Be Honest

Options
123sind
123sind Posts: 80 Member
Ok be honest, how many of you keep falling of the wagon and starting again. Well i do. I was good all week (monday to friday ) and woops the weekend came and hit me. Went out for a meal at fish and chips restaurant and today to a big fayre where i ended up with a Mcdonald before we arrived and a icecream and a big hot dog there. Think i will stay of the scales this coming week. Yep i am back to my low carbs tomorrow.

Replies

• suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    @123sind. Lifestyle changes sure can be challenging! To be honest, when I was eating SAD and tried low fat, high carb, low calorie diets, I fought hunger ALL THE TIME. It was awful. On a diet, off a diet, on a diet, off a diet (just this one time, I'll start again tomorrow, etc.) It took a tremendous amount of determination to overcome the desire to eat when out with friends (or when alone at home). It also took a lot of avoidance. Literally, I avoided social situations so I didn't have to deal with the food.

While getting into ketosis took me a while in the beginning, once there, with only a couple minor slips of a day or two to remind me what I felt like out of ketosis, I really don't need to fight the cravings. When out with friends, I order what I want off the menu that fits keto. So a side of bacon please or a sausages. Or a burger with bacon and cheese without the bun (or I just remove the bun and set it aside). If people are having pizza, I eat the topping and forego the crust.

Getting through the first couple of weeks helped set me up for further success b/c by then the cravings were pretty much gone. It's much easier to fight the mental preoccupation/challenges when the physical cravings aren't there. Plus I read everything I could about the benefits of keto. Even today, I reread books, watch a video most days, just something to keep me focused. Plus, I have some medical issues for which keto is suggested. My cardiologist told me to KEEP UP WHAT YOU ARE DOING. My neurologist told me to continue also and that grains are very inflammatory and best avoided (I have MS). So those incentives helped me, too.

Good luck with getting past those first weeks and saying goodbye to the cravings.

Qs, what are your macros set at? You might need to tweak them to find the right ratios for you. How long have you been attempting to do keto? Do you have any health issues?
  • 123sind
    Options
    Not sure about my macros, but i am doing 5% carbs 20% protine and 75% fat with a 1500 kcal. Which i am fine with, been doing low carbs for around 6 month with some off days. My weight is 169 pounds. My biggest problem is to say no and my will power dont always like me. I only got 20 pound to lose, which i am sure will come of me one day. I have lost 18 pound since started.
  • Alaplum
    Alaplum Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    i don't think I have tho recently I have a bronchial infection with laryngitis and all i had for awhile was the sugar cough drops. i have noticed a few cravings for carbs but i just don't care my throat is really hurting. Finally, got some sugar free drops now. If I've gone over my carb limit, i haven't been tracking. Too sick to care and I'll be back at it in a few days.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Why wait til tomorrow?
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Why wait til tomorrow?

I regard all carbs with total contempt. They are my enemy.

I would call your fall a mild diversion, a bend in the river. Just a hiatus. A gastronomic vacation.

Don't 'feed' yourself negative perceptions. All that does is perpetuate guilt. Just tell yourself you're perfectly capable of taking that bend, because once round it, it's all straight ahead, full steam!

Perfektion!

:love:
  • Just_Eric
    Just_Eric Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Yes. Being a fat kid recently. Braising short ribs right now so that I can get back on track this week.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Could be that @123sind is around the world somewhere and was ready to go to bed and start over at the new dawn. Tomorrow. I'm about ready for bed as I type and my friends on the west coast are just thinking about what to have for dinner.

@123sind, I started over many, many times during many years all while I was gaining 60 extra pounds. Keep on keepin' on.
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I have been so good and have stuck to the plan since Jan 1. I have lost 35 lbs and do not want to go back. So I do not cheat or slip. I don't feel deprived like I thought I would so it's easier for me.
  • 123sind
    Options
    Sunny bunny.
    i live in England and it is tomorrow now so back on the wagon.
  • urbansmamma
    urbansmamma Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I wonder if any of the foods you are eating have sugar hidden in them that you may be unaware of like bacon or sausage. I find if I accidentally eat some sugar my craving lbs go up. Also the more I go over 20 grams the more my carb cravings help. I can't have a taste of ice cream or a bite of donut because again those cravings will haunt me.
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    What gets to me is eating way, way over calories. I can eat 3,000 calories and remain keto... that's not a problem. If you find yourself wanting carbs and you're just starting out with this way of eating, I recommend:
    1) Accepting the fact that this is a lifestyle change and the first few weeks WILL be hard. You will crave carbs and it's okay to crave. It's normal.
    2) If you're trying to lose weight, hold off eating at a deficit until you're fat adapted. Focus on low carb meals and eating until satiated.
    3) Have all your meals prepped and ready to go so you know exactly what to eat and there's no excuse to eat off plan.
    4) Find recipes that incorporate your favorite meats and veggies. Love bacon? Ground beef? What about chicken wings? Go grocery shopping and stock up!