Protein and Collagen? Recipes?

Options
CommanderEmily
CommanderEmily Posts: 68 Member
So I saw a lot of low carbers raving about isopure (creamy vanilla usually) and collagen peptides. Eager to try it out aince the labela read as awesome I bought some. But now I am at a loss for how to prepare it. First time I blended the protein powder with ice and cold coffee. Was okay but it separated fast enough. Next I tried it in hot. Was alright, nothing to write home about. My collagen powder arrived yesterday so I added that but its lumpy and everything floats to the top. My old way of having a proteinshake for breakfast was chocolate protein powder, pb2, a banana, and whatever form of milk almond/soy/regular/carbmaster. I feel like I'm not sure how to use it now that I'm counting carbs instead of only calories.
Anyone use these? What way do you like to use them?

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Bumping for replies. No help here though. No experience in that category.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Bumping again. I only make protein shakes for my son and it's Primal Kitchen and I just mix with milk for him and don't have any of what you're describing happen.
    I don't think we have a whole lot of protein powder users maybe???
    People seem to be either scared of "too much" protein or stick to meat sources mainly from what I feel like I see
  • cawood2
    cawood2 Posts: 177 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I don't use isopure, I have a vanilla Kaizen whey powder. I mix it with almond milk (unsweetened) in a shaker cup. I found with just water or almond milk it separated out quickly, but adding an ounce or two of heavy cream helped that a lot. I will sometimes add some cocoa or instant coffee granules to make a mocha. I will also add ground flax seed sometimes. I use them to get my protein up if I'm doing IF or if I am low on protein for the day. I do have to shake it up to mix if I don't drink it right away, but the cream helps a lot with that. Doesn't need too much... I usually add 2-4 tbsp when I start with 12 oz of almond milk. Not sure if that was what you were looking for.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Most protein isolates don't play well with cold water (let alone ice). I've had my best results by mixing warm (not hot, it'll curdle) then putting in the fridge or freezer. You can make it work cold, but I always needed to use an immersion blender to avoid chunks.
  • CommanderEmily
    Options
    Thanks, I appreciate both your advice. Both times were temperature extremes, so that makes sense. I'll try those out. My version of low carb has a protein focus, and I was having a hard time meeting my goal without getting too much fat, so this was my way of helping meet that goal as well as a nice healthy boost by adding collagen. I just couldn't figure out if I am making it wrong. I'll try a less extreme temp, and blend it better.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I appreciate both your advice. Both times were temperature extremes, so that makes sense. I'll try those out. My version of low carb has a protein focus, and I was having a hard time meeting my goal without getting too much fat, so this was my way of helping meet that goal as well as a nice healthy boost by adding collagen. I just couldn't figure out if I am making it wrong. I'll try a less extreme temp, and blend it better.

I hope it works out better for you going forward.
    I watch the fat and focus on protein also. I've had to eat more chicken and seafood to really get protein up while also not overeating fat and keeping calories lower.
    I'm working on a week of really focusing on lean protein because I am determined to have a good fat loss week!
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I've seen mixed reviews on the use of collagen, and that - apparently - there are no studies that show it actually has any benefits as an added supplement...
    Can anyone give an opinion? I'd rather hear from those who have used it and have seen definite beneficial effects first-hand, than rely on "clinical data" and 'studies show'....
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    I've seen mixed reviews on the use of collagen, and that - apparently - there are no studies that show it actually has any benefits as an added supplement...
    Can anyone give an opinion? I'd rather hear from those who have used it and have seen definite beneficial effects first-hand, than rely on "clinical data" and 'studies show'....

My n=1 on collagen:
    I started losing weight in June of 2014. I had around 100lb to lose. There was much loose skin. It had pulled in but not a lot. I began taking collagen daily about a year ago. I don't know whether or not my body is finally getting the "clean-up" done or the collagen is making it better, but since I started taking it, the glacial-pace of the pulling in has sped up to a lethargic snail. Even the dreaded turkey-waddle on the neck. A change enough for pessimistic me to notice. Still slow AF, but improvement is noticeable over 3 months time. Plus, I started dry brushing the offending areas in the last 1.5 months. I believe the combination of the 3 is what's helping.

