Cheat Meals

Options
Legion229
Legion229 Posts: 33 Member
Along with every lifestyle change, program, diet or whatever they call it., most encourage a cheat meal. I am trying to get to the point that I have no desire for a cheat meal. What's your cheat meal?

Replies

• Mizzy58
    Mizzy58 Posts: 47 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    If I'm going to have a cheat meal it will be pasta. But so far I haven't had a cheat. 12819288.png
  • Legion229
    Options
    Yeah, pasta is definitely a good cheat meal. Do you make you own pasta. I make my own, it's so simple, and I know exactly what in it. If I really want to cheat I'll make a shrimp alfredo, but mostly make a basil pesto instead, because I feel guilty if I go all out. But that's what cheats are for. Once a week, one meal.

• Mizzy58
    Options
    Yes, I do make my own. I'm trying to figure out how to make it with nut flour. I'll let you know if I find something on the net.
  • Legion229
    Options
    Maybe coconut flour, might taste kinda different....could be good. I'll just save the real stuff for cheat meal.
  • Mizzy58
    Options
    I just found this for our pasta. I'm going to try it when I stock up on my almond flour. http://thejoyfulfoodie.com/recipe-homemade-almond-flour-pasta/
  • Legion229
    Options
    Going to Whole Foods tomorrow, I'll have stock up. Thanks for sharing the link.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @Mizzy58 - I'm not sure where you're located, but I discovered about a week ago that the chain store "Natural Grocers" has their own brand Almond Flour for $5.48 in the refrigerated section. I don't know if that is the same price everywhere, but it is here in Oklahoma, and most of their products are available online, too. Just a heads up.
  • Legion229
    Options
    Sadly, I live in a small town in South Mississippi and the closest natural foods places are an hour of so away. So it's great when I'm traveling to be near a Whole Foods or World Market...
  • Mizzy58
    Options
    We don't have that store where I live. But thanks for sharing.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    As I said, they do have many of their products online... I don't know if they cool pack, but it might be worth it if there were any other deals...
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Legion229 wrote: »
    Sadly, I live in a small town in South Mississippi and the closest natural foods places are an hour of so away. So it's great when I'm traveling to be near a Whole Foods or World Market...

@Legion229 - I hear you. Until I moved with work last year, Walmart was about the best I could do!
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    No cheat meals here as long as I can help it. I had a cheat meal a couple weeks ago while on vacation and it turned into a week long bender. I got home and had to detox all over again and it absolutely sucked!!!
  • Legion229
    Options
    I do enjoy my cheat meal, but always feel guilty. My cheat meals are are actually becoming more healthy and I guess eventually will just be another Paleo meal.
  • StephenBug00
    StephenBug00 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My cheat meal is having to go to a restaurant and trying my hardest to follow the Paleo guidelines. It's oh, so hard, to be completely Paleo outside of the house. Haha! I haven't had a grain of rice or pasta since forever, it feels like! I'm ok with that, though. I only eat out if I have to for an event or I'm super super hungry while I'm outside of the house.
  • rh0322
    rh0322 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm part of a fb group and something that stuck with me is that a "cheat" by definition is something that gives someone an advantage or to get ahead. Cheat meals do nothing of the sort. In fact it does the opposite....makes you feel like crap, bloated, tired, upset digestion etc. I notice if I "cheat" I binge on crap and at end of day only cheating myself and my own health.
  • Legion229
    Options
    It should be viewed as a reward for sticking with your diet all week. It does take discipline though. My cheat meal is usually a burger, I use the get a combo, now I don't even want the fries, and burgers are getting less of a go to, because I don't want the bread. If you have a cheat enjoy it, then hit the next week hard and strict.
  • jeanniepl
    jeanniepl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My cheat meal will come when I break the 300 mark. Pizza ... since I am pretty OCD about tracking what I eat, it is really hard for me to cheat without guilt and I hate guilt. So a planned cheat works will for me as a reward ... strange huh :)
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I am on the Autoimmune Protocol, so cheat meals for me = ultimate pain. I do relax a bit when I am traveling, and moreso when I'm abroad. Funny how grains and bread don't affect me as much when I visit family in Egypt than the states.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Hamsibian wrote: »
    I am on the Autoimmune Protocol, so cheat meals for me = ultimate pain. I do relax a bit when I am traveling, and moreso when I'm abroad. Funny how grains and bread don't affect me as much when I visit family in Egypt than the states.

That likely has more to do with the GMO - genetic modification of the grains to be more pest resistant - as well as the chemicals they use to prevent bugs and such here - pesticides and growth formulas. More people are actually reacting to the chemicals than to the grains themselves...
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Hamsibian wrote: »

That likely has more to do with the GMO - genetic modification of the grains to be more pest resistant - as well as the chemicals they use to prevent bugs and such here - pesticides and growth formulas. More people are actually reacting to the chemicals than to the grains themselves...

That's what I have always thought. I felt the same way when I even went to Ireland for a week. I get more nervous traveling domestically than internationally. Go figure. :D