Bone broth

Options
mtague7733
mtague7733 Posts: 33 Member
Anyone know the best bone broth that is organic and full fat for Keto?

Replies

• Captaincove
    Captaincove Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Most of the commercial bone broth that I have seen, do not list fat in their nutrition information. You might want to order bones from a local farmer and make your own and do not skim the fat off. https://thrivemarket.com/kettle-fire-beef-bone-broth.
  • mtague7733
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Cryren8972
    Cryren8972 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I have a farmer's market near me every Wednesday. There is a lady there that sells grass fed bones...I get a whole bag for $2.00! I just make my own! Make sure you roast the bones first for flavor, and then put them in a crockpot, add vinegar and cover with water. Then cook for DAYS! I use it plain, or in green beans, or soups, or stewed beef...etc. Anywhere I would use stock.
    I also reuse the bones after the first batch. The first batch is rich with gelatin, the second batch is great for making a stock.
    I freeze carrot tops, celery "bottoms", onion scraps....and then add them to the stock. It has a rich flavor, but little gelatin.
    The gelatin broth is great to sip first thing in the morning.
    I KNOW this was all over the place, but I hope it helped.
  • mtague7733
    Options
    Thank you!!!!!
  • Teresamaria860
    Teresamaria860 Posts: 4 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I make a Salmon fish bone broth from salmon heads. I have a 7 quart crock pot. I buy maybe 2 salmon heads from a fish market. I have them chop up the head to gain access to the brain which is rich in Omega 3 fats.
    I lightly steam the heads. Then I will let the head cool so that I can remove the pink salmon flesh. The flesh I will later mix with some salmon fat from the pot to make a salmon pate.
    Going back to the heads. I put the head pieces in a crock pot add sea salt, a bit of Kelp for Iodine, some celery and parsley. I also set aside egg shells as I eat them. I will add whatever egg shells I have to the pot. The eggshells supply a very bioavailble form of calcium and type 4 collagen.
    I set the crock pot on low and let it simmer for 2-3 days. I am looking for a rich color and salmon aroma. Once done I store the broth in ball jars in my refrigerator.
    Then I enjoy. Its so good I make this twice a month.
  • HestiaMoon1
    HestiaMoon1 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Putting vegetable scraps in helps flavor a lot, but can make it cloudy and unappealing. If you can, put it on the stove first in a big pot, get it up to a boil, and then skim off the grayish bubbly scum that forms. Then add 1 cup ice cold water and go to a long low simmer either on stove or in slow cooker.