***IN YO MOUTH*** - Summer 2017 - Weeks 3 & 4 Discussions

Options
SmithsonianEmpress
SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
Ladies, let's talk diet.
What/When/How much do you eat on your typical day?

Give us a glimpse of your normal routine on a day where you 'have it all together'.....or let us know your favorite meal, your go-to meal, your quickest meal. Below are some topics we can format into our discussion:

Breakfast
Lunch
Dinner
Snacks
Fruits & Vegetables
Coffee/Tea
Sweeteners
Smoothies
Vitamins
Supplements
Weight Watchers/Keto/Low Carb/No Carb/Vegetarian/Fasting/
It Works/Herbalife/Plexus/Isagenix/Shakeology/Advocare/Nutrisystem/Volume Eating
Eating out..or not?
Water intake ... how do you get it in?
Sweet treats....yay or nay?

Replies

• bribucks
    bribucks Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    A typical day for me ... I am on 1300 cal a day, but on gym days I eat around 1450-1500ish.

Breakfast
    Protein shake - SunWarrior (Warrior Blend, chocolate flavor - 100 cal) with almond milk and sometimes cold coffee
    130 cal

Mid-morning snack
    Light & Fit strawberry yogurt
    70 cal

Lunch
    Soup, or leftovers from dinner, or a meal prep variation of chicken/brown rice/veggies
    Side salad, or applesauce, or veggies & dip/hummus
    Low-fat string cheese stick
    300-400 cal

After work snack
    Depending on what I ate for lunch, a string cheese stick, or veggies & hummus, or on gym days ... half an apple or half a thin bagel with almond butter (for the carbs)
    50-150 cal

Dinner
    Various recipes, usually with chicken as the protein because I'm boring
    On a lazy day, we'll cook up a frozen dinner bag (we try to get "healthy" brands but unfortunately most of them contains lots of sodium anyways)
    On a gym day, my dinner is always Chipotle right after the gym. I always get the same thing - brown rice, chicken, corn, cheese, hot sauce, and a little guac.
    400-720 cal
  • Megan91384
    Megan91384 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Breakfast - Usually Greek yogurt, or a lite Greek Yogurt, luna bar, or overnight oats if I'm having a light lunch (Oats, almond milk, chia seeds, PB2, and honey)
    Lunch - Spring mix salad with wonton strips and lite Asian Toasted Sesame dressing, Lean Cuisine, chicken pita, etc.
    Dinner - protein and veges. we've been grilling a lot. Chicken, pork loin, etc. I love potatoes so I've been baking them with olive oil and sea salt, yum!!!
    Snacks - luna bar, popcorn, watermelon, cherries,
    Coffee/Tea - in morning I have coffee with whipped whole milk, ice tea throughout the day
    Vitamins - Women's once a day chewables and an Iron pill
    Sweet treats....yay or nay? If I'm craving something sweet at night I have Halo Top. If I'm craving chocolate I have a Pearson's chocolate mint (35 calories) or a chocolate protein shake
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options
    A typical day for me ... I am on 1300 cal a day, but on gym days I eat around 1450-1500ish.

Breakfast
    Protein shake - SunWarrior (Warrior Blend, chocolate flavor - 100 cal) with almond milk and sometimes cold coffee
    130 cal

Mid-morning snack
    70 cal

Lunch
    Soup, or leftovers from dinner, or a meal prep variation of chicken/brown rice/veggies
    300-400 cal

After work snack
    Depending on what I ate for lunch, a string cheese stick, or veggies & hummus, or on gym days ... half an apple or half a thin bagel with almond butter (for the carbs)
    50-150 cal

Dinner
    On a lazy day, we'll cook up a frozen dinner bag (we try to get "healthy" brands but unfortunately most of them contains lots of sodium anyways)
    On a gym day, my dinner is always Chipotle right after the gym. I always get the same thing - brown rice, chicken, corn, cheese, hot sauce, and a little guac.
    400-720 cal

I LOVE Chipotle!!!...How do you like that SunWarrior?
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options
    Megan91384 wrote: »
    Breakfast - Usually Greek yogurt, or a lite Greek Yogurt, luna bar, or overnight oats if I'm having a light lunch (Oats, almond milk, chia seeds, PB2, and honey)
    Lunch - Spring mix salad with wonton strips and lite Asian Toasted Sesame dressing, Lean Cuisine, chicken pita, etc.
    Dinner - protein and veges. we've been grilling a lot. Chicken, pork loin, etc. I love potatoes so I've been baking them with olive oil and sea salt, yum!!!
    Snacks - luna bar, popcorn, watermelon, cherries,
    Coffee/Tea - in morning I have coffee with whipped whole milk, ice tea throughout the day
    Vitamins - Women's once a day chewables and an Iron pill
    Sweet treats....yay or nay? If I'm craving something sweet at night I have Halo Top. If I'm craving chocolate I have a Pearson's chocolate mint (35 calories) or a chocolate protein shake

