Electrolyte replacement

Options
alonakushion
alonakushion Posts: 2 Member
Hey guys, I'm about a week into keto, I'm feeling great and dropping pounds. My only problem is I'm feeling very dehydrated, With some slight dizziness and I'm very thirsty. My research says I need to replace electrolytes. I've been adding generous salt to all of my food but it's not doing the trick. What are your suggestions as the best way to replace electrolytes?? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• BeeBubbaBella
    BeeBubbaBella Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Have you seen this post? http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10358179/low-sodium-and-keto-flu-electrolyte-imbalance-may-be-your-problem#latest I was feeling crappy yesterday (2 wks into Keto) so I made some herbal tea with some pink himalyan salt in it and felt great afterwards. I plan to grab some Natural Calm today from the grocery store and try this one https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2015/10/19/beat-keto-flu-with-homemade-electrolyte-drink.
  • 62apples
    62apples Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    And if you get short of potassium, you can get edema. Avocados are almost a free food since they have almost as much fiber as they do carbs.
    potassium: Avocado: 1 whole: 1,067 milligrams; Wild-Caught Salmon: ½ filet: 772 milligrams;
    Symptoms of low potassium include severe headaches, dehydration, heart palpitations and swelling of glands and tissues.
    You need 3 to 5 grams of potassium every day.
    One electrolyte supplement advertised: cal, mag, and pot but only had 11 mg of potassium. (not enough to count as a source)
  • alonakushion
    alonakushion Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Ok I know I need to replace electrolytes I'm just wondering how others are doing that thanks!
  • erika_307
    erika_307 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I drink a cup of chicken broth every morning for sodium. I eat an avocado every day for potassium. And, I take a couple potassium and magnesium pills every day. I feel great on this routine. I've also heard you can take "lite salt", I think it's 1/2 sodium, 1/2 potassium. Good luck!
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Ok I know I need to replace electrolytes I'm just wondering how others are doing that thanks!

I hear ya. I struggled for a long time figuring this one out as well. I still don't think I get enough sodium but I definitely feel better with the routine I have now.

I take magnesium citrate capsules (300-600mg or 2-4 capsules/day), up to 3 potassium tablets (600mg each) and I add two packets of bovril bouillon powder to hot water in the mornings. Each packet contains 890mg sodium. I put it in my travel tea mug and drink it like tea. I sometimes even add it to green tea if I feel like I want actual tea in the mornings.

I take 2 magnesium citrate and the potassium with my tea in the morning. I will also take 2 more magnesium citrate at bed time if I need help in the washroom. It's not perfect and others may have better suggestions but this one is what I feel good doing right now.
  • 62apples
    62apples Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    breakfast: I have three eggs and 1/4 container of wholly guacamole organic.
    gives me almost 0.9 grams of potassium.
    It's about 5 carbs but 3.5 fiber.
    when I started monitoring my potassium, I was very lacking.
    this is a good start to fixing that.
  • chriscros63
    chriscros63 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Chicken bouillon cube style and buy lite salt which has potassium and sodium in it.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Be careful adding potassium if you haven't had it tested. Using light salt made me dump magnesium like crazy! It can be deadly to have too much or too little, so just be aware.

After water, the needs in order are sodium, then magnesium, and then potassium.

Most folks can get enough potassium from food, unless there is something else at play. Magnesium is depleted in soils and affected by pesticides and GMO-engineering...so it's nearly impossible to get enough from food alone unless you are eating everything Organic and Grass-Fed, and even that is not guaranteed.

And remember that standard blood tests show the blood balance ONLY. Your body will steal these things from storage in your bones and muscles if the blood gets out of balance, which is how we end up with muscle cramps and dehydration, etc...