New to this group + a question

Options
Hi! I'm Tif and I'm on day 20 of low carbing it. I've been lurking in here and on the Reddit keto thread and have been learning so much! Thank you for sharing your journeys, it's really encouraging to hear that other people have gone through similar things and had similar questions!

I do have one question- last night I poured myself two jiggers of whiskey and finished most but not all of it. I was well hydrated and I had eaten beforehand. Then afterwards I drank another 50+oz of water and ate a little more. Basically all the things I would do before I was doing low carb to make sure that I didn't wake up feeling gross the next day.

Oh my gosh. I feel like death today. My stomach is in pain, I feel nauseous, I have a huge headache, and the only thing that I even feel like I can keep down right now is tea.

Why would this be happening? I love having a little nightcap every now and then so I'm totally bummed out right now.

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    was all that water salty?
  • PrincessFancyPants
    PrincessFancyPants Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

I did have a couple of Powerade zeros and some smart water and all of my mineral supplements that day
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    When you consume a ton of water without supplementing sodium, it never ends well for Low Carbers. I'm sure the veterans will chime in shortly.

I add 5 to 7 grams of salt to each of my forty ounce water bottles, of which I drink three or four a day. Otherwise I crash and crash hard.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    Was it the gluten in the whiskey that bothered you? I know I can only have one drink now before I feel all dizzy :) but it doesn't affect my stomach.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Also, generally your alcohol tolerance is cut dramatically. Try using half or less than half of your previous amount, and see if that makes a difference.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    You didn't need water as much as you neeed sodium.
    After every drink I have a small, maybe 4oz water with enough salt to taste it.
    Then I'll swallow about half a teaspoon of sea salt crystals like a pill before bed.
    I only drink to thirst. But I get that sodium in!
    If you drink a lot of water without sodium, much more than you could ever get in a Powerade, or 10!, you just flush even sodium out.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

I did have a couple of Powerade zeros and some smart water and all of my mineral supplements that day

Powerade really only has a pittance of electrolytes. You could drink 3-32oz bottles and still be low for the day. That would only be 1440mg.

Keto requires a minimum of 3000 to 5000 mg of sodium every day. Powerade is 15mg per fl oz. Smart Water has no sodium. Sodium is the body's keeper. It preserves the others. If you are low, it will leach out mag and potassium as it goes. Ketosis sheds water, which sheds sodium. So in order to replenish what your body spills, you have to keep sodium topped up.

Alcohol dehydrates. And it unbalances electrolytes as a result. Next time, spike your post booze drinks with more sodium and keep your sodium levels level throughout the day. It takes effort, but should help you avoid unpleasantness.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I find I am now more sensitive to toxic items that I consume as well on this WOE.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    If I drink alcohol I also drink Bouillon as I know I will need the extra sodium.