starting over again and again and again

Options
faithful0609
faithful0609 Posts: 17 Member
So here I am AGAIN starting over. I'm a professional dieter - and know that my problem is commitment. That's the hardest thing I need to work on - I know what to do, but have to simply do it. Is there anyone else out there that struggles with this? My thyroid disease hinders me from losing weight but I have to stop using that as my only excuse. I know what I should cut out - I exercise daily, seems like I never sit down, yet I'm stuck. I flip flop within the same 5-10 pounds - yesterday I was 227...today the scale says 231. Egads - how can you gain 4 pounds in 1 day? so frustrated but got off the scale and said "stop fooling yourself - you know what you do wrong". so I'm signed back on - ate a healthy breakfast and starting all over.

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Are you familiar with the Pareto Principle? This states that 80% of the effects are caused by 20% of the causes, so in every problem you focus 80% of your effort on the 20% that matters. In weight management this is your caloric intake and exercise output.

Hypothyroidism impacts your Resting Energy Expenditure by ~5% from clinical observations. So that means 80 kcals/day if your budget is at 1600 kcals/day.

What you're experiencing is water weight fluctuations. Speaking for myself my weight fluctuates ~5 lbs throughout the day and I drink ~96 oz water/day.

Success in the long term lies with small changes leading to big results over time. Write down 5 "bad" behaviors you want to change and prioritize these by impact. Don't write down anything temporary or that you can't see yourself doing for the rest of your life. Scratch off items 2-5 and focus on #1 - replace this bad behavior with a good behavior. Once this has become habit repeat this exercise.

• strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I'm exactly the same. Was here 2012 managing to get to about 180lbs, now back up to 250!
    I think I lost heart for about a year, but I'm back too! I'm also trialling thyroid-s to see if that helps from the generic levothyroxine rubbish that is all the UK offers.

Right peeps, lets try :smiley:
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I'm exactly the same. Was here 2012 managing to get to about 180lbs, now back up to 250!
    I think I lost heart for about a year, but I'm back too! I'm also trialling thyroid-s to see if that helps from the generic levothyroxine rubbish that is all the UK offers.

Right peeps, lets try :smiley:

Thyroid-s is what convinced me I was not completely batshit crazy!! I ordered it as all my symptoms for so many years were adding up to low thyroid function but nobody would test anything but TSH. Slowly built my dosage up and it was magic for me. Now, I have finally got a doc who, while uneducated about thyroid is grudgingly giving me prescription dessicated thyroid and testing free t4 and free t3. Honestly, I think the thyroid-s worked better for me and in the long run is cheaper. Plus, then I don't have to argue about if my symptoms are actually hypo symptoms. I just dose as I see fit. I am planning on telling her at my next appt that she can run blood every 6 months and I will discuss with her but I am really considering just self treating.
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I use Synthroid (brand name) and Cytomel (brand name). Does anyone else do this combo? I have my Synthroid (88mcg) and Cyto (5mcg) at night, then another Cyto (10mcg) about 12 hours later (or when I start to feel cruddy, whichever comes first). My numbers are spot on with this combination, although I'm still feeling tired a lot. I HAVE lost 3 pounds in the past two weeks with careful food monitoring and exercise (back on the wagon, so to speak, since 2014).
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Can Thyroid-S be imported to the US or is it only for UK and Canada?
  • Pinupdollrawr
    Pinupdollrawr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have heard of this too. And have been told by doctors more deficit more more more. To they drop me to 1200 cals, and even 900 cals but today I went to an Army Wellness Center on post and got my personalized RMR and my body fat through pod etc and my RMR is 1744 wayyyy off from doctors. I have been under eating and my body was in starvation mode with the deficit. Even with MFP recommended calories I would be under eating with my lifestyle. So Idk I think this may vary person to person. It IS a good way to start from though and see what happens from there. It is where I started and realize that it wasn't working for me.
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Are you familiar with the Pareto Principle? This states that 80% of the effects are caused by 20% of the causes, so in every problem you focus 80% of your effort on the 20% that matters. In weight management this is your caloric intake and exercise output.

Hypothyroidism impacts your Resting Energy Expenditure by ~5% from clinical observations. So that means 80 kcals/day if your budget is at 1600 kcals/day.

What you're experiencing is water weight fluctuations. Speaking for myself my weight fluctuates ~5 lbs throughout the day and I drink ~96 oz water/day.

Success in the long term lies with small changes leading to big results over time. Write down 5 "bad" behaviors you want to change and prioritize these by impact. Don't write down anything temporary or that you can't see yourself doing for the rest of your life. Scratch off items 2-5 and focus on #1 - replace this bad behavior with a good behavior. Once this has become habit repeat this exercise.