• Gallowmere1984
    edited July 2017
    Options

Minor but odd thing that I noticed after supplementing collagen (types I, II and III): I used to have nasty cracking skin on all of my fingers, and just assumed that it was from heavy deadlifts and chalk. However, after three weeks of collagen, only one finger on each hand still has it, and those spots are nearly gone as well. My joint discomfort from heavy deads amd squats, and 45 miles of cycling per week are almost gone as well. YMMV.
  • LizinLowell
    LizinLowell Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    My collagen experience is I have a collagen production disorder (joint hypermobility syndrome) and adding 2 tbs of collagen daily to my diet healed a knee in 2 weeks that had been painful for over a year. I had done chiropractic, acupuncture, and massage on that knee with no results. 2 weeks of collagen (Great lakes gelatin made into jello, or the hydrolysate mixed in with my tea or coffee) and the knee pain was gone, never to return!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    My collagen experience is I have a collagen production disorder (joint hypermobility syndrome) and adding 2 tbs of collagen daily to my diet healed a knee in 2 weeks that had been painful for over a year. I had done chiropractic, acupuncture, and massage on that knee with no results. 2 weeks of collagen (Great lakes gelatin made into jello, or the hydrolysate mixed in with my tea or coffee) and the knee pain was gone, never to return!

This reminds me, I also eat a whole package if Walmart brand sugar free Jello every day. Why? Because it's 20-30 kcals, cheap as hell (36 cents per box) and I have discovered that I really like Jello for some damned reason. The raspberry and strawberry in particular are pretty good.
  • sherryrichie
    sherryrichie Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I started blending a TBS of collagen peptides in my morning bulletproof coffee in May. Within the first week I noticed joint and muscle pain had lessened. Two of my children started supplementing with it when they were training for a 15 mile race, and they both swear by the difference it made in post exercise soreness. I worry about the added protein, but feel better when taking it.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options

Great info! Is this Ehlers-Danlos type JHS?
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options

This reminds me, I also eat a whole package if Walmart brand sugar free Jello every day. Why? Because it's 20-30 kcals, cheap as hell (36 cents per box) and I have discovered that I really like Jello for some damned reason. The raspberry and strawberry in particular are pretty good.

LOL. I'm the same. Not quite every day but I do make it in pints and always have it in my refrigerator. I posted elsewhere the other day that I'd rather eat a few calories and some aspertame than a few thousand calories of my previous "crutch". Not saying it is a crutch for you, just saying it has been an excellent substitution for me in those moments I stand at the refrigerator with one hand on the freezer door for ice cream and one hand on the refrigerator door for SF Jello. The SF Jello hand gets the "win" now but there were many days it did not. It is cold and has a fun texture. My favorites are raspberry and cherry. :)
  • CommanderEmily
    Options
    This definitely encourages me to find a way to wiggle it into my diet. I didnt think about a lot of the benefits people have named here. I mostly liked that it added protein and my current vitamin plan lacked amino acids like it has.
    I currently have the unflavored version from Sports Research, as it was the best selling one on amazon.

I heard mention of using it in bulletproof coffee? Never made that before, would love the recipe you use.
  • LizinLowell
    LizinLowell Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    @RalfLott I'm self diagnosed but from what I've read it's similar but not as intense as EDS, fewer complications. I had become almost incapacitated last summer with stiffness & soreness. Since researching I started a protocol with gelatin, MSM, hyaluronic acid, fat soluble vit C, and other minerals & vitamins. I completely regained my mobility & stamina & only suffer occasional flares.
  • EllaLeahB
    EllaLeahB Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I put my collagen peptides in my coffee. I only use one scoop, a serving of the one I have is 2.