Squeezing in a workout

Options
meganw1
meganw1 Posts: 8 Member
Hi all! I'm new to this group and excited to meet other people with similar goals and situations :smile: . Quick question for you: How do you fit your workouts in when your schedule is super tight?? I'm sure some of you have kids and jobs and others that are just really busy apart from staying fit. I have to prioritize sleeping (I try for 7 hours/night but am averaging about 6 during the week) sometimes instead of working out, although both really make me feel better and would help me reach my weight goals. Do you have any tips of how to fit a quick cardio or weight sesh in??? Thanks in advance!! <3

Replies

• JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Same. I prioritize sleep as much as working out, because without one, I can't do the other very well. Getting up and doing early morning workouts has just never worked well for me.

For me, the best way to make this work has been to join a gym right by my office. I'm lucky - I work in a downtown area and the gym I go to is a 5-minute walk from my building. I can get over there, take a 40-minute kickboxing class or run or lift weights or whatever, shower, and dash back to work, and I can often do that in an hour. On kickboxing day, it's about an hour fifteen, but still not too bad. I eat lunch at my desk. This is working for me - I get there 3 or 4 days a week, it doesn't interfere with sleep time or kid time or husband time.
  • 2tall4thisworld
    2tall4thisworld Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I couldn't agree more with @JeepHair77 ! I'm really lucky to have a fitness center inside of my office building. My lunches 4 out 5 days a week are spent in that fitness center. I also eat at my desk. I think if we didn't have a fitness center, I would probably run/jog around the building on my lunches. I've also recently taken up walking places when possible. If there is a grocery store 2 miles away, I will walk there on the weekends or after work. If I have an hour or two, I try to find a place to walk to. Just adding in that little bit of cardio a week has made a huge difference. It also helps to have a friend to walk with, but if not there are always podcasts!
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Being with my kids takes priority so I usually plan my workout schedule around them. I work from home 2 days a week so workout in my home gym during lunch on those days but otherwise I workout after I put the kiddos to bed. I invested in a home gym so I can workout even on the nights my husband is off running errands or working. I purchased all my weight equipment (full rack, olympic bar, bench, plates, etc) from craigslist and got a treadmill from Sears outlet for a discounted price. I did treat myself to new adjustable dumbbells for my bday one year but they were sooo worth it. Also take a yoga class @ work during lunch and hubby watches the kiddos the 1 night or occasional Saturday morning I attend a yoga class near my house.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I have 30 minute workout DVDs that kick my butt with circuit training and cardio intervals. I just commit to 30 minutes (really 20-25 of hard work) in my basement if I won't be making it to the gym or for a longer run.

My toddler is up early and he plays with my yoga blocks and balls for those 30 minutes. I can work out in shorts and any old bra because I'm home, and from there it's a fast transition to getting ready for work.
  • jfp420
    jfp420 Posts: 186 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I work full time, have 2 children and find that if I don't wake up early and get exercise out of the way things pop up later that sidetrack me. But it's so hard for me to get moving at 5:30 AM ! 25-30 minute workouts are my friends (Beachbody T25 is one of my favorites) ! On weekends my husband keeps them busy so that I can also take a yoga class and have a long run.
  • Tryingtogetfitdeb
    Tryingtogetfitdeb Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I also work almost full time, have a 5 year old and 3 year old. I work out on an evening once they've gone to bed, sometimes me and my husband do a workout together other times I do it on my own while he goes for a run. My routines are usually 40 minutes at the most.
  • MeadowRae
    MeadowRae Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I work full time and have a 16 month old. I work from home most days, so that really helps. I squeeze a run in before work some days. Other days I will cross train with bodyweight exercises on my lunch break. I have an exercise ball, adjustable dumbbells, resistance bands, and a pull up bar that I can use.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    It's all about the squeeze-in time !!! That means a healthy, active lifestyle !!!
  • veronikamellon
    veronikamellon Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I work full time and also attend a college. I don't have children, only in-laws that really like online gaming, so that takes most evenings. Don't laugh, but that's how we stay in touch. Anyway, they know I log out between 9.00 and 9.30 to exercise. That's just what happens. Trying to keep it under 40 minutes, otherwise I get bored.
  • pacingoamy
    pacingoamy Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have to double book myself. So, when my kid goes to soccer ... I walk around the field during that time. When my other kid does tae kwon do, I get to a nearby park to jog. Before church and the kids get up on Sundays, I get up at the crack of dawn to run 5 miles. After work, my (older) kids know that I am taking about an hour to exercise before coming home. At work, my fitbit buzzes me every 2 hours to remind me to move and I try to get 1000 steps (I work a 10 hour day most days) If I get a lunch, I walk another 2000 with the ultimate being getting in 10k during a workday.

It's not always easy and I am constantly toting around a workout bag full of EVERYTHING, but I allow myself to be flexible. If I look out for opportunities, I often find them. On the days I can't (like today), I roll with it and try to plan eating better.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    pacingoamy wrote: »
    I have to double book myself. So, when my kid goes to soccer ... I walk around the field during that time. When my other kid does tae kwon do, I get to a nearby park to jog. Before church and the kids get up on Sundays, I get up at the crack of dawn to run 5 miles. After work, my (older) kids know that I am taking about an hour to exercise before coming home. At work, my fitbit buzzes me every 2 hours to remind me to move and I try to get 1000 steps (I work a 10 hour day most days) If I get a lunch, I walk another 2000 with the ultimate being getting in 10k during a workday.

It's not always easy and I am constantly toting around a workout bag full of EVERYTHING, but I allow myself to be flexible. If I look out for opportunities, I often find them. On the days I can't (like today), I roll with it and try to plan eating better.

Oh, this is smart. I used to do this, too. My daughter played volleyball at the Y, so I'd drop her off at practice and then go for a run from the Y. I'd get back, get some water and cool off in the parking lot, and then get back in the building just in time to watch the last few minutes of practice (which is the most fun part to watch, anyway) from the doorway where I didn't have to talk to any of the other parents. Heh.