LCHF "real" foods diet - help starting

Options

Replies

• LCHF123
    LCHF123 Posts: 26 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Silly question, but how do I find this thread again if I want to? On the main forum, threads I've posted show up under "My Discussions" - is there anything similar in the closed forums?

Edited to Add: Never mind.... I've just found the "bookmark" star! D'oh :blush:
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    The way of finding threads on this forum is to be honest, totally abysmal. All you can do is highlight the little star (either at the top of the thread, on the right, if it's open, or just after its title, if you're looking at the discussions list) and turn it 'gold'. That will save it to your list. After that, you have to look at your saved topics by clicking on the star, top right, just left of the 'settings' cog. Then, you have to trawl through all your saved threads to find it....
  • EggToni
    EggToni Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    One last piece of advice is make breakfast the lowest carb meal. Higher carb makes you hungry sooner. Starting your day with a meal that stimulates hunger within a couple hours makes the rest of the day harder

I did not know this! I am still learning and love it. :)
  • Joac41
    Joac41 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi,@LCHF123, am in the UK. I have been doing this since March of this year. I have lost 2 and a half, nearly 3 stone. My H has lost around 4 stone and has now cleared himself of Diabetes type 2 and no longer takes any medication.

I am 4'10" (4'11" on a good day!) female and as you can see, quite petite. I weigh a tad under 8 stone and have just got myself comfortably into a new pair of size 6 jeans.

What gender are you, and what physique/height have you got?
    Starting weight?
    Hi,@LCHF123, am in the UK. I have been doing this since March of this year. I have lost 2 and a half, nearly 3 stone. My H has lost around 4 stone and has now cleared himself of Diabetes type 2 and no longer takes any medication.

I am 4'10" (4'11" on a good day!) female and as you can see, quite petite. I weigh a tad under 8 stone and have just got myself comfortably into a new pair of size 6 jeans.

Starting weight?

Starting weight?

• Joac41
    Options
    Hi well done I have been on lchf diet for 3weeks now struggling on what to eat and how much fat and protein I should have I need to lose a 1stone and half
  • Joac41
    Options
    Thankyou
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I am very interested in the study you are participating in. Will be interesting to see how it goes!! I think you will love this lifestyle!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I too think you will love the lifestyle.

I read through the pages of the program. Excellent in my opinion with no favored macros-just maximums and minimums. A focus on REAL FOOD. Makes perfect sense to me.

I enjoy the passion/sense of Sam Feltham (Director) and Dr. Ranjan Chattergee (on the Advisory Board).

ETA: Thank you for posting the the link in your OP, @LCHF123. Appreciate it.
  • LCHF123
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm quite enjoying this way of eating, particularly the lack of feeling hungry but also the very unexpected side effect of sleeping through the night every.single.night (which hasn't happened for years)!! I got quite nervous at the beginning at how low my food intake was (in terms of calories) but it seems to have stabilised naturally at around 1500 calories a day (on this study I'm not tracking calories, just macros). And increasing my salt intake has made such a massive difference to me - I have low blood pressure anyway and would often get dizzy or lightheaded (several times a week), but since adding a bullion cube to my food intake each day I've not been dizzy once :smiley:

The one thing I am struggling with though is how to hit my fibre intake requirement. The programme recommends a minimum of 30g/day and on a good day I'm lucky if I get half of that..... Does anyone have any suggestions for foods that are low (net) carb and high fibre?

And @Joac41 - the biggest bits of advice I can give you that have helped me so far are to keep your sodium intake high, to tweak as you go and to find some low carb grab-n-go snack options that you can keep handy (I tend to go for a milky cup of tea, peanut butter or cheese). You'll get things wrong for sure - I ate some watermelon at work as it was the only "healthy" option available and I figured it was basically all water. Not so true once I put it into my diary :smile: But from mistakes we shall learn!

I'm deliberately not weighing myself as I want to find out all of my results at the end of the study but my wedding ring feels looser and I comfortably fitted into some hiking trousers yesterday that I could barely breathe in six months ago!!
  • LCHF123
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I too think you will love the lifestyle.

I read through the pages of the program. Excellent in my opinion with no favored macros-just maximums and minimums. A focus on REAL FOOD. Makes perfect sense to me.

