Keto, high blood pressure, and the food you eat on Keto

Options
2»

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Tim Noakes states "High blood pressure is a sign of insulin resistance"

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-ask-prof-noakes-podcast/id882524927?mt=2&i=1000384912381

Reverse the insulin resistance and its symptoms will go away.
    High cholesterol, at least high trigs, is a sign also since it indicates an inability to access fat for fuel.

Thanks for sharing this new to me info @Sunny_Bunny_ . Per my recent NMR Lipid Panel my IR has more than just resolved but that was two years after I seriously started KETO WOE.
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I wonder if it takes longer to see certain results for us older folks on this WOE?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @RAC56 I am convinced both state of health and age are real factors based on my experience.
  • sherryrichie
    sherryrichie Posts: 113 Member
    Options

2 Keto Dudes - Episode #71 - The Salt Fix with Dr. James DiNicolantonio

This is a great podcast with lots of salt talk. DiNicolantonio wrote The Salt Fix: Why the Experts Got It All Wrong -And How Eating More Might Save Your Life.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    Funny how there are no facts, just blogs, podcasts, and fake doctors with strong opinions and books to sell.

"James J. DiNicolantonio, PharmD, is the author of The Salt Fix and a cardiovascular research scientist and doctor of pharmacy at Saint Luke’s Mid America Heart Institute in Kansas City, Missouri. He’s also the associate editor of British Medical Journal’s (BMJ) Open Heart."

From here - and endorsement by The Diet Doctor....

Not sure if you're referring to this doctor as being a 'fake'...?

He's had 187 Medical articles published....

To whom WERE you referring?

I have been having a lot of trouble lining up actual peer reviewed published studies and "facts" that seem to come through podcasts, blogs, vlogs, and books. The podcasts, blogs, vlogs, and books are opinion pieces, not facts.

The facts that I have found seem to suggest the diet is helpful for epilepsy. It is helpful for obese people, where even if blood pressure increases on this diet, they prefer to manage that while they get the weight down. And, I found some other interesting studies. However, I have not been successful in finding studies that propose the ideas that I hear in blogs, vlogs, books, podcasts, and of course, social media. It's just interesting. That's all. Lots of woo, very little substance.

I'm also going to stop criticizing. I don't care what people do. Its just not really for me.

We completely understand.
    Keto isn't magic.
    It's good for epilepsy and many other neurological conditions.
    Some say it has helped them by eliminating sources of food sensitivities.
    Some say it eliminates inflammation for them.
    It helps some people get a sense of satiety they were lacking so they stay on it more consistently so they can keep a deficit and lose weight.
    Of course, losing weight confers all kinds of health benefits on it's own.

But not magic. I lost all my weight on keto, then developed an autoimmune disease that, when coupled with the drying effects of ketosis, makes me an unhappy camper. So I just try to stay around 100g-ish. I was always flirting with the line with BP, mine was just over the good/bad line. I went keto and immediately it shot down to 115/65 and pretty much always hangs out there. I went mod-carb last year, and it stays there as well. My husband is lower carb now, too, though he isn't what I would call low-carb at all. Lower than the SAD (Standard American Diet). He lost 40lbs along with me, but his blood pressure still isn't impressed.
    A great many get BP relief. And a few do not. You may be one of those unfortunate few, like my husband, that will just have high BP. For him, it's genetic. His grandfather had it. His mom has it, his brother, and him. They must take meds always to even get it close to low end of high.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    <refresh>