would happen? From the perspective that it does no harm, I'm in the "eat it and get over it" camp. You're probably just giving a piece of toast more "power" over your thoughts and behavior than it deserves.

Until you get these things figured out, I'm in the "clean up your environment" camp. Get the toaster off the counter and the bread out of the house or at least out of sight if you keep it around for others. Ha! The "for others" is a head game I played for a while. It was really for me.

The "keto recipe" also works beautifully for some people. I happen to not be one of those people. I saw the Soul Bread recipe and immediately calculated 200 calories x 16 slices = 3200 calories for the loaf. Sad but true. :/

We're all different. Find what makes you tick. Sometimes you have to do it to learn. It is usually not the end of the world. I overate and became over weight for many reasons. I had to learn what those reasons were. For me it was a blend of the biological and psychological. My world is full of environmental stimuli. I control what I can at home and the learned behaviors transfer into the world around me.

This said it much better than I...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't have a toaster, never have (not a bread person), but in general I'd look at my carb limit and see if it could fit in.

I DON'T have anything off limits -- I plan to bake and eat pie on holidays, for example (probably not the 4th just because it's more of an ice cream holiday for me and I'm playing around with low carb ice creams). However, I find it's best not to give into immediate cravings but to plan for thing, since if I start giving into "I want this now even though it's off plan or too many calories or too many carbs" then it's easy to have it spiral. If I really want something not on my regular menu, I figure out how and when I will fit it in. Might be small amounts within my goals, might be a special meal where I don't worry about carbs (ideally before or after a long run or other physical activity).

I admit that I am not particularly concerned with being in keto or going in and out of keto, though. I do best eating usually low carb, even what I consider quite low carb, but for me it doesn't have to be every single day, and the only foods that I just don't eat are things I don't really want to eat ever (which for me usually means fast foods, lots of highly processed snack foods that have never really appealed, etc.).
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    +1 on the Soul Bread that @ladipoet mentions. When I just have to toast and butter something, or I want a quick toast pizza, a thin slice of that does the trick.

Do be sure to use one of the recommended brands of protein powder. I made my first loaf with inexpensive protein powder from Stuff*Mart :wink: , and all I could taste was protein.
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    This is a weird one but I promise you I'm not full of it. I never have an issue with cravings. How? Mindfulness.

Mindfulness meditation or mindfulness generally increases your capacity for something called 'metacognition'. It's the part of you that can observe your thoughts and feelings. That's all mindfulness is, the practice of observing your state.

This isn't hippie dippie woo woo eat granola in a drum circle at burning man. This show up on brain scans. The part of your brain responsible for self-reflection, your pre-frontal cortex. That gets bigger when people meditate daily, if it's mindfulness meditation.

What this does for you is it really give you the ability to not be swayed or compelled by things like cravings or moods. Because the part of you that notices you are angry isn't, itself, angry. The part of you that notices that you're craving carbs isn't craving carbs. So, with minfulness practice, when something like that happens, it's quite easy to just notice it. You just think, "Okay, that's something that's happening right now."

It becomes more like if you start having a spasm in your eye or if your legs are sore after a run. There are things you can do to sooth those issues but you wouldn't compromise your goals to ease those things. You don't struggle to stay on track because your leg is sore. You know it will go away, and until then you are simply aware of it.

Mindfulness lets you have that attitude towards your moods and urges.

It's probably not going to work with something like a gunshot wound or the rage you would feel if somebody murdered your whole family. But it really helps with stuff life bad traffic and sugar cravings.
  • getfitchelle
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I would throw it all away, unfortunately I don't live alone. I have a baby, two bigger kids and a husband who all dig their toast! The house is full of tempting foods. 'Just don't do it' wasn't really working for me yesterday so I just needed a little kick up the backside. I've gotten everyone else a little lower carb, but bread is $1 a loaf and works for us as we are on one income. As it is, I am spending an unfair amount of our budget on my 'special' foods.

Toast was always my favourite. Also, I've never had a dog, but imagine dry dog food tastes terrible. Toast does not. Raw meat though...yeah I'd be down for that sorta dog food haha!

I've tried mindfulness but find it really difficult as I'm always surrounded by people in the house. Find it really hard to quieten my brain. I can't mindfully eat because the baby and toddler are always hanging about. I end up wolfing each meal down ASAP. Baby also wakes a lot at night so I'm tired and grumpy (she's almost 1). I am seriously never alone, day or night, which in itself is wearisome. Everyone's loud, or crying, or nagging me for some of what I'm eating.

I'm certainly an emotional eater. Thank you very much for your replies. I ended up getting busy moving some furniture around the house and ate some chicken instead.

Yesterday was the end of week 3 and was the hardest day so far. Nothing tasted good and I was very hungry.
  • getfitchelle
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Also, the would bread does look nice! Still surprises me how sweet American bread is though. Sweetener in bread sounds so weird!

I'm in New Zealand so don't have access to a lot of the stores or brands here. I can't find any of the things like almond flour etc I see in so many recipes. Online stores have it but the expense is ridiculous.

I'm doing keto so bread is 100% off limits.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    ^^ This, with Mediation music, a cushion and a calm environment with bells on, this. ^^