Ladies, did Keto affect your menstrual cycle?

Options
corgarian
corgarian Posts: 366 Member
I used to get the birth control shot and then almost 3 years ago I switched to the implant. I haven't had a period in 4 years at LEAST.

I started Keto 4 weeks ago and have had 2 full, 5 day periods in that time frame. I have an appointment to see my OBGYN in August, but I would like to hear other experiences.

Replies

• AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I honestly can't say I've noticed anything significant; I have begun my menopause, but I still get monthly cravings and mood swings... However, I can't really tell if they're an effect from keto, or simply a part of the rich tapestry of Life and being a woman.....
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Keto and weightloss both affect hormone levels. The degree to which that occurs varies. Most women have some cycle disruption. Usually after the 3rd cycle, things start to even out. That was my experience as well.

Hopefully yours will level out sooner. That sounds yucky.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    It essentially hit the rewind button for me by about a decade... It levels out after a few months, but yes...burning fat releases estrogen...and can make things wonky.
  • corgarian
    Options
    Good to hear. After not having to deal with a cycle for 4+ years to getting 2 in under a month I was pretty freaked out.

It's completely put a halt on weight loss, nothing in 3 weeks. But my body FEELS smaller so I'm holding out hope.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    When I first started I got my TOM about a week afterward. 2 weeks early. The next couple of months it was off and then it got really regular for awhile. Now it seems to alternate between arriving at 3 or 4 weeks. Not sure why but that could be age related hormonal changes or a result of weight loss. Sometimes I eat a treat or two off plan so maybe it's from going in and out of ketosis.
  • corgarian
    Options
    I've been reading some articles that make sense if I believe the science behind keto (not saying I dont just not fully sure i do yet either.)
    Since my body is using it's fat stores for energy, the hormones trapped in my fat are getting released into my body and it's throwing things out of whack.
  • kdz0444
    kdz0444 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Yep I'm on the implant as well. Didn't have a period the whole first 2 years and when I started low carb I started getting them on and off. Sometimes it's 2 a month and sometimes it's none. Mine haven't leveled out but I don't worry about it too much I just track when I do get them and always have some products on hand.
  • corgarian
    Options
    Just started period number 3 in 29 days
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    UGH! well that sucks. :disappointed: