gabapentin/neurontin and keto

Options
cottagegirl71
cottagegirl71 Posts: 167 Member
Is anyone taking this and successfully losing weight on a low carb/keto diet? Taking 1800mg/day for sciatic pain and have heard horror stories of drastic weight gain....would love to hear others experience and advice!

Replies

• tonimariehurley
    tonimariehurley Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's a lot of gabapentin. I'm on 300 mg a day. I never noticed any weight gain associated with it.
  • cottagegirl71
    Options
    Yup - was on half that amount of gaba and it wasn't doing anything for my nerve pain. Since upping the dose I am also upping the number on the scale and still in pain and not very active :(
  • cottagegirl71
    Options
    Thanks - good article!
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Is anyone taking this and successfully losing weight on a low carb/keto diet? Taking 1800mg/day for sciatic pain and have heard horror stories of drastic weight gain....would love to hear others experience and advice!

I didn't realize this was an issue. Hmmm. That explains a lot. I really hate med side effects. I knew the glipizide was hurting me, but I'll bet the gabepentin wasn't helping. Bummer. Glad I'm off both now. Weight finally going the right direction, too.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I take 600mg two times a day, and have been taking it for about 8 years. I take it for sciatica. Have tried not taking it but the symptoms return within 48 hours.

I didn't/haven't had trouble with it and being keto.