TMI - Bowel Movements after VSG???

Options
gamommy
gamommy Posts: 131 Member
I'm aware that diarrhea and/or constipation are normal after VSG for many folks.

In fact, I had diarrhea in the hospital the day I was released, and again when I got home. It quickly turned into soft stool, not very much though - especially since I was on a full liquid.

But since starting solids, I haven't gone. My last BM was on Wednesday the 19th. I couldn't take it today. I added 2tsp of MCT oil hoping it would upset my tummy and make me go. I felt like I had to...and then I sat.

I sat and waited patiently. I didn't try to strain. But after about THIRTY MINUTES I just couldn't take it anymore. I pushed and I pushed. It felt like I was delivering a poop baby. It was crowning! It saw the light! But alas...20 more minutes and NADA.

I am uncomfortable. Seriously, I feel gross. I just chewed two laxatives (they expired in February though?) about 15 minutes ago. I'm gonna drink water. I WANT TO GO!

Did this happen to you? Did you just start taking Miralax or something similar on a daily basis to stay regular? I've literally never had issues with constipation. I don't even know how often someone should be pooping when they're only consuming ~500 calories/day. HELP!!!

stock-photo-constipation-110862029.jpg

Replies

• JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Love the gif! Yes, this kind of happened to me. It wasn't 4 days though. I called surgeons office and they did recommend Miralax. There were a few instances where I was VERY constipated and it was HARD to poop. But... It will pass. I think it pretty much stopped after a few months.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I was prescribed laxido twice a day for several months after getting to 6 days without a poo

I only go if i have a coffee these days but at least i no longer need the laxido
  • gamommy
    Options
    I was prescribed laxido twice a day for several months after getting to 6 days without a poo

I only go if i have a coffee these days but at least i no longer need the laxido

I've been drinking coffee (decaf) since Friday morning. I was hoping that by starting solids and adding coffee that things would be just fine, but I was wrong. I'm hoping these laxatives I took work. I don't want to take something by prescription!
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    It happened to me too, it's pretty common among WLS patients. I called my surgeon's office because I was freaked out and they recommended Miralax or old school milk of magnesia. It still happens to me sometimes, but I don't wait too long before I take something.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    gamommy wrote: »

I've been drinking coffee (decaf) since Friday morning. I was hoping that by starting solids and adding coffee that things would be just fine, but I was wrong. I'm hoping these laxatives I took work. I don't want to take something by prescription!

Im over 3 years post op now, in the first 2 years i definitely needed the prescription
    I was given lactolose at first....... felt like i had swallowed a tiger that was trying to claw its way out and it didnt work
    The laxido powder worked well for me
  • gamommy
    Options

Im over 3 years post op now, in the first 2 years i definitely needed the prescription
    I was given lactolose at first....... felt like i had swallowed a tiger that was trying to claw its way out and it didnt work
    The laxido powder worked well for me

So the laxative seems to have worked. I mean...I went. It HURT LIKE A BIT** but I went. I still need to go some more but the pain scares me. I went to the pharmacy and purchased some Metamucil (sugar free) to help add in some fiber that I can start drinking daily.
  • clcmfp
    clcmfp Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    My surgeon said to take Miralax everyday indefinitely up to 1 dose. I take a half dose daily in my coffee and it works.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I don't like to take Miralax more than absolutely necessary. Flax seed meal and chia seeds are a regular part of my diet. I generally have a cup of "fat" coffee in the morning and it secures the deed before I run.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I think having a little healthy fat in your diet as well as roughage (once you can handle it) really helps. I know a lot of WLS patients are hesitant to add any kind of fat in their diets but I think it really does help to keep things moving.
  • gamommy
    Options
    garber6th wrote: »
    I think having a little healthy fat in your diet as well as roughage (once you can handle it) really helps. I know a lot of WLS patients are hesitant to add any kind of fat in their diets but I think it really does help to keep things moving.

