Missing the convenience?

Options
KellyJelly11
KellyJelly11 Posts: 7 Member
I am one week into Keto and I am loving it. I'm down 5 lbs, my appetite has shrunk and I am slepping better.
I find I am not missing carbs as much as I am missing the convenience of carb heavy food. Anybody else have this issue?

I am not a great plan ahead eater, but this is going to make me into one. lol. Anybody have any tips?

Thanks for listening, feel free to add me as a friend, I need some keto buddies :smiley:

Replies

• dawnz75
    dawnz75 Posts: 579 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Personally I am finding that I need to have hard-boiled eggs at all times for an easy grab. I am also needing to have lunch meat for the extra sodium hike if I am just feeling really lazy. It is kind of funny because I used to cook a couple pounds of ground beef or taco meat and it would last several days but now I am finding I need to pre cook meat more often and in greater quantities. Yikes I can eat 6 plus oz in one setting. Also I am finding canned green beans to be my go-to veggie when I don't have time or want to cook something else. I am only just about at week 3 and I know this is so personalized but I would love to hear what other people think as well.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    My convenience foods are the leftovers from a whole roasted chicken or a chuck roast or a London Broil or a pork loin. I can eat for a few days off any one of those.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I try to have leftovers around and if I don't I'll just eat some eggs.
    If I need the convenience of fast food I just get beef patties or grilled chicken at places like McDonalds or whatever.
  • KellyJelly11
    Options
    If I need the convenience of fast food I just get beef patties or grilled chicken at places like McDonalds or whatever.

what a great idea!!!! thanks Sunny_Bunny.
    dawnz75 wrote: »
    I am also needing to have lunch meat for the extra sodium hike if I am just feeling really lazy.

this is great! i need more sodium and i haven't had lunch meet around because I cant make sandwiches but this works.
    kpk54 wrote: »
    My convenience foods are the leftovers from a whole roasted chicken or a chuck roast or a London Broil or a pork loin. I can eat for a few days off any one of those.

ya I love leftover roasts and such. very convient. i have no problem hitting my protein quota for the day. fats are harder for me, and to stay within my calorie goal

• erika_307
    erika_307 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I know! I totally miss the convenience. I think that's the worst part of keto. I like to get the little packets of almond butter, low-carb bars, and different kinds of nuts, since they don't need to be refrigerated and I can carry them in my purse.
  • MellyGrooms
    MellyGrooms Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am blow away to that I do not crave any of my past fav foods that I can't have anymore. I have totally embraced Keto as a lifestyle, 2 months into it, I can't see myself going back to my old habits.
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Batch cooking saves my soul. I am much better at it in the winter and variety is necessary because I just can't bring myself to eat the exact replica for days on end. I typically make myself a large pot of soup for work lunches (summer is usually salads or a struggle in general) for the week and then supplement with whatever (veggies & dip, roll ups, lc muffins etc). We normally have a large Sunday supper that we can eat off of and then I also do a bulk meat, such as pork carnitas, taco meat, Mississippi pot roast, fajita chicken etc that can be used in a variety of ways. Taking advantage to freeze a few portions is a lifesaver too!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options

what a great idea!!!! thanks Sunny_Bunny.
    dawnz75 wrote: »
    I am also needing to have lunch meat for the extra sodium hike if I am just feeling really lazy.

this is great! i need more sodium and i haven't had lunch meet around because I cant make sandwiches but this works.
    kpk54 wrote: »

ya I love leftover roasts and such. very convient. i have no problem hitting my protein quota for the day. fats are harder for me, and to stay within my calorie goal

I eat high fat. That's what keto is low carb, high fat. I eat cream cheese by the clump. I like it. It's easy. It's fat. Less appealing than the "sweet fat bombs" I made and over ate a more appealing than pork rinds (to me).
  • dianaward0216
    dianaward0216 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are almost two months in and we both agreed that we miss being able to stop eat and go.

Sometimes when we need a quick pick me up, we'll ready grass fed beef jerky, hard boiled eggs, parm crisps, or nuts.

For a healthy fast meal at home we'll get spring mix, precooked shrimp and avocado, top it with your low carb faves, toss with olive oil and red wine vinegar and spices and you're all set.

Once we were really desperate and went to McDonald's and got grilled ranch snack wraps and left the tortilla. We don't tell anybody but it worked for the moment.

All in all, the more you do it the better you'll be at it. Initially it took work and we made a lot of errors (we still do). It's an ongoing learning process. The more research you do the better you'll be at it.
  • KellyJelly11
    Options
    thank you everybody for your wonderful advice!
  • chriscros63
    chriscros63 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It's so easy. Don't make it hard. Hard boiled eggs, cheese sticks, have 0 carb lunch meats like hard salami and slices of cheese that have no carbs. They are all grab and go. Make little bags of one ounce of nuts. I have 5 kids going back and forth to all kinds of ball games etc. I would just stop at a grocery store and get salami and some kind of cheese and grab a bag or cello pack of spinach or baby greens and make what I dubbed a Keto burrito. Meat then cheese stuffed with greens and then just roll it up. So easy. All the convenience stores carry hardboiked eggs and sandwich meat or cheese sticks. You can even order fast food and just ditch the bun. Keep it simple and you'll succeed.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    All cheese has carbs. It just depends on the increments whether labels round it down or not. So if you're eating 8 oz of cheese, even if it is a slice at a time that says zero, you will still have carbs. Lunch meats without as much processing might have zero carbs... For people who have to stick to really low numbers, these things do add up...

And convenience foods definitely help in the beginning...find some good ones!