Not losing weight on keto yet, help!

Options
ESinc1118
ESinc1118 Posts: 19 Member
edited May 2017 in Social Groups
I've been doing keto for about 3 months now, feeling great but not losing any weight and gaining a little. I've been keeping my carbs under 30g/day, fats at about 70% - 80% of my calories, protein about 20ish %. I'm also watching my sodium intake (<1500mg/day), drinking a ton of water, and averaging about 1200ish cals per day. Until this week I haven't been exercising, but I'm adding that in now. I'm 5'4" and about 135 lbs. Any insight into what I'm doing wrong? Feel free to add me to see my diary if that helps. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• trying2day
    trying2day Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    @essinc1118 hi! I have only been doing Keto for about 3 1/2 months. Down 25lbs. I know there are lots of variations of the Keto diet. I follow the suggestion of Dr Westmon & Dr Phinny's. I try to stick to under 20 carbs. I also try to get 5grams of sodium in a day. A Keto diet flushs your electrolytes constantly. I have stalled a bit and I always look at backing off the cheese, or maybe too much protein. I try to only eat when I'm hungry, and stop when I'm full. I don't do any strenuous workouts, so I don't know much about that aspect of it. Don't give up, it will happen. Also take your measurements, a lot of people lose inches before weight.
  • ESinc1118
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @trying2day , did you mean to type 5,000 mg/5g of sodium? I saw in the post that @g_topham posted (thank you, btw!) it references upping your sodium intake...I actually had thought I was supposed to be avoiding sodium? I'd read that on low carb, over 1500 mg/day could make you retain water and gain, was that way off? I'm also usually under 30 g net carbs...

• trying2day
    Options
    @ESinc1118 No typo, 5grams / 5mg daily is what I try to get in. Every time you urinate / sweat you are losing those important electrolyte on a Keto Diet. If I don't get it in I have leg cramps at night. Also I'm not up for much physical activity if I don't get it in. I also take 500mg magnesium citrate before I go to bed and try to get 1000mg of Potassium in through food (avocado, leafy greens). Electrolytes are so important while on Keto!
  • trying2day
    Options
    @ESinc1118 Forgot to mention above I do total carbs, not net carbs. There is a lot of controversy over that so I stick to under 20 total carbs.
  • ESinc1118
    Options
    Thanks @trying2day, I'll try to get myself under 20 total carbs just to be safe. I've been taking magnesium, and I'm going to add a potassium supplement as well. Do you test for ketosis at all? I've done the urine tests (which are all over the place) and last week got a blood ketone tester. I've tested 3 times over the past week (all while under 30 net carbs/day) and the closest I've come to ketosis is 0.4 mmol/L, so I'm pretty frustrated.
  • joanie152
    joanie152 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    trying2day wrote: »
    @ESinc1118 No typo, 5grams / 5mg daily is what I try to get in. Every time you urinate / sweat you are losing those important electrolyte on a Keto Diet. If I don't get it in I have leg cramps at night. Also I'm not up for much physical activity if I don't get it in. I also take 500mg magnesium citrate before I go to bed and try to get 1000mg of Potassium in through food (avocado, leafy greens). Electrolytes are so important while on Keto!

Wow - I have been having leg cramps and wondering why.. Now i know. How do you go about upping your sodium? Can you recommend any products? Thank you!
  • ashleyjoe11
    ashleyjoe11 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    @joanie152 My doctor just put me on an extremely low carb diet. He recommends me to drink chicken or beef broth once or twice a day to help get my sodium up. He says it helps with energy levels too because it will regenerate my electrolytes. He recommended for me to put a bullion cube in hot water and stir it to get it to dissolve, then drink. It really does help my energy levels. When I first started, I did it almost every day because I was low on energy, but now I only do it every now and then. I have also found that I enjoy making up my favorite flavor of Chrystal light and adding salt to that! Taste a lot like Gatorade, but without the sugar.
  • tamikappes
    tamikappes Posts: 9 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Leg cramps indicate low magnesium. Try an epsom salt bath. (1 cup in your water and soak for 30 minutes) or a slow release magnesium tablet. Magnesium can cause diarrhea if you take a once a day tablet, so the epsom salt bath or slow release tablet are best. Tree Hut makes scented Epsom salts. They are fabulous:)

If you are keto adapted and tired it indicates dehydration. Broths can add plenty of salt and drink plenty of water. Also, avacado is high in potassium.
  • CrazyCarbContessa
    CrazyCarbContessa Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am on KETO too! I fell off the wagon last week but am starting again tomorrow! I am aiming for the 75% fat, 20% protein and 5% fat ratios. Although the first week I have to slowly drop the carbs from about 15% down to 5% over 7 days because I am Hypoglycemic and my body can't do the cold turkey drop in carbs. I did have a stall for 2 weeks but then the weight started coming off again. I eat a lot of canned and frozen greens because they are quick to prepare and super low in carbs. These are my usual daily foods:
    Breakfast:2 Eggs fried in bacon grease, 2 slices of bacon, 1/2 avocado, 1/4 cup mashed sweet potato with butter
    Lunch: 1- 5 oz can of tuna, 1 Tbs Mayo, mustard, sugar-free sweet relish, 1/2 avocado, .5 oz bbq pork rinds, 1/2 cup of green veggies
    Dinner: 3 oz of meat cooked in bacon grease with onions and peppers (season to taste), 1 cup green veggies, sliced tomato with drizzle of ranch.
    Snacks: (between meals, as dessert and as calories & macros allow) 1 oz of cheese, 3-5 whole walnuts, 10 almonds, deli lunch meat, boiled egg, pickles, 1Tbs PB, Breyers Carb Smart Chocolate Almond Vanilla ice cream bar, Russel Stovers Sugar-Free Pecan Chocolate Caramel Delights, sugar-free jello, sugar-free mints, sugar-free gum.
    List of green veggies I eat frozen, fresh or canned: okra, broccoli, green beans, zucchini, collard greens, spinach, celery, lettuce, edamame, cucumbers, bell peppers, cilantro, Brussels sprouts, snow peas.
    Other low carb veggies: Tomatoes, mushrooms, cauliflower (great rice, mashed potato substitute), spaghetti squash

I hope this helps...it's always good to see what other people eat.
    Good luck and feel free to message me anytime!

Monique