I used to make overnight oats, but I couldn't get the consistency right. I realized also that chia seeds aren't for me. I just can't. I think I make it too gummy. I need to revisit it because its SUPER convenient. What flavor Luna bars do you like? I don't know why I can't get on the Halo Top bad wagon. I tried the bday cake and I was like..meh.
  • jurapak9960
    jurapak9960 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    The diet I have currently been on for 6 months cuts calories, fat, as well as carbs. Protein is high and all carbs come from plant products (so no whole wheat, pasta, artificial sugars or gluten). I aim to have 110g of proteins per day, stay under 75g of carbs per day, as well as staying under 40g of fats per day. I did a lot of research before I started this diet, and it is specialized to fit what I need. I have altered my macros for what works for me and adapted based on my level of activity, weight and current loss to-date.

Breakfast:
    Light Muscle Milk
    100 Calories and 20g of Protein
    OR
    2 Eggs scrambled with salt and pepper
    3 ounces of fresh fruit
    165 Calories

Snack:
    Hard Boiled Egg
    74 calories

Lunch:
    Chicken (4-5 oz.)
    Sauteed Peppers, Onions and Broccoli (4 oz.)
    Fat-Free Cottage Cheese
    250 Calories

Snack:
    Trail Mix (1/4 Cup)
    150 Calories

Dinner:
    Chicken, Ground Turkey or Salmon (7 oz.)
    Veggies (8 oz.)
    Olive Oil (1/2 tbsp.)
    Fresh Fruit (4 oz.)
    350 - 400 Calories

I try to stay within a 1200 calorie limit because that works for me. A lot of people recommend a higher amount of calories, but it works well with my hunger levels, amount of activity I am doing, as well as work schedule (in regards to food prep time). As I get further along in the process of my diet, I add in more protein and veggies which ups my calorie intake by 100-200 calories per day and I probably reevaluate my plan once every 6 weeks.

Once per week I give myself a cheat meal, but after 6 months of doing this diet, the biggest cheat meal for me is a nice juicy steak, some roasted red potatoes and a whole plate of veggies. My fiancee and I rarely go out to eat anymore. I feel like I am still getting the proper nutrients, but I am also indulging a fair amount when I cook my own food.

In regards to hydration, I need to increase my water intake significantly. Lately, I haven't been feeling as hydrated during my workouts and I know it will benefit me greatly to increase my water by 30-40 oz. more per day. Currently I am only have about 40-60 oz. of water per day which I know is not enough for me.

So far this diet has really worked for me. I have also helped my fiancee with his health and losing weight. Since December I have lost 61 pounds and my fiancee has lost over 100. We both were very overweight and feel like this has educated us so much on our health and how we can grow our family in the future with healthy educated options. We are currently training for our first half marathon and plan on doing our first marathon next year during our honeymoon!

The best advice I can give someone is to find what works for you and do your research! Every person is different and with motivation, hard work and finding your path of greatest success you will definitely see the results you are looking for!

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I am currently calorie cycling so I have two low days, two high surplus days and three medium days so around 2200-2500 cals average. I only really track the low days which are around 1700-2000 cals so I will give an example of one of those days:

Breakfast:
    2 slices toast with peanut butter and jam, coffee with milk (~400 cal)

Snack:
    Fibre one bar (90 cal)

Lunch:
    Light Chicken Caesar salad (~350cal)

Snack:
    Protein bar (~200cal)

Dinner:
    Chicken tacos with veggies, cheese, guac.. glass of wine (750cals)

Dessert:
    Small ice cream bar (100 cal)

Total P:150g, C:160g, F:70g

I am pretty flexible.. my main aim is to keep protein and fibre pretty high. On weekends I go out to eat, have functions and eat with family so those are my surplus days.
  • mebelfanti
    mebelfanti Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    My daily calorie goal is about 1700 and it's a good number for me. I struggled in the beginning staying under but now my body/mind is used to it. I am usually several hundred calories under this on a normal day during the week and since I don't eat back any exercise calories, I let my eating on the weekends be more flexible. I still make healthy choices on the weekends and don't go off the rails by any means, but having a more relaxed approach for 2 days a week makes me feel like this is more of a lifestyle and not a diet. And it's probably why I've stayed on weight loss wagon for as long as I have this time. Once I get closer to my goal weight I'll probably start caring about my macros more, but right now my goal is weight loss and simply counting calories is working for me.

