Here's a strange one for ya

Options
aggiepringle6665
aggiepringle6665 Posts: 68 Member
edited July 2017 in Social Groups
Through years of counselling, I've come to a kinda weird realization. I am afraid to lose weight.
As a child, if I wasn't being ignored, I was being belittled. This continued into my young adulthood. As a result, I gained a massive amount of weight. People couldn't ignore me any more. In the process, I developed a nasty addiction to drugs and alcohol. I broke free from this at age 25, then I developed food addiction.
Now, as I am breaking free from disordered eating and losing weight, I am fearful of becoming small. Of fading away and being little and helpless again.
Irrational, yes. But there it is.

Replies

• Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I understand, but don't know what to say that would help. You should seek professional counseling.
  • aggiepringle6665
    aggiepringle6665 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Verdenal wrote: »
    I understand, but don't know what to say that would help. You should seek professional counseling.

I have sought counselling. That's how I figured this out in the first place. Now that I know what's going on, I thought I'd share
  • classykaren
    classykaren Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I wish you the best
  • classykaren
    classykaren Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Has anyone heard of the program bright line? Has some of the principals of O.A.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I don't think that is so strange! Thanks for sharing and I wish you well on your journey to healing from those old experiences.
  • mcy120
    mcy120 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Makes sense and not strange to me. I have some similarities with your experience. I too kicked my drug and alcohol addiction (been sober/clean 32 years) but food has always been the bigger Tyrannosaurus rex on my back - eating disorder started at 14/15, disordered eating started even earlier. I didn't sleep through the night until I was 4 years old so my parents (with 2 other very young children besides me) put me in the living room in a playpen. My mom told me she would know it was a bad night when she'd awaken in the morning and find many empty bottles in the kitchen - she said she would wake up, make up m a bottle then go back to sleep...4 years this went on (I was an extremely difficult baby/child!). I feel like food is everything to me because of that & still not being an "easy person", I don't reach out or tell anyone about my struggles or know how to accept help. I tend to do things by myself/on my own but I'm thinking maybe the key to getting whole & right with food and get to a healthy weight, I have to reach out and try to connect with others. I don't know if this is the right way but I'm giving it a go.

Anyone who is interested and understands to food struggle (beyond just "liking" food), please friend me (if you're interested!) or if you know of a group or other avenue to connect, please share!
  • coleyroleypoley
    Options
    How exciting that you've gained that insight!! I love when we can figure out what our subconscious mind is doing behind the scenes (so we can make real changes).
  • zoeymd
    zoeymd Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi Aggie, I don't think it's so strange, many of us have that fear of losing weight and shedding the fat suit. I've often thought if I become thin what will I use to soothe myself? Food will be gone, alcohol works but only for a little while........so maybe there's something enjoyable but not fattening? I'm all ears if anyone has ideas?
  • Desdemonad
    Desdemonad Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have deep trust and intimacy problems due to childhood issues and physical abuse as a young woman. I turned to drugs/booze as well (clean now) but after quitting that, and being in a stressful relationship, I started eating and gained 50 lbs. Now whenever I start to lose I get very nervous and often self sabotage, as when I'm fat I feel safe. I don't allow myself to have intimate relationships, as I feel unworthy, so by using this weight excuse I can avoid intamacy.