Yeah I'm not afraid to add healthy fats - fats don't scare me. :) I've been adding MCT oil to my coffee. I just started so I haven't increased it beyond 2tsp yet, but I may...
  • kc82
    kc82 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    This happened to me and it was an awful, awful experience. I didn't go for a week and was experiencing the same issues as you. Mine however got to a very, very painful point that I couldn't take it any more. I ended up in the ER, where it was found I was impacted. Ugh! It was all a very embarrassing experience, but was so relieved once it was over. And to be honest, it was more painful than giving birth to my 10 lb baby. No joke.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Agree with @garber6th to add in some more vegetables with some fats when you're able to. As long as I'm careful to get mine in, I don't have issues. I do add in some Metamucil occasionally as that tends to help if I notice things are getting... slow. I've had to resort to enemas twice to get things cleared out. That was no fun.
  • sexygatubela77
    sexygatubela77 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Saline enema for when you're at that point you're describing.
  • gamommy
    Options
    Saline enema for when you're at that point you're describing.

Never had an enema before. I'm honestly hoping the worst of it got out yesterday even though I was in absolute tears. I bought some fiber supplements to help until I can really eat more fibrous foods and at my doctor's suggestion, I got some Miralax. No movement today but I'm hoping tomorrow.

Having never really suffered from constipation, it was difficult for me to relate or fully grasp what it was like when I was reading about it as a common issue after surgery. I'm confident it will improve with time, but I can't get to the point that I was at yesterday again.

Thank you to everyone for your advice, sympathy and suggestions. I know this isn't a glorious topic, and I appreciate it.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I had a 19 hour unmedicated labor and delivery...

...I've also had bowel movements that far surpassed any of that pain!
  • bebek10
    bebek10 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. 4 weeks post-op and I had the worst evening --3 hours trying to give birth to a poop cannonball. I can't even go into the gory details of how I got it all out. Pure agony. (Don't strain too hard so you don't get hemorrhoids or prolapse of the intestines.)

My APN said to take 2 heaping TABLEspoons of Benefiber in my first drink of the day (I use crystal light flavored water, not recommended in plain water). It dissolves beautifully in anything: yogurt, protein shake, protein water, on cereal, eggs. Put it in whatever you want, just get it all in. I get the whole day's doses over in one go (6 teaspoons = 2 tablespoons). It took a few days but now I'm not afraid to poop! Now when I go, I expel a good amount and feel completed. I've use Benefiber every single day for 5 weeks and will use it forever. Don't rely on laxatives because they're not good long term. Get your fiber in through low fat food.

I also ate low fat beans at every meal for the first week to help the Benefiber (Bush's white chili beans with mild sauce are quite possibly the most delicious meal in the world). Now I eat beans at least 4 times per week to stay regular--by that I mean to expel a good amount and feel completed when I go every 2-3 days.

Best of luck. This too shall pass.
  • gamommy
    Options
    So yesterday, nothing. On Sunday evening a bought a small container of Metamucil (sugar free). I couldn't drink it fast enough before it gelled up and was such an awful consistency that I could no longer drink it. I ended up going back to the store yesterday and buying Miralax (doctor's suggestion) along with fiber supplements which I consumed both of yesterday.

This morning, I added 1TB of MCT oil in my coffee and I pooped. It hurt a tiny bit, but I think a lot of that is residual pain from Sunday's fiasco. But now my stomach is SO UPSET. I can't go to the bathroom right now...there isn't anything to come out it seems. But my poor intestines/tummy are just grumbling and complaining and aching and it gives me the chills and BLEH.

Gotta find the balance here lol. Bathroom issues are no fun!
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Also try Senokot but if it's really bad get Smoothe Move tea - recommended by another MFP friend ;) Just don't plan on going very far...lol
  • lorriemb
    lorriemb Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Fiber, water, fiber, water. Repeat. LOL

Once you are healed and able to eat a variety of foods, I recommend this daily:

Fiber One cereal
    Benefiber
    A prune or two or three
    Hot beverage to get things moving--coffee, tea, or water
    Water, water, and more water

"This too shall pass" (pun intended) is what my doc said. A regular stand-up comedian...