How do you guys feel about the Keto Test Strips?

Options
vidaliababy
vidaliababy Posts: 15 Member
So some people use them, then I hear about some people thinking they don't do much. Do you guys use them?

Replies

• cpatterson0071
    cpatterson0071 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use them, but more for a guide line. I dont stress if they arent exactly where I want them to be, and I dont freak out if they change from day to day. I test first thing in the morning as soon as I wake up.
  • WeighWait
    WeighWait Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use them, I took care of a child with Type 1 diabetes. I had to use the strips with her sometimes. I doubt the doctor would tell me to use them to look for ketosis if they didn't work. I realize I am looking for ketosis acidosis with a type 1 diabetic but the strips are to let you know if they are going into it and properly treat the diabetic before they reach the dangerous acidicious.
    Is the implication they are inaccurate and discourage people who are just barely in ketosis ?
  • scottyp65
    scottyp65 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I think they are most accurate early on as one gets into nutritional ketosis, then are less accurate.
  • davincidaniel
    davincidaniel Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard great things about them (I assume you are talking about the urine test strips). I use the blood testing kit, it's a little pricey to buy the strips if you check frequently but the measurements are dead on.

https://www.diabetescare.abbott/precision-xtra.html
  • Rebekah718
    Rebekah718 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I don't use them most people say they aren't necessary
  • richb178
    richb178 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I used them 15 years ago when I first tried Atkins. I was very strict and the strips gave great feedback and kept me motivated. Ten years later after relapsing, I used them again with poor results and I quit after a short while. I've since heard that if you drink more water it will dilute the ketones and indicate poor results, and vise versa.

I don't plan on using them again - I'll just use the scale as my guide.
  • ljw5021
    ljw5021 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I just started using them because I geek out about tracking stuff, but best bet is to use them if you want but not place too much stock in them.

I look for consistent hydration and consistently getting a reading on the strips - I don't worry too much about how strong the reading is since the urinalysis one is notoriously inaccurate, and I'm not about to drop the $$ for a blood testing setup (or prick myself that many times).
  • MicheleStitches
    MicheleStitches Posts: 306 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I have been using the urine keto strips and get consistent readings (and I drink 10 or more cups of water a day!). They usually turn the darkest, or next-to-darkest shade. I do not know how accurate they are, but I find it a bit reassuring, and encourages me to press on.