Help Needed... How to transition to not counting calories

wsandy8512
wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
edited June 2017 in Social Groups
Hey everyone, I want to try and not count calories--like I did just IFing before OMAD (I lost 11 pounds from 5 March-13 April and like when I was in London and Michigan while on OMAD. I did great while on vacation and all. I don't know why, but when I got home, I was right back to it.

I think, deep down, I am worried I won't be eating enough and hit a serious plateau that I won't recover from because going lower in calories would make me sick and not able to lose anymore weight; or eat too much and regain. I think MFP is awesome, but it's very TDEE and BMR focused and I've read a lot of things that lead me to think not counting calories would be a tragic mistake which is why I started tracking in the first place. :-/

Do you guys have any suggestions on how I can stop counting calories and get back to the freedom OMAD can really bring while losing weight? Or, did most of you count, but maybe just not make it public?

Replies

• tlblanksfit
    tlblanksfit Posts: 1,573 Member
    Joe said in his video that with using the one plate method you don't have to count calories because it is very hard to put a bunch of calories on one plate. Do you currently do the one plate method?
  • wsandy8512
    Yes (except I don't fill to full due to my fruit desserts). OMG, I was trying to find the video to remember and, for the life of me, I couldn't. I even tell people about the one plate rule for goodness sake. What is wrong with me today?! :(

Thanks, Tracey. I think even with the rule, I've made myself dependent on tracking calories and have scared the common sense right out of me, to be honest.

• x3nomorph
    x3nomorph Posts: 174 Member
    edited June 2017
    eating lower calories wont stall your weight loss, your metabolism will take a small hit because you are eating less but you will keep losing, they have done semi starvation studies in the military(special forces) calorie restriction under high stress, sleep deprivation , insane amount of extenuating exercise and the subjects keep losing weight

if you dont want to count calories use the one plate rule and when you stall, find a smaller plate to fill up haha
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    I don't count and haven't for a long time. Even when I did count, I still ate tell full even if it meant going over the daily limit (I don't even do the one plate rule and never have). It is important for me to get full for sustainability. I know most people could not get away with that though.

My thoughts are, if you are exercising, you can eat more. A danger is if you eat back more than you burn. If you burn a lot that is not likely to happen. You may have elevated levels of cortisol but even that can't stop a deficit (high levels may inhibit losses that are not energy demand based but it can't argue with a deficit).

Fill up in the evening on stuff that isn't calorie dense, salads, fruit smoothies. I did that the first several months on OMAD (21:3 for me) and ate as much as I wanted and had a desert every night and I lost 45-lbs in about 6-months. I've always been active though and I think that helps. If those things don't work, then smaller eating window and smaller plate like was mentioned.
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    edited July 2017
    I never counted calories while losing and I just had my one meal which was sometimes a plate bigger than the size Joe uses and sometimes I would have some popcorn after my meal too but I ate it all within an hour...Once I got close to my goal weight and was getting ready to transition to maintenance I started counting to just see how many calories I was eating and I discovered that it was usually between 800 and 1000 calories and I still lost weight...I think my average was 1.73 pounds a week and I was also eating low carb and that might have made a difference too but not sure :)
  • wsandy8512
    Best group ever! Thanks for all of your advice and tips. I've created my own stress over the whole thing. Time for me to "Let go and let OMAD", just like I did when I was on vacation. :D
  • jvcinv
    jvcinv Posts: 504 Member
    Rather than counting calories I've tried to develop my ability to listen to my body, and once I achieve a certain level of fullness and satiety I stop. I begin with the low caloric density part of my meal, and also use fats and animal protein for satiety. I eat slowly while trying to always remain conscious of how the sense of fullness is building. I make more food than can fit on a plate, but once I hit a certain point I take a couple more bites then it's over. So I am not in the habit of eating everything. It's something that my former self would always do, "finish what's on you plate mister" is what mom used to say. Now without hesitation I will store or toss anything leftover once I'm full.
    One of the big reasons why I think OMAD works is because you can reach a point of tremendous satisfaction after your meal. After that one glorious meal you don't feel deprived at all and can start looking forward to the next one.
  • wsandy8512
    @jvcinv, I just addressed my private FB group about my goals for this month by using that same language because it's what I practiced pre-OMAD and on OMAD while vacationing. lol So, what a coincidence! :-)
  • minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    wsandy8512 wrote: »
    Best group ever! Thanks for all of your advice and tips. I've created my own stress over the whole thing. Time for me to "Let go and let OMAD", just like I did when I was on vacation. :D
    Sounds like me - I tend to overthink stuff sometimes and it can get in the way... Sometimes simple really is the way to go (and with eating, probably so much more sustainable).
  • mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    @jvcinv, I just addressed my private FB group about my goals for this month by using that same language because it's what I practiced pre-OMAD and on OMAD while vacationing. lol So, what a coincidence! :-)

Sandy I'd love to join you Fb group! Can you send over link maybe? ☺️
  • wsandy8512

I would love to! It's a private group though so we'd need to be FB friends to invite you. I'm having trouble pMing people here at MFP unless I invite as MFP friend or arguablysamson. I've tried messaging others and get errors all the time. I'm Sandra Winn on FB if you want to add me as a friend there. Let me know. I may be making it public, but every time I think I'm ready, I see how ugly trolls can be and it makes me shy away again. Lol
  • mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member

I would love to! It's a private group though so we'd need to be FB friends to invite you. I'm having trouble pMing people here at MFP unless I invite as MFP friend or arguablysamson. I've tried messaging others and get errors all the time. I'm Sandra Winn on FB if you want to add me as a friend there. Let me know. I may be making it public, but every time I think I'm ready, I see how ugly trolls can be and it makes me shy away again. Lol

DEAL! I'll find you on there when I get out of work :):):)