VSG Surgery Yesterday

Options
gamommy
gamommy Posts: 131 Member
I had my surgery yesterday morning. I'm in the hospital now waiting for my swallow study.

I did so much research before, but experienced something I hadn't read about and that was hunger. Yesterday the gas & acid in my stomach made me feel like ravenous. It was so odd. I was worried. I don't feel like that this morning now that the gas has moved.

Would love some friends to chat with about this experience who had surgery around me. 7/10/17

Replies

• fit_chickx
    fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your surgery. I hope you recover quickly. All of us experience this process a bit differently. Rest up. So many more experiences to have as you progress.
  • gamommy
    Options
    Thanks. I've been doing as many laps around the floor as I can. My pain has been pretty manageable with non-narcotics. I had my swallow study, just waiting on results. Barium is awful. They said I can shower today which makes me feel good.
  • Mandy_1982
    Mandy_1982 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Congrats. The hardest part is just getting to surgery. Everything else is as easy as you make it.

I was hungry from day 1 after surgery. I'm 7 weeks out and still feel hungry. This is something I wasn't expecting as I was told surgery would help with hunger. I'm just trying to eat more proteins to help curb that.

Good luck to you. Lots of walking and rest is what you need right now. A year from now you'll be a totally different person.
  • professor700
    professor700 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hey gamommy,
    I had my surgery done with Christopher Hart at Atlanta Bariatrics. I am over 4 months post op.
    The first week I WAS RAVENOUS!
    so ravenous in fact, that it scared me!
    All I could do was fantisize about all you can eat sushi. But the acid rumbling up like that was the WORST HUNGER PANGS EVER!
    It did scare me because I was afraid it wouldn't change. But, then around 10 days out my hunger (anD the acid surges) stopped. My hunger died almost abruptly. Hang in there!
  • gamommy
    Options
    I'm home today. I did too much yesterday... Walked 3.4 miles in the hospital. But walking felt better than sitting which is why I did so much. Unfortunately I feel it today.

I had a small bit of hunger last night before dinner, but the feelings I had of hunger on surgery day are completely gone.

I'm working on my first protein shake now. I can definitely tell it's heavier going down.

When did you post-op folks start your vitamins? Not sure if I should start today or tomorrow.
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I was hungry after having bypass! My surgeon couldn't believe I was serious. It does subside, mine wasn't gas I just think I needed something outside of ice chips and crystal light. Believe me, this will pass. I think maybe if you can get clear broth maybe that will help!

@gamommy and @professor700 - where exactly are you both located? I am in Waxhaw, NC - maybe we can try and coordinate meeting up at a point that's halfway for all of us?
  • professor700
    Options
    I'm about 30 minutes north Atlanta in Kennesaw Ga...Waxhaw is about 4.5 hours.....
  • MrsCarrieRobinson
    MrsCarrieRobinson Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    gamommy wrote: »
    I'm home today. I did too much yesterday... Walked 3.4 miles in the hospital. But walking felt better than sitting which is why I did so much. Unfortunately I feel it today.

I had a small bit of hunger last night before dinner, but the feelings I had of hunger on surgery day are completely gone.

I'm working on my first protein shake now. I can definitely tell it's heavier going down.

When did you post-op folks start your vitamins? Not sure if I should start today or tomorrow.

• MrsCarrieRobinson
    MrsCarrieRobinson Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I started vitamins 2 weeks after surgery
  • gamommy
    Options
    I'm about 30 minutes north Atlanta in Kennesaw Ga...Waxhaw is about 4.5 hours.....

My parents live in Acworth. They're here helping me out during this recovery period though. Funny!
  • gamommy
    Options
    jcavanna2 wrote: »
    Congrats! I was hungry after having bypass! My surgeon couldn't believe I was serious. It does subside, mine wasn't gas I just think I needed something outside of ice chips and crystal light. Believe me, this will pass. I think maybe if you can get clear broth maybe that will help!

@gamommy and @professor700 - where exactly are you both located? I am in Waxhaw, NC - maybe we can try and coordinate meeting up at a point that's halfway for all of us?

We've talked about this before in PM I think, but I'm in Greer SC about 45 minutes from Asheville.
  • professor700
    Options
    Well you guys are too far from me....:(
    Gamommy I hope you are feeling great!
  • clcmfp
    clcmfp Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I started vitamins at 3 weeks. Up until then, I was on 3 protein shakes a day and those were fortified with vitamins, so I was told to start them when I started to introduce food again.
  • crypsyx
    crypsyx Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    i introduced the vitamins when i went back to foods. up until then the shakes were enough with the vitamins.