Fibre

Options
What fibre supplements do you use when doing LCHF?

Replies

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I have not taken any.
  • aggiepringle6665
    aggiepringle6665 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I haven't either. I'm finding my bowels aren't working right since starting LCHF 10 weeks ago. I'm wondering if a higher fibre intake might help.
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I try to get all my fiber from vegetables. Leafy green vegetables like kale, spinach, watercress. You want some red and orange and yellow vegetables for the different phytonutrients. If you don't like the leafy greens in salad form you should try baking kale or roasting broccoli in olive oil. It's amazing. Roasting veg takes them to a whole other level.

Make sure you're getting enough water as well. That's a huge help.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    nokanjaijo wrote: »
    I try to get all my fiber from vegetables. Leafy green vegetables like kale, spinach, watercress. You want some red and orange and yellow vegetables for the different phytonutrients. If you don't like the leafy greens in salad form you should try baking kale or roasting broccoli in olive oil. It's amazing. Roasting veg takes them to a whole other level.

Make sure you're getting enough water as well. That's a huge help.

Ditto here, except I take psyllium as needed to, er, discourage irregularity.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I agree on the water thing.... and yes, a good variety of different colour vegetables is definitely beneficial....
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    My experience with my body is that I do best when I get my fiber from vegetables, nuts & seeds, some legumes, and a little fruit. When I have made myself a bran porridge or taken psyllium or any other unsoluble fiber, I get hemmorroids. Acai and other soluble fibers are okay, but I choose fiber in its natural state instead--that way when I am netting out my carbs it logically is taken from the foods that contained the fibre.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I have found if I keep my electrolytes in line - especially magnesium and sodium - I don't have issues regarding regularity.

That said, when eating far less carbs, there is less to be excreted. When you go, that is not really your waste, but rather the waste of the bacteria in your gut and some of that bacteria itself. The less you feed it (fermentable carbs), the less there will be to be excreted.

The vast majority of waste from fat and protein will be excreted via breath and urine with almost none via feces.

In terms of fiber for constipation, here is an interesting study I think is quite applicable showing more fiber may actually cause constipation rather than relieve it.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3435786/
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I usually don't supplement fiber on a regular basis. Like others have posted here I tend to get most of it from leafy greens. The only time I add fiber would be in a protein shake then its usually organic psyllium husk, organic chia, or organic flaxseed. My Vitamix tends to blend everything really well and the fiber helps thicken things up. I don't do protein shakes everyday only when I've had a heavy lunch or intense workout.

Also being active (even just walking) will help move things along and like others have stated keep yourself hydrated.
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    What fibre supplements do you use when doing LCHF?

Magnesium citrate seems to kill two birds with one stone, in the sense that it helps if you are supplementing to balance your electrolytes and also, if you take enough, It can help with drawing fluid into the bowels to help with regularity. Be careful not to take too much though or it will cause the exact opposite effect.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    As others said, increasing sodium and magnesiam (citrate) seems to keep me regular, though the..."volume" is decreased on a lower fibre diet. Some extra coconut oil will do the trick too.

I don't take any fibre supplememnts
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I actually avoid fiber. All of my issues cleared up without fiber in my diet.