Probiotics for Weight Loss and Metabolism?

Options
RalfLott
RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
Here's an interesting post from SelfHacked:
https://selfhacked.com/blog/probiotic-for-weight-loss-belly-fat-metabolism/

Here's the TOC:
Why Probiotics Help with Weight Loss
1) Gut Bacteria of Obese People Can Harvest More Calories from Foods
2) Bacterial Metabolism and Metabolites Can Change Your Metabolism
3) Fecal Transplants Brings Along the Donor’s Metabolism
4) Gut Bacteria Can Control Appetite and Satiety
5) Probiotic Reduces Inflammation from Leaky Gut
Bacteroidetes vs Firmicutes – The Obese vs Lean Link?
Probiotic Strains for Weight Loss and Metabolic Health
Mixed Probiotic Blends and Weight Loss
Probiotic and Weight Loss Tested in Humans
Bifidobacterium animalis and Weight
Bifidobacterium breve (B-3) Improves Metabolism and Reduces Belly Fat
Lactobacillus gasseri BNR17 (BNR17 and SBT2055) [R, R]
Lactobacillus paracasei Reduces Food Intake and Body Weight
Lactobacillus plantarum (PL60 and PL62) Burns Fat
Lactobacillus rhamnosus (CGMCC1.3724) [R]
Lactobacillus salivarius Ls-33 Shifts the Microbiota Towards Lean Bacteria [R]
Clostridium Butyricum (CGMCC0313.1, tested in mice)
Probiotics Associated with Weight Gain
Buy Probiotics
Further Reading

Replies

• AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Damn, I'm so near-perfect!! :D
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Well shucks, they seem to work pretty well for me.... So, as a healthy, trouble-free, maintenance-weight individual, I must be a total freak!

(Don't everyone agree at once.....)
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    My company is hosting nutritional classes (and the nutritionists believe in eating FAT!!) and they also covered this. I have never taken any probiotics but maybe I should start.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    Well shucks, they seem to work pretty well for me.... So, as a healthy, trouble-free, maintenance-weight individual, I must be a total freak!

(Don't everyone agree at once.....)

No.
    Ok...you're a freak, yeah, (Don't worry, you're in good company :wink: )but there's a marked difference between when I take probiotics vs. when I do not upon my IBS symptoms. Basically, when I take probiotics regularly, I don't have it at all. When I do not take them, UGH.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I find that diatomaceous earth really helps, too. I wonder if it is because it kills off bad bacteria? I've not given the background much thought, as any time I've used it, I've done it with (but offset) from the probiotic... (It also helps with ... too loose of stool, too. Okay, rabbit hole thought - I wonder if that would help while extending a fast to absorb/use up the excess bile?...)
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I've never taken them but I've never seen a reason to. I don't have gastro-intestinal issues i'm looking to ameliorate and there are studies that show benefits for those with some mental health concerns but I don't have any serious issues there (minus the desire to lay on my horn and flip people off who drive like knobs.) However, I've always been curious.

• RalfLott
    Options
    mmultanen wrote: »
    I've never taken them but I've never seen a reason to. I don't have gastro-intestinal issues i'm looking to ameliorate and there are studies that show benefits for those with some mental health concerns but I don't have any serious issues there (minus the desire to lay on my horn and flip people off who drive like knobs.) However, I've always been curious.

I might suggest starting with some light fecal transplanting.

Do you have a dog?
  • Adi4Fitness
    Adi4Fitness Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    they work well for me too, no more IBS , bloating , gas, there is very little that upsets my stomach.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

Do you have a dog?

ok so once, I stumbled on a show about fecal transplant. and hoo-boy. that's.....intense.

And no. I'll try most things once but I'm taking fecal transplant off the list.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

Do you have a dog?

ok so once, I stumbled on a show about fecal transplant. and hoo-boy. that's.....intense.

And no. I'll try most things once but I'm taking fecal transplant off the list.

Yeah, maybe best saved for a rainy day.