I enjoy the passion/sense of Sam Feltham (Director) and Dr. Ranjan Chattergee (on the Advisory Board).

ETA: Thank you for posting the the link in your OP, @LCHF123. Appreciate it.

It is a very sensible WOE programme isn't it? I've been re-reading it once a week (each week I pick something else to focus on for the week ahead) and each week I learn something new!
  • Joac41
    Options
    Thats good and thanks i will have to try the bullion cubes
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I must have missed this thread with my travels last month. Thanks for bumping this up.
  • kpk54
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Without going back to look at my diary or reviewing the specifics of your plan (see what fits in the framework/protocol), I like fiber in my diet.

A few years back I could get up to 50 grams of fiber while still eating low carb with LEGUMES
    being the 1st to come to mind. I don't recall if legumes are on your "real food" plan. I consider them real food though many people/diets don't.

flaxseed meal (I use it in Greek Yogurt and mashed avocados)
    Eden Black Soybeans (if they are available to you in the UK) are excellent for high fiber
    Most above ground vegetables are high fiber compared to below ground vegetables
    Brussels Sprouts
    Green Leafy Veg: spinach, Swiss Chard are my favorites.
    Raspberries have excellent fiber with low calories (Oops. No calorie counting) and lower carbs.
    Avocados- GREAT for fiber
    Coconut
    Nuts and seeds
    Artichokes
    Peas
    Pears and figs are high fiber, real food and may fit into your 130 max carb amount.

I'll scan back through my food diary and see what may stand out as high fiber.
  • kpk54
    Options
    @lchf123, Lower carb/higher fiber specifics (in addition to my other post) were: kale, cabbage, broccoli, bell peppers, grape tomatoes, celery, apples, oranges, kiwi, mushrooms, cauliflower, carrots, green beans.

Other higher carb stuff I was able to squeeze in for fiber in addition to legumes: lentils, farro, lima beans, steel cut oats (mostly because I like it). Again, I don't recall if grains are included in your real food protocol.

Suggestions only.
  • Joac41
    Options
    The only fruit ive been eating is raspberries and strawberries because i thought they were lowest in carbs .and having meat with cabbage green beans or broccolli i eat mushrooms and peas and carrots
  • LCHF123
    Options
    @kpk54 and @Joac41 - thanks so much. Looks like I'll be buying some raspberries (which are my favourite fruit anyway!)

I hadn't thought of beans, seeds or avocados (I had thought of nuts though, as the only day I've managed to actually hit my fibre requirement so far was the day I ate 700kcals of almonds.....). I've made up some chia seed pudding for breakfast tomorrow which has put me at 50% of my daily requirement already :smile: Grains aren't specifically disallowed (and would be allowed since they are real food), but the requirement is that the food can only contain 25g carbs/100g food, so oats are out, but I'm considering reintroducing them because I do love them for breakfast in winter!

I feel back on track, thanks guys!! You're both awesome :smiley:
  • Joac41
    Options
    Well good luck been on this 3 weeks starting 4th week and no longer feels as hungry
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited August 2017
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Without going back to look at my diary or reviewing the specifics of your plan (see what fits in the framework/protocol), I like fiber in my diet.

A few years back I could get up to 50 grams of fiber while still eating low carb with LEGUMES
    being the 1st to come to mind. I don't recall if legumes are on your "real food" plan. I consider them real food though many people/diets don't.

flaxseed meal (I use it in Greek Yogurt and mashed avocados)
    Eden Black Soybeans (if they are available to you in the UK) are excellent for high fiber
    Most above ground vegetables are high fiber compared to below ground vegetables
    Brussels Sprouts
    Green Leafy Veg: spinach, Swiss Chard are my favorites.
    Raspberries have excellent fiber with low calories (Oops. No calorie counting) and lower carbs.
    Avocados- GREAT for fiber
    Coconut
    Nuts and seeds
    Artichokes
    Peas
    Pears and figs are high fiber, real food and may fit into your 130 max carb amount.

I'll scan back through my food diary and see what may stand out as high fiber.

Just bought a case of Eden black soybeans from amazon. It came out to $3.20 a can. Not too bad since my whole foods has been out of them for a while now.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I must have missed this thread with my travels last month. Thanks for bumping this up.
    Replying again, because I had more time for a thorough read. THANK YOU!!