Success: 23.2 lbs gone in 10 weeks!

Options
Seajolly
Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
I just wanted to share my excitement with you guys, and also hopefully provide some motivation to others who are seeing slow progress on the scale or are just starting out and not knowing if this WOE is going to work for them.

I started this journey 10 weeks ago in late April. At that time I weighed 198.6 lbs. Bigger than I've ever been in my life and no sign of the weight gain slowing down! I somehow discovered low carb/keto and decided to give it a try, even though the concept seemed odd and unnatural to me, especially since I wasn't previously a big meat eater.

I lost about 10 pounds in my first week, and was amazed! The weight fell off effortlessly, all the while I felt like I was gorging myself on food (eggs, meat especially cheese burgers, cheese, veggies, and protein shakes). I felt so full and satisfied and it was freeing to be able to eat those foods in that quantity and be losing like that!

After the first week, the weight loss on the scale slowed down dramatically. The next 13.2 lbs that I've lost came off very slowly in the following 9 weeks and without rhyme or reason really. I still don't really have a handle on what causes me to lose certain weeks and seemingly stay the same other weeks, and I guess that is what can be discouraging to some people who don't understand why they are 'stuck'. But throughout this whole process what has really kept me going, especially through the weeks where I seemed to stay the same and not lose, was that I just felt so great in my body for the first time in a few years! My energy is great, my body confidence is great, my clothes fit looser and I've gone down a couple of pants sizes. I started in the high 190's and I'm now in the mid-170's. I still have a ways to go, but I have faith in this lifestyle.

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Yippee!!! I'm sure you've just motivated many to continue on! Congratulations on your persistence!
  • Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    W00T!
  • kyubeans
    kyubeans Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your post! I lost the first ten pounds very quickly in the first two weeks, and now I'm in week five, still struggling over the same five pound loss. It helps to hear your account and know that if I just stick to it, it'll keep working.

Congrats!
  • 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You're sticking to it even when things slowed down for your results. I started this past June...in with a bang, dropped my water, then plateaued due to my 'LNS' very old bad habit returning. LNS=late night snacking.
    This week I see I'm losing weight and that's because I'm working very hard at not eating or drinking after dinner.
    Holiday week doesn't help either, and more family fun this weekend so I need to have fun but not over do it.
  • 123sind
    123sind Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Well done :) , keep it up. I still need the latest 20 pound of, i sm sure with the help here and in my home front i can do it.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! Congratulations!
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    High five!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    You've done amazingly well! Congrats!
    The only thing I'd add is that 23 pounds in 10 weeks is faaaaaaaaar from slow loss. That's over 2 pounds a week! The less you have to lose, the slower and more aware of total intake you need to be. It becomes excruciatingly slow at some point. Like maybe a half pound a month kind of stuff! Definitely keep this great perspective as you draw closer and closer to whatever your final goal is.
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Well said. We need to remember that this is much more than weight loss. It's better health and so much more. Congratulations! :)
  • motorcyclekopp
    motorcyclekopp Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Great to hear!! Congratulations!!
  • allunits
    allunits Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi!! We're almost twins but I am a little behind you: started around the same weight, am now at 179-181, in about 70 days. I'm going to send you a message to connect.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Awesome self commitment!!
  • MissMaggieElizabeth
    MissMaggieElizabeth Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. You are doing amazing and to hang in there when the scale does not seem to budge is so rewarding because eventually it happens. What you described was the same for me only I was even slower to lose the first 10 pounds. Over the 1 1/2 years I averaged 5 pounds a month which seems so painfully slow but eventually it added up to 80 pounds gone. Then another 10 during a really stressful time for me. For me I recorded my weight only on the days it dropped and tried not to be too discouraged if it did not drop in a week. because I knew it was going to. Just have to trust the process. I am so happy for you enjoying your new energetic body. I think it is what I also enjoy the most.The energy is so amazing.
  • CraftHer
    CraftHer Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Good for you! You're doing great.
  • CrispyStars3
    CrispyStars3 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! :)
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    You've done amazingly well! Congrats!
    The only thing I'd add is that 23 pounds in 10 weeks is faaaaaaaaar from slow loss. That's over 2 pounds a week! The less you have to lose, the slower and more aware of total intake you need to be. It becomes excruciatingly slow at some point. Like maybe a half pound a month kind of stuff! Definitely keep this great perspective as you draw closer and closer to whatever your final goal is.

Yes that's true, I just meant that some weeks I wasn't losing an ounce. But the weight seemed to fall off 2-4 lbs at a time when I was losing. But some weeks I was just like "What is going on? I should be losing!". Haha. Though in the end it was totally worth it. 24.4 lbs down, 30-35 to go!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    Seajolly, you have had wonderful results. You might find using an app that shows your weight trend to be helpful. Weight loss isn't linear, but it can help to see a trendline. I use the granddaddy of them all Trendweight.com, it is only on the pc AFAIK, but I know others use some apps on their various models of cell phones. I know the trendline kept me going when I would stall out for a while.

And I hear you on all the great foods you can have, focus on those instead of things you shouldn't be eating this way. We really have a decadent WOE.

All the best on your Journey.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    That's wonderful. I'm struggling about what to eat. What exactly are you eating, if you don't mind me asking?