Breakfast
    Labrada Lean Pro 8 protein shake right after AM workout. I've started to mix the chocolate and strawberry flavors and it's seriously one of the highlights of my day haha
    Some days I'll have a rice cake and PB if I'm still hungry when I get to work

Lunch/Snacks
    I pack pretty much the same thing every day to bring to work and will usually eat most of it throughout the day:
    Hard boiled egg, banana, carrots, yogurt, almonds, string cheese
    Sometimes some chicken, steak, and/or veggie leftovers if I have them

Dinner
    Varies but it usually consists of either chicken or steak with 2-3 veggie sides (mostly the frozen/microwave kind) or a fresh salad
    If we eat out during the week it's Chipotle or Panera, those are the healthiest fast food type options nearby

Desserts and Snacks
    Low cal, low fat popcorn
    Halo Top (just recently started buying this and wow, lives up to the hype)
    Half of a Think Thin protein bar, my favorites right now are brownie crunch and creamy peanut butter - kind of tastes like a Reese's cup!

Water
    I drink a ton in the morning when I work out, plus more in the car on the way to work.
    I have a 16oz cup at my desk that I fill up 2-3 times per day
    I have a cup of coffee in the morning (which also helps keep me feeling full) and a cup of green tea in the afternoon
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options
    The diet I have currently been on for 6 months cuts calories, fat, as well as carbs. Protein is high and all carbs come from plant products (so no whole wheat, pasta, artificial sugars or gluten). I aim to have 110g of proteins per day, stay under 75g of carbs per day, as well as staying under 40g of fats per day. I did a lot of research before I started this diet, and it is specialized to fit what I need. I have altered my macros for what works for me and adapted based on my level of activity, weight and current loss to-date.

Breakfast:
    Light Muscle Milk
    100 Calories and 20g of Protein
    OR
    2 Eggs scrambled with salt and pepper
    3 ounces of fresh fruit
    165 Calories

Snack:
    Hard Boiled Egg
    74 calories

Lunch:
    Chicken (4-5 oz.)
    Sauteed Peppers, Onions and Broccoli (4 oz.)
    Fat-Free Cottage Cheese
    250 Calories

Snack:
    Trail Mix (1/4 Cup)
    150 Calories

Dinner:
    Chicken, Ground Turkey or Salmon (7 oz.)
    Veggies (8 oz.)
    Olive Oil (1/2 tbsp.)
    Fresh Fruit (4 oz.)
    350 - 400 Calories

I try to stay within a 1200 calorie limit because that works for me. A lot of people recommend a higher amount of calories, but it works well with my hunger levels, amount of activity I am doing, as well as work schedule (in regards to food prep time). As I get further along in the process of my diet, I add in more protein and veggies which ups my calorie intake by 100-200 calories per day and I probably reevaluate my plan once every 6 weeks.

Once per week I give myself a cheat meal, but after 6 months of doing this diet, the biggest cheat meal for me is a nice juicy steak, some roasted red potatoes and a whole plate of veggies. My fiancee and I rarely go out to eat anymore. I feel like I am still getting the proper nutrients, but I am also indulging a fair amount when I cook my own food.

In regards to hydration, I need to increase my water intake significantly. Lately, I haven't been feeling as hydrated during my workouts and I know it will benefit me greatly to increase my water by 30-40 oz. more per day. Currently I am only have about 40-60 oz. of water per day which I know is not enough for me.

So far this diet has really worked for me. I have also helped my fiancee with his health and losing weight. Since December I have lost 61 pounds and my fiancee has lost over 100. We both were very overweight and feel like this has educated us so much on our health and how we can grow our family in the future with healthy educated options. We are currently training for our first half marathon and plan on doing our first marathon next year during our honeymoon!

The best advice I can give someone is to find what works for you and do your research! Every person is different and with motivation, hard work and finding your path of greatest success you will definitely see the results you are looking for!

