Blood test results

drosebud
drosebud Posts: 277 Member
edited July 2017 in Social Groups
Can someone explain to me how to interpret these? I've had these done as a routine age check on the NHS and have the full listing. I have an appointment to discuss the results with a nurse next week, but the listing is suggesting I start a low fat diet, so I'm expecting her to suggest this as well.

I've been LCHF for around 4 months now and have lost around 20lb, though in the earlier 4 years I lost around 40lb by low calorie (MFP guidelines).

From the 3 pages of results, the ones highlighted as being problematic are these:

serum cholesterol: 6.3 mmol/L (244 mg/dl)
serum triglycerides 1.4 mmol/L (124 mg/dl)
serum HDL cholesterol level: 2.2 mmol/L (85 mg/dl)
se non HDL cholesterol level: 4.1 mmol/L (158 mg/dl)

edited to add:
conversions to mg/dl added manually, so apologies in advance if that's incorrect.

calculated LDL cholesterol level 3.5 mmol/L
is highlighted as a potential issue, though the text suggests that this is only valid if the patient is fasting (I wasn't).

They have also highlighted serum creatinine of 90 umol/L, and have suggested I need to drink more water and get re-tested after 6 months for this.

I've read about the lack of correlation between lypids and fat in the diet, so don't need convincing about that myself. I would like to understand the results to better discuss it with the nurse next week. Any help appreciated!

Replies