bulletproof w/ IF and Keto

Options
lottogirly
lottogirly Posts: 26 Member
Is anyone else doing the bulletproof w/ IF and Keto? Did the coffee slow down your weight loss? Is it better to just do the plain IF? I appreciate everyone here at MFP. Y'all are some great folks. <3

Replies

• 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    it is all very variable. Everything I see says that each of us has to figure out what is best for ourselves. Fung says that if you can do IF without the extra fat, that is better. But if you need the fat, use a little bit.
  • multitaskmom
    multitaskmom Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I follow the whole principle of as long as it is keto and fits in my macros...
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I think it would be more productive as far as fat loss to IF without adding fat but if that makes the difference between doing it or not then I'd just do it. I did it that way actually for a long time. I think I probably could've went without adding the extra fat more than I gave myself credit for at the time though.
    But, if you find IF doesn't work well without adding fat to the coffee, then just do it and try to use only the bare minimum you feel you need. You can always change it up later.
  • lottogirly
    lottogirly Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    actually, I was worried it might slow me down. I have doing IF with Keto without the bulletproof coffee pretty good. I tried the coffee today. It made me a little sick-not gonna lie.
    I was just wondering if it sped up the weight loss like the claims say it will or if most MFP's found it didn't make any difference/slower.
  • 62apples
    62apples Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have been losing rather steady but have gained water weight this week. I know it is water weight because I have not eaten enough to gain weight. Although I was successful decades ago, it a new venture for me. I am a lot older. Still, does anybody know how to drain the water? I am considering bullet proof coffee.
  • ToniG53
    ToniG53 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 64 years old and I have been doing keto for 12 weeks now and have lost 15 pounds. I love my bulletproof coffee first thing in a.m. and I mix it up between MCT oil, coconut oil, butter (grass Fed), hector, cacao and cinnamon. It holds me over til first meal at 10-11am, and next meal between 4-6 pm. Just two meals a day. So far, so good. My problem is figuring out the proper amount of electrolytes as I am not getting that "energy" everyone talks about. Oh.. being on this diet has gotten me off BP meds!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    edited July 2017
    Options
    lottogirly wrote: »
    actually, I was worried it might slow me down. I have doing IF with Keto without the bulletproof coffee pretty good. I tried the coffee today. It made me a little sick-not gonna lie.
    I was just wondering if it sped up the weight loss like the claims say it will or if most MFP's found it didn't make any difference/slower.

It does NOT speed anything up. Taking in exogenous energy as opposed to using your bodyfat will never result in using more bodyfat.

Bulletproof coffee is a tool to use if you cannot iF without at least those calories. Some people are too hungry to do it. The BPC can help with the hunger and it the next best thing to actual fasting.
    It's also a great tool to stop weight loss when you reach your goal and need to increase calories and find it too difficult to eat more actual solid food. You can much more easily sip a 500 calorie coffee.
  • 62apples
    Options
    ToniB53: we are basically the same age.
    I have been on keto for about 8 weeks so I am a little behind you.
    My problem is water weight.

On the ketogenic diet, I have lost 25 pounds.

Today...I did a fat percentage analysis.
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator/

It came out at 26.71% fat which is quite acceptable.
    But I weigh 250 lbs.
    So that means that I have about 70 pounds of water weight.
    That is about 8 gallons of water.

A body builder told me to use preparation H to shrink the water logged tissue.
    He said it works for hemorrhoids, and it works for water weight.
    I am going to start with only my lymphedema right arm.
    It is 2 inches bigger than my left arm.
    Definitely water weight.

I have had this for 40 years.
    I know it's 40 years... because that is how old my son is.
    Never thought I would share any of this with anybody.
  • 62apples
    Options
    Correction...that would be 20 to 30 pounds of water weight.
    which is 3 to 4 gallons of water weight.
    that is still a lot.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    62apples wrote: »
    Correction...that would be 20 to 30 pounds of water weight.
    which is 3 to 4 gallons of water weight.
    that is still a lot.

I was thinking that was an aweful lot!
    How tall are you? And I can't tell if you're make or female by your username....
    I'm 5'4", 142 lbs and 30% bodyfat according to Navy Calculator.
  • 62apples
    Options
    I am 65 yr old woman and 5 foot 10 inches.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    62apples wrote: »
    I am 65 yr old woman and 5 foot 10 inches.

Ahhhhh. You're quite tall. I figured you must be with your calculations.
  • wyn87
    wyn87 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Doing 2/4 IF.
    2pm - 4pm
    On my 4th week. ... Managed to shed off 6% bodyfat... Currently at 12.3% BF.

IMHO... Plain Black Coffee helps satiate hunger... I carry a coffee flask wherever i go (a full flask serves up to 3.5 cups).

In addition, do start with 16/8 first. When you achieve deeper ketosis, then go for 2/4.

There are immense benefits to 2/4 IF... Which includes having less to worry about meals since we essentially eat only 2 meals a day...

Lastly, i get these information from Dr.MikeVan, & DrBerg... I find MVan's Biohack series very relevant and effective. Heat stress after fasted workout does build lean mass....
  • elb306
    elb306 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    BPC with MCT oil ups your ketones level faster than just plain ketoing. I found that I can fast much longer with the BPC and it leaves me feeling much more focused and ready to conquer the day. I suggest starting with a tsp of Mct oil then going upwards so you don't get sick.

Hope this helps!