This is AWESOME! It appears I need to do some research...extensively before I change my workouts. Congrats on that 160# combo loss.
  • tlee278
    tlee278 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    For me, breakfast is usually Greek yogurt or cottage cheese with fresh salsa and a couple dashes of hot sauce.
    Mid-morn snack is apple with peanut butter or celery with PB or hummus
    Lunch consists of leftovers usually or tuna packs with some cut up veges to munch on.
    Afternoon snack is string cheese or apple with peanut butter.
    Dinner could be anything-I mostly cook at home anymore; relying a lot on crockpot meals or changing up traditional dinners to make the healthier. Last week was ground turkey with taco seasoning on romaine lettuce and fresh salsa. I've been finding some really good recipes on MFP. The sweet potato chili with quinoa is the bomb!! Everyone loved that...
    I'm getting between 70-100oz of water in a day; on weekends it's more as I work a pt job and it's hot so I try and stay hydrated.
    Then of course, I do like my beer too! Really missing Stella right now...lol!
  • bribucks
    bribucks Posts: 431 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

Breakfast
    130 cal

Mid-morning snack
    70 cal

Lunch
    300-400 cal

After work snack
    50-150 cal

Dinner
    400-720 cal

I LOVE Chipotle!!!...How do you like that SunWarrior?

Chipotle is the best! My husband was a manager there at one point so we used to get it for free, which was even better! Like any restaurant, it's all about the choices you make there - if you make good choices, it will be healthy.

Sun warrior - I like it! My first experience with a plant based protein. People say plant based doesn't mix quite as well as whey protein but I really haven't had much problem with it. I just use a shaker bottle, not a blender, and don't notice many flecks. Of course you can always opt to use a blender which would mix it even better. I think it does have stevia in it, which some people don't like the taste of.
  • spdaphne
    spdaphne Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Breakfast
    *can be a fruit smoothie with berries, kale, some kind of fat (avocado, almond butter, etc.) with some protein (beans, sausage, meat, etc.) on the side
    *or dinner leftovers such as beans, rice, potatoes with protein (tofu, chicken, smoked salmon, etc.) with a nice serving of greens such as salad or sautéed veggies

Lunch
    *similar to my savory breakfast above
    *if eating out - mexican (tacos or salad), salad with lots of deliciousness, spring rolls, soup, etc.

Dinner
    *similar to above

Snacks
    *nuts lately, so i need to branch out on this
    *hummus and carrots
    *popcorn

Vitamins/Supplements
    *Rainbow Light Women's One Multivitamin
    *Source Naturals Essential Enzymes Digestive Aid
    *Jarrow Formulas Jarro-Dophilus EPS

Sweet treats....yay or nay?
    I'm trying to do better in this. But I do have a small bag of Unreal dark chocolate peanut butter cups http://getunreal.com/ & Bare cinnamon banana chips http://www.baresnacks.com/products/products/banana-chips/cinnamon-banana-chips/ over at my fiancé's apartment. I really make it a point to not buy sweets to keep in the house because I'll eat them. See how this goes as he's moving in over the next 2 weeks.

Overall, I really try to get greens in at all my main meals which breakfast has been an adjustment. Now I'm way more satisfied and stay full longer and feel so much better. My nutritionist is trying to encourage me to get my veggies in and lower my carb intake. I haven't been doing as great for the carb portion because I haven't been as prepared with my meals lately, but I'm trying. I do what I can to limit my dairy and gluten intake, but it doesn't always happen.

I am obsessed with making a creamy ginger dressing like 2x a week. I'm going through minced ginger so much as I love it on my salads and on veggies or whatever. It adds so much more flavor. I have 2 favorite cookbooks I cook a lot of out which were recommended by my previous and my now current nutritionist.

• obrncaroline
    obrncaroline Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Sorry I have been gone, I was on vacation, then super busy back to work since I got back....
    I have had several good days since my vacation, trying to alternate low carb on the days I work and high carb on the days I am home. I follow Chris and Heidi Powell's recommendations which can be a little confusing if you are not familiar with it... basically you have carbs every breakfast (even on low carb days) and on high carb days you always have a low carb dinner. Today was a low carb day and here is what I had:

1/4 c. oatmeal cooked with 1/2c. of water in the microwave. Then I add 1 scoop of quest protein powder with 1/2c. of unsweetened vanilla almondmilk plus a banana. I have this almost every morning for breakfast because it gives me the protein to keep me full. I also have coffee, either with creamer, or half and half.

Am snack - handful of almonds and a string cheese.

Lunch - big salad with grilled chicken breast.

Pm snack - Quest protein shake made with unsweetened vanilla almondmilk.

Dinner - Sauteed peppers, onions, and chicken.

On high carb days, I add fruits, and usually rice/beans with lunch.

I find that if I add protein, I am less hungry. To me the easiest way to add protein is with quest protein powder. I love all their flavors especially when mixed with unsweetened vanilla almondmilk. I have no problem in drinking water, usually drink about 